Funi's 1.11 DVD and Blu-Ray missing Extras in later prints!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 11, 2011 9:51 pm

I just noticed something else Funimation didn't include in later 1.11 releases: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuArIq6cuh0&feature=related (Ignore the bad quality, I can't find a decent version even when searching for "Beautiful World [Promotional Video]".)

Though I guess it wasn't included in their first pressings either going by FFF4E's image...

Damnit Funi. I really hate how they weren't upfront about this (or other issues in general with their domestic releases) and try to sweep things under the rug. If they can't include certain extras they should just say so, that way fans can make a decision if they can live without the extras and go domestic or be purists and/or double-dip with both Japanese and domestic release. I probably would have just brought the Japanese DVDs or BDs from the start, personally speaking, though the translated 1.11 and 2.22 booklets are nice.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed May 11, 2011 9:56 pm

I don't even think that was included on the US DVD at all from what I remember
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah, referring back to the first post it doesn't seem to be (the title would have been something like "Beautiful World Promotional Video" or "Evangelion New Theatrical Edition: Prelude - Promotional Video", I'm assuming).

I'm pretty sure it was included in the Japanese DVD/BD though. Sigh. I really hope later printings of 2.22 DVD/BDs won't suffer any weirdness (unexplained rights loss) of missing extras.

EDIT: Better version of that above linked video here (and other online sites besides Youtube): http://www.56.com/u56/v_MTgwNTYzMjU.html
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:44 pm

:gendo_kimura:
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Let's see: I've first pre-ordered the blu-ray, and then got the DVD a few months later. I didn't check this myself yet, but if my DVD copy has the trailers missing, (and let me be honest here) I don't really care that much. Hell, you could find them on Youtube! (and because of this strange fiasco, I had to pre-order both the DVD and Blu-ray of EVA 2.22. Imagine if the deleted scenes or the remixed scene went missing? :cringe: )

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Fri May 13, 2011 12:55 pm

I doubt that would happen. Funi probably learned their lesson about negotiating for Rebuild's extras with the appropriate rights groups (esp. music) from their 1.11 "issues", and I doubt the same mistake will happen again on 2.22's BD/DVDs.

@SSD: I do distinctly remember the ORIGNAL SOURCE of the video on 56.com being 1min 50 sec long (I saw it when it first came on the web, it was a PV for the song.) If you noticed the MTV-type song credits on the bottom left, they disappear at that same time in that video. The 5 min version of it is probably a fan-extension.
As for the YouTube version, I think it was made out of whole cloth. No opening credits, and a fake-looking Evangelion website credit at the end (the site address is correct, but the font doesn't look quite right when compared to the actual DVD trailers.)

At any rate, you can't blame Funi not including those 5-min videos because they weren't on the Japanese BD/DVD releases of 1.xx either. I checked my copy of the 1.01 2-DVD LE (KIBA-91526) and it had the 2 short "Jo-Ha-Kyu" introduction teasers, and 3 versions each of "Fly Me to the Moon" (all ~1:30 long) and 3 versions of "Beautiful World (all ~1:30 long.)

RMZX
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby RMZX » Fri May 13, 2011 6:12 pm

My 1.11 Blu-Ray (That I just bought this year) has everything my first-print DVD has. I got lucky or not many people buy Anime here.
:|

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri May 13, 2011 8:41 pm

funny how there's talk about Funi trying to get the rights to EoE and that the current problems are obtaining the licensing rights for the extras and such

so maybe they're trying to prevent another 1.11 DVD fuck-up situation with that
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 13, 2011 9:21 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:I checked my copy of the 1.01 2-DVD LE (KIBA-91526) and it had the 2 short "Jo-Ha-Kyu" introduction teasers, and 3 versions each of "Fly Me to the Moon" (all ~1:30 long) and 3 versions of "Beautiful World (all ~1:30 long.)

What about the Japanese 1.11 BD/DVD release? Those should have ALL the extras related to 1.xx, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

I do remember seeing a legit version of that Beautiful World Promo when it first came out that was somewhere from 3 to 5 minutes long (and did NOT have any repeated scenes), but of course it's hard to find that proper version online now. Bah.

By the way, thanks for the information. :)

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat May 14, 2011 12:29 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:What about the Japanese 1.11 BD/DVD release? Those should have ALL the extras related to 1.xx, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

I do remember seeing a legit version of that Beautiful World Promo when it first came out that was somewhere from 3 to 5 minutes long (and did NOT have any repeated scenes), but of course it's hard to find that proper version online now. Bah.

By the way, thanks for the information. :)

I don't think it's on the JP 1.11 DVD/BD. According to this screencap of the JP 1.11 BD bonus features menu, it's got the 2 Jo-Ha-Kyu teasers, 3 versions each of the "Beautiful World" and "Fly Me to the Moon" trailers, a large amount of TV spots, Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01, Angel of Doom PV, and the 2.0 teaser trailer. Nothing indicates a long-form music video.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 pm

There is an extra underneath the Angel of Doom PV, though it seems to be the first trailer for 2.0.

Thanks again for checking!

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat May 14, 2011 1:01 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:There is an extra underneath the Angel of Doom PV, though it seems to be the first trailer for 2.0.

Thanks again for checking!

No problem. For some reason, I find it fun to dig into all the details of the various JPN and US home video releases (be it TV, Gekijoban, or Shin Gekijoban.)

BTW, you're correct re: the extra under "Angel of Doom".

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Are there any places that still sell Funi's first press 1.11 BD? Wondering if there's a surefire way to know what's first press versus not when buying online?

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 am

Maybe they removed becouse of low quality ? i have the brazilian BD (wich i regret since they didnt include the hd audio from jp track),and it uses the same master as funi, and all the trailers except those missin had good quality,the ones missing in the second printing had jaggies.
ANATA BAKA !?

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:36 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Maybe they removed becouse of low quality ? i have the brazilian BD (wich i regret since they didnt include the hd audio from jp track),and it uses the same master as funi, and all the trailers except those missin had good quality,the ones missing in the second printing had jaggies.

That wasn't it. It's almost certainly due to music clearances with Utada's rendition of "Fly Me to the Moon" in the missing trailers. It wasn't used in the movie itself, whereas "Beautiful World" was.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”