Case of the Mysterious Floating Evas

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Case of the Mysterious Floating Evas

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:50 pm

I was just rewatching 2.22 today, when i noticed in the scene where 00 grabs the angel core,she has no base and is not taking suport on anything !!
In my first watches i didnt even noticed this, i just assumed she jumped on eva 01 back as a ladder, but she is a ground level when she starts to reach for the core, and then she grabs it hovering above ground, you can see the distance as eva 02 jumps to stab the core and then 02 is on the ground, then when the core is about to explode you see 00 without anything under her legs to keep her there.
ANATA BAKA !?

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:06 pm

From what I can see on the BD, she's standing on the arms of the angel

edit: pictures added.
If you compare the height of the vagina-thingie on the angel's belly in both pics, she looks like she's on it's armpits (could be the chest too) or so:

Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:14 pm

lol animation.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:15 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:07 pm

That's not a "hanging on" pose. Hanging on would defeat the whole point; she's supposed to be pushing. It's either a screwup or deliberate fudging for effect.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Watch the scene again. It definitely appears as though Unit-00 is standing on a solid surface.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:32 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Unit-00 is standing on a solid surface.
Unit 01? =3

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Eva-00 is definitely propped on Sahaq in the cut after she grabs the core. I'm honestly more curious how Eva-02 is hovering in mid-air the whole time... If you look at the establishing shots with Eva-01 skewered, the torso of the sky-Chozo looks nearly two Evas above the ground.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Naminator
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Naminator » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:48 pm

I think this is the "suspend your beliefs" part of cinema. Every movie and anime has these moments.

And I actually didn't notice this before, THANKS for forever ruining that awesome scene for everyone!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:53 pm

View Original PostNaminator wrote:And I actually didn't notice this before, THANKS for forever ruining that awesome scene for everyone!
If they don't want people to notice this sort of thing they shouldn't put it in there to be noticed.

Incidentally, I just listened to the Mulan audio commentary in which at least three "Hopefully the audience won't notice this" moments were pointed out by the crew. If they don't want people to notice them, why do they mention them?

Naminator
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Naminator » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:57 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:If they don't want people to notice this sort of thing they shouldn't put it in there to be noticed.

Incidentally, I just listened to the Mulan audio commentary in which at least three "Hopefully the audience won't notice this" moments were pointed out by the crew. If they don't want people to notice them, why do they mention them?

It was a lighthearted joke brah, chillax.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that they didn't really plan on making those scenes like that, so saying things like "then they should put them in there" is pretty pointless, since I'm sure it wasn't intentional in the first place.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:12 am

In this case it was more likely intentional than not. When digitally compositing the different visual elements together (Unit 02, the Angel, Unit 00), the placement is always done deliberately and it's not as hard to not notice this sort of cheat. At least, in the programs that I work with. It could be an oversight for all I know, but if that's the case it's a pretty big one.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:37 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Eva-00 is definitely propped on Sahaq in the cut after she grabs the core. I'm honestly more curious how Eva-02 is hovering in mid-air the whole time...

She's got one progknife stuck in the core already, I figured she was hanging from it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:24 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:She's got one progknife stuck in the core already, I figured she was hanging from it.

Both knives go in at once, after Eva-00 grabs the core. Eva-02 is just hovering in midair for some time, while Asuka panics about the core zipping all over the place. She continues to remain suspended as Asuka gasps about the EKOHIIKI~!, whine again about others telling her what to do, and... yeah, just put that scene on again. It's all pretty ridiculous.

Even before I went through and screencapped the thing something didn't seem quite right. Might try posting some of them later.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:46 am

Couldn't it be that Unit-00 and Unit-02 were standing on the A.T. field Unit-01 generated? A.T. fields can be pretty solid in Rebuild, what with Clockiel's and Zeruel's shattering like glass after some major collisions.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 am

Oh Wunderbar!

That scene is now ruined for me >_> I never even noticed that till i stumbled across this thread.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 am

@SaltyJoe: "Standing on AT Field" did cross my mind, though an establishing shot of the Evas doing just this honestly wouldn't have hurt, were this the intent. Further overanalysis must be conducted!

Regarding ATFs' solidity, this is yet another thing NOT unique to NME. (E.g., Eva-01 ripping through Sachi's ATF like fabric, Eva-00 using a frickin' KNIFE to CUT through Sahaquiel's field, etc.) Just... in case you were implying that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Reichu and the other guy i believe you just solved the mistery,when Asuka shouts before el stabo finale, you can see outside the cockpit, the at-field beneath her, meaning she could be on top of it.

but Rei eva 00 is still magic becouse it would need to break eva 01 at field (like that weakling could),levitate and grab the cor, whereas Asuka came jumping from far, and if we look at the at field radious it must have been far far far away lol.

i'll try to produce pictures.
ANATA BAKA !?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:09 am

Okay, wasted some time... Here are my findings. (Warning, zillions of pictures.)

First, I'm pretty sure the huge-ass ATF is Sahaquiel's the 10th Angel's, not Eva-01's.

Here's Eva-01 after Shinji deploys the field:
SPOILER: Show

You can see it materialize briefly around her, to show that it's in effect, but it quickly becomes invisible, save for the environmental effects.

Now, when she raises her hands against Sahaquiel the 10th Angel, another ATF appears directly beneath the Angel:

Sahaquiel The 10th Angel can pass its hands through it without much of a fuss. There's a vapor-like effect at the point of contact with the field, but that's it:

And that's gone soon enough:

Additionally, when Sahaquiel the Angel "boosts", the ATF below it gets bigger. (This is easier to see if you switch between the pics.)

Hopefully that's enough to persuade everyone. Fun part will be next.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:45 am

The case of the mysterious floating Evas...

Some initial establishing shots, to give you an idea of just how tall the sky-Chozo is:

Here you get some idea of where the plane of Sahaq's ATF vertically lies after she "boosts":

It's still right above Eva-01, just closer to the ground than before.

Eva-02, taking advantage of sneaky storyboarding, manages to leap completely clear of the ATF and all the way to the Vulva Area:

And she manages to stand there for quite a while:

For additional reference, Asuka herp derping, with Sahaquiel right above, and ATF some ambiguous distance below:

So what the hell is Eva-02 standing on? Try to imagine her standing in front of that gigantic vulva-chest, as dwarfed as Eva-01:

...and there's no possible way her feet are reaching Sahaquiel's ATF. (Assuming it would be a terribly pleasant thing to stand on anyway.)

If you want to nitpick the choreography further, try to figure out how Eva-02 does this:

(Knives in core)
(Arms spread far apart, hanging from something... obviously not the knives.)

(...since she had to let go of them to hang from ??? anyway.)

Nothing obvious that she could have been hanging from; suspended in mid-air higher than she started, literally right below Sahaquiel's body (note shadow); lol.

To conclude with magical flying Eva-00.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”