[MANGA] [NGE] How would YOU like the Manga to end?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:15 am

Dark FireStar wrote:How 'bout if they all remain together as a single entity?

Do you really want an ending where Shinji learns nothing and commits the ultimate act of running away?

Would the angels be apart of it when all the souls gather??

No, when Kaworu says only one race can survive, Im pretty sure that would include surviving as a single being in instrumentality.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:44 pm

No, when Kaworu says only one race can survive, Im pretty sure that would include surviving as a single being in instrumentality.

My take on instrumenatlity is that its noting I would concider " survival " just dreaming in the dark. IMHO thats not life just exisitance, their is a diffrence.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:02 pm

DatDude wrote:

My take on instrumenatlity is that its noting I would concider " survival " just dreaming in the dark. IMHO thats not life just exisitance, their is a diffrence.

I agree. The point I was making was that the Angels would not have been part of this single entity, which would have existed in nothingness.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:06 pm

DatDude wrote:

I prefer Kaji and Misato's approach to life to Gendo and Yui's--both supremely arrogant lunatics, in my opinion. I can never get around the idea that any armageddon which needs human beings to carry it out--and despite the Angels, NERV and SEELE seem to make most of the moves--reeks rather suspiciously. Of course, in the film ending, the Instrumentality did fail (unless Shinji and Asuka's actions towards each other were the final piece of the puzzle).

Richard Condon would have written a bitchin' novelization of EVA.

--Carl

"There's no difference between fate and free will. Here I am; put here, come here. No difference. Same thing."

--Grant Morrison, THE INVISIBLES
Last edited by Carl Horn on Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:08 pm

At the moment, the likely conclusion is still out in the medium term future, so we can still journey hopefully, that being better than arriving at the destination.

With the long anticipation, expectations will have been built up that may well be impossible to satisfy. So far there have been a lot of changes in pacing and emphasis as well as in actual events - with the endings that we already have being so divergent in their appearance, the third will, I expect, be substantially different again.

We can hope for bittersweet ambiguity as the best outcome, and just wait to see what the future delivers.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:12 pm

Carl Horn wrote:Of course, in the film ending, the Instrumentality did fail

It failed in the TV ending too.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:00 am

thewayneiac wrote:

As a semantic point I would argue that it failed in neither case, but was rather halted and reversed by Shinji. Had Shinji chosen otherwise, Instrumentality could have worked just fine - in either ending, since they are not separate.
Natsukashii, ne?

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:20 pm

Soluzar wrote:
thewayneiac wrote:

As a semantic point I would argue that it failed in neither case, but was rather halted and reversed by Shinji. Had Shinji chosen otherwise, Instrumentality could have worked just fine - in either ending, since they are not separate.

Of course, Instrumentality is supposed to be for all mankind. The "Gendo And Yui Ikari Latchkey Parenting Plan" seems to have paid handsome dividends for humanity here.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:47 pm

Carl Horn wrote:Of course, Instrumentality is supposed to be for all mankind. The "Gendo And Yui Ikari Latchkey Parenting Plan" seems to have paid handsome dividends for humanity here.

Not just humanity -- EVERYbody!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Reichu wrote:
Carl Horn wrote:Of course, Instrumentality is supposed to be for all mankind. The "Gendo And Yui Ikari Latchkey Parenting Plan" seems to have paid handsome dividends for humanity here.

Oh...yeah. HEY! Hey, Sachiel, how's it hanging? Cool Instrumentality around here, huh? Sorry for that stuff with the Prog-Knife back on Earth. It was just a--wow, if I wasn't a disembodied soul right now, this shit would really hurt!

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:08 pm

Carl Horn wrote:
Reichu wrote:

Oh...yeah. HEY! Hey, Sachiel, how's it hanging? Cool Instrumentality around here, huh? Sorry for that stuff with the Prog-Knife back on Earth. It was just a--wow, if I wasn't a disembodied soul right now, this shit would really hurt!

Funny you should mention that sort of an encounter, actually... Do the initials BES mean anything to you? If you're interested in the notion of what happens when Shito and Evangelions meet, under circumstances where they are no longer enemies, I suggest you have a whisper in the ear of Aaron's newest moderator.
Natsukashii, ne?

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:20 pm

Soluzar wrote:
Carl Horn wrote:
Reichu wrote:

Funny you should mention that sort of an encounter, actually... Do the initials BES mean anything to you? If you're interested in the notion of what happens when Shito and Evangelions meet, under circumstances where they are no longer enemies, I suggest you have a whisper in the ear of Aaron's newest moderator.

Dear Reichu,

You may THINK it sounds like the work of a deranged fan at present, but change a few details, and it almost sounds like an excerpt from The Book of Mormon. So some may scoff. But come around 150 years from now, and you'll have a whole state full of people wearing sacred plugsuits under their clothing, the fanfic origins of their religion revealed by the "Angel Rachel" long forgotten.

When you think about it, most Western religions started off as fanfics of the Old Testament. "Okay...so, like, centuries later, the Messiah is born, only he's the son of a carpenter..." "Okay, so, like, Jesus was the SECOND-to-final messenger...centuries later, Mohammed (peace be upon him)..." "Okay, so it turns out there was this whole Gospel side story, where Jesus went and preached to the American Indians, and..."

--C.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:28 pm

Carl Horn wrote:Dear Reichu,

You may THINK it sounds like the work of a deranged fan at present, but change a few details, and it almost sounds like an excerpt from The Book of Mormon. So some may scoff. But come around 150 years from now, and you'll have a whole state full of people wearing sacred plugsuits under their clothing, the fanfic origins of their religion revealed by the "Angel Rachel" long forgotten.

When you think about it, most Western religions started off as fanfics of the Old Testament. "Okay...so, like, centuries later, the Messiah is born, only he's the son of a carpenter..." "Okay, so, like, Jesus was the SECOND-to-final messenger...centuries later, Mohammed (peace be upon him)..." "Okay, so it turns out there was this whole Gospel side story, where Jesus went and preached to the American Indians, and..."

I see you've already been exposed to it! I like the way you look at the Western religious scriptures. It's a fun take on things...
Natsukashii, ne?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:57 pm

Geh? What on Earth does BES have in common with the Book of Mormon? Should I be scared?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:20 pm

Reichu wrote:Geh? What on Earth does BES have in common with the Book of Mormon? Should I be scared?

It would be hard to explain briefly, but I can see what he's referring to. The book of Mormon is, from a narrative point of view, best described as "New Testament Gaiden", or it's sort of like "The Further Adventures of JC" if you want to make it sound more hollywoodish.

That's the only similarity I am aware of. Your work supplements NGE in a manner quite similar to that in which the Book of Mormon supplements the Bible. The book of Mormon (and please be aware that I've only glanced at it a few times) is largely concerned with Christ going to South America to deliver the message of God to them.
Natsukashii, ne?

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Tue May 17, 2005 7:10 pm

>>
<<

Heh, referring to the original topic...I'd like the manga to end in such a way as to show the harpies. Harpies > You.

Yeah. That's all I really want from Sadamoto, a decent showing from the harpies.
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

Prons
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Prons » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:54 pm

Ryousanki King wrote:...

>>
<<

Heh, referring to the original topic...I'd like the manga to end in such a way as to show the harpies. Harpies > You.

Yeah. That's all I really want from Sadamoto, a decent showing from the harpies.

Yeah, the harpies need more props.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:52 pm

thewayneiac wrote:

Hey, whatnow? I thought the TV ending was what happened if Shinji didn't reject Instrumentality. Have I missed something?
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:04 pm

Space Penis wrote:
thewayneiac wrote:

Hey, whatnow? I thought the TV ending was what happened if Shinji didn't reject Instrumentality. Have I missed something?

According to the vast majority of knowledgeable Evangelion fans you have. The two endings are generally thought to differ in their presentation, and their small details, and even in the order of events, but not in their conclusion. There is substantial extra-textual evidence that indicates this was the intention of the director, and substantial textual evidence that show that this was substantially the case as well. I am a supporter of this school of thought, but it is still a hotly debated issue. I suggest that you either find an older thread, or start a new one if you wish to discuss this. There should be a suitable thread on page one or two of the Discussion section. However, please note that I will dispute you fiercely and with all of my analytical strength if you choose to advocate that the endings have a divergent conclusion. En garde, sir.
Natsukashii, ne?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:06 pm

I'd like to see Asuka have a bigger role in the manga, their doing to much Rei stuff fro my tast.

Go Asuka go ! Redder is better ! down with Rei wondergirl gets to much screen time!
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”