Why do you like Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Rustÿ
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 30, 2005
Location: Western Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rustÿ » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:08 am

The path to true enlightenment reichu is to experience everything u can possibly experience. Travel, Live, meditate and dont be afraid of the green stuff. Only once u realize the vastness and meaning behind physical reality and the non-physical will you find the way to true enlightenment. Wisdom is the most powerful gift you can ever have.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:38 am

I'm not interested in "true enlightenment" if it involves doing things I have absolutely zero interest in doing. I resolved from an early age that things like drinking, smoking, and "drugs to which I am not prescribed" were not for me, so the answer is simple -- I won't do them. I have little enough control over my mental state as it is, so the "green stuff" is really quite repellent. If I want to achieve a transcendent state, there are ways of doing that without "chemical assistance".

I'll stick to eating green things, as opposed to smoking them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rustÿ
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 30, 2005
Location: Western Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rustÿ » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:12 am

Aye.....i just got told :oops: im sorry if i offended u reichu

AchtungAffen
Banned
User avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 1728
Joined: Dec 07, 2004
Location: Sur, pared
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:35 pm

Freud, the father of psychoanalisis prescribed cocaine to its patients... until one of them died... There's no much difference, methinks, in prescribed drugs from fun drugs, only the intention.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 431
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: NJ, USA

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bp32 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:27 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Freud, the father of psychoanalisis prescribed cocaine to its patients... until one of them died... There's no much difference, methinks, in prescribed drugs from fun drugs, only the intention.


That was back before governments systematically studied and regulated drugs--which accounts for why Freud was able to peddle coke as a miracle drug--then we found out how harmful it was. At the level of serious narcotics there is definitely a difference that is chemically/scientifically based and not about intentions (weed is always the exception here). You can intend to simply get a quick energy boost by using cocaine, but it will have the same effects on your body (e.g. negative effects on the heart, addictive physiological effects, etc.).
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

AchtungAffen
Banned
User avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 1728
Joined: Dec 07, 2004
Location: Sur, pared
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:51 pm

But efedrin is a psycho drug sometimes prescribed by the psi's, still its a nice fun drug also. Same goes to Clonazepam.

Which all makes me think: Sometimes psi's who medicate do help, but the line between helping and screwing is so difficult to draw. Makes me remember as that girl from AB once told, she was depressed and the psi's gave her Paxil. They only screwed her even more, and now she depends on a lot of pills to avoid the after-effects of paxil withdrawal and how it screwed her. That's why I don't trust psi's. Had years of them, and just can't trust em.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel
Posts: 498
Joined: Sep 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Carl Horn » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:37 pm

bp32 wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:Freud, the father of psychoanalisis prescribed cocaine to its patients... until one of them died... There's no much difference, methinks, in prescribed drugs from fun drugs, only the intention.


That was back before governments systematically studied and regulated drugs--which accounts for why Freud was able to peddle coke as a miracle drug--then we found out how harmful it was. At the level of serious narcotics there is definitely a difference that is chemically/scientifically based and not about intentions (weed is always the exception here). You can intend to simply get a quick energy boost by using cocaine, but it will have the same effects on your body (e.g. negative effects on the heart, addictive physiological effects, etc.).


That's true, but there is also a strong dose of politics in the science of drugs. For example, in the U.S. many doctors have been reluctant to prescribe morphine to patients in severe pain (even though it is a safe drug under medical supervision) because they're afraid they'll be considered drug pushers by the government. Doctors in my home state, California, consider marijuana a good medicine for some health conditions--it is legal to prescribe it there. I don't think those doctors are stupid, but the Federal government says, no, marijuana has no health value for anyone. Which is correct? To take another example, when Ecstasy was outlawed in the 1980s, a number of psychiatrists who were using it to treat patients objected.

To a certain extent, drugs aren't illegal because they are unsafe; they are unsafe because they are illegal. A lot of "normal" drugs prescribed by doctors would also be unsafe, if they were illegal, and you never knew if it was manufactured correctly, or what was a dangerous dose. Many "normal" drugs, after all, are unsafe if you take them against doctors' orders, or take too much.

I don't mean to suggest the only problem with drugs is a wicked government that won't legalize them. Some people are allergic to them and shouldn't take them, and some people just don't like them. Obviously some people will abuse drugs no matter what, just like we all know people who can drink a little and people who can only drink a lot. But have you ever been to the Netherlands? If you believed what the U.S. government had to say about how bad marijuana is, you'd expect Holland to be like 28 DAYS LATER. But no crazed zombies running around the streets, just because weed is OK there. You can show bootleg anime there in the morning and light up a joint in the afternoon. And I have. And it's only the first thing that's illegal. ;-)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:29 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Which all makes me think: Sometimes psi's who medicate do help, but the line between helping and screwing is so difficult to draw. Makes me remember as that girl from AB once told, she was depressed and the psi's gave her Paxil. They only screwed her even more, and now she depends on a lot of pills to avoid the after-effects of paxil withdrawal and how it screwed her. That's why I don't trust psi's. Had years of them, and just can't trust em.


When I first underwent medication, I went through a few that actually did make me worse. Then, eventually, we found something that worked. After that, it's just a matter of maintenance. I am one of those outstanding people who isn't just medicated to keep the drug companies happy; it's because I suffer from some kind of neurochemical deprivation, and the drugs help me achieve optimal functioning. The psychological equivalent of dietary supplements (for those people who actually do need them), you could say. If it weren't for modern psychiatry, I would be even more of a psychotic mess than I am now.

The appeal of using substances for "recreation" always mystified me. I've always seen it as a form of bodily violation -- malignant invasion -- and I'll always stay far away from the stuff. "New age crap" has plenty of more appealing alternatives for people like me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel
Posts: 498
Joined: Sep 10, 2004

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Carl Horn » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:10 pm

Reichu wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:Which all makes me think: Sometimes psi's who medicate do help, but the line between helping and screwing is so difficult to draw. Makes me remember as that girl from AB once told, she was depressed and the psi's gave her Paxil. They only screwed her even more, and now she depends on a lot of pills to avoid the after-effects of paxil withdrawal and how it screwed her. That's why I don't trust psi's. Had years of them, and just can't trust em.


When I first underwent medication, I went through a few that actually did make me worse. Then, eventually, we found something that worked. After that, it's just a matter of maintenance. I am one of those outstanding people who isn't just medicated to keep the drug companies happy; it's because I suffer from some kind of neurochemical deprivation, and the drugs help me achieve optimal functioning. The psychological equivalent of dietary supplements (for those people who actually do need them), you could say. If it weren't for modern psychiatry, I would be even more of a psychotic mess than I am now.

The appeal of using substances for "recreation" always mystified me. I've always seen it as a form of bodily violation -- malignant invasion -- and I'll always stay far away from the stuff. "New age crap" has plenty of more appealing alternatives for people like me.


(cut to Reichu in EVA Unit-02)

"Iyaaaa! Yamete! Malignant invasion! Don't violate my body! Mr. Kaji, help me!"

I'm sorry; that was low, and I'm better than that. No, I'm not. Anyway, I do understand your own personal view. Because in your case drugs are a serious matter--vital to function--it's logical that you can't agree with their casual use. It's even possible, however, that some drugs which people take "recreationally" may be of theraputic benefit to your condition, if only there was more research into them.

Not that you should experiment with them yourself, as you say, but I was talking about how the illegality or reputation of a drug may discourage thoughtful medical research into them as well. To take another drug which isn't illegal but has a very bad reputation--nicotene; just like a designer drug, it can actually be altered to make it non-addictive, and this non-addictive form is currently under research as a drug for ADHD.

Because people abuse a drug and use it ignorantly is not the fault of the drug--it's just a chemical compound, after all. Even straight-up poisons like cyanide and arsenic have some legitimate uses in industry, if used under proper safety conditions. Yet many recreational drugs are treated as if they were as lethal as those substances. To demonize certain chemicals instead of studying them objectively is not much better than superstition; it holds back science, just like the Church used to forbid dissections in da Vinci's day. I'm not putting this attitude on you, Reichu, because what you say about your personal case makes sense. But I think if everyone used their head on the issue of drugs as you do, we'd be better off.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:21 pm

All this talk of drugs screwing you up make me GLAD I had to grow up and get a real job. Likewise i'm thankful that I never had the chance to do anything worse then wacky tabacy.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin
Posts: 1018
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: New York, U.S.A.

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:33 pm

Carl Horn wrote:To demonize certain chemicals instead of studying them objectively is not much better than superstition; it holds back science, just like the Church used to forbid dissections in da Vinci's day.


Is science more important than human lives?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident
User avatar
Posts: 1144
Joined: Jan 13, 2005
Location: The outer-rim of online g

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Titus » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:37 am

Dave wrote:
Is science more important than human lives?


If it helps to save human lives, let me think..........YES!

Carl, when I said coke, i meant Coca Cola....the drink.......

And Reichu, eating weed - although it takes longer - has the same effects as smoking it... :wink: :lol:
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:54 am

Yes! Do mad scientific experiments on evil criminals! Child molesters, rapists, corporate criminals, and serial murderers all deserve to be used as lab rats! MWA HAHH HHAHHHH.

Titus wrote:And Reichu, eating weed - although it takes longer - has the same effects as smoking it... :wink: :lol:

So what would happen if I supposited a joint anally?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
User avatar
Posts: 9109
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:57 am

Reichu wrote:So what would happen if I supposited a joint anally?

With that I really think its time to return this discussion to its previous topic.

:evil: OR ELSE!!! :evil:

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 252
Joined: Oct 02, 2004
Location: New Zealand

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Cogboy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:29 am

hey, thats a legitamate form of giving medication!
my grandfather was a pharmacist and he had this little mold that made small cone shaped pills...

anyway back to the main topic,

..........?

what was it again?
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 46
Posts: 2020
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Land of 11,842 Lakes
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:49 am

Why Do I Like Eva? Because i just do. And if you have a problem with that, Bugger Off.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:51 am

I like NGE because it convinced me that I don't use to do drugs, because I can get the same effect just by watching anime.

Oh, wait... That was FLCL.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sectre01
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 87
Joined: Dec 12, 2004
Location: At my computer you f00kin

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sectre01 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:46 am

I like NGE because it has nice sci-fi mecha action combined with an intriguing storyline.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 389
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: East Bumfuck, Mississippi
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby anatrok » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:09 pm

Sectre01 wrote:I like NGE because it has nice sci-fi mecha action combined with an intriguing storyline.


And the fan service, that important too.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident
User avatar
Posts: 1144
Joined: Jan 13, 2005
Location: The outer-rim of online g

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Titus » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:00 pm

Hunter21 wrote:Why Do I Like Eva? Because i just do. And if you have a problem with that, Bugger Off.


mmmmmmm, true -er words never spoken, or atleast not by me - barkeep!: Buy this dude a beer! -..... Besides, Eva is fun to watch when ur making out with ur girlfriend late at night or your making out with your girlfriends sister late at night.... :D and *starts talking to self: "i think the same goes for people who don't like ha-blow. but il stick with the x-brick comment though..." thinks a while and swears after realization that this part of the post is in the wrong topic...*
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01


Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests