Is there a Japanese Blu-ray with an English Sub/Dub??

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NegaBanks
Embryo

Is there a Japanese Blu-ray with an English Sub/Dub??

•      
  •      

Postby NegaBanks » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:52 pm

I figured you geeks would be able to confirm this for me. Does there exist a Japanese Blu-ray that contains both English sub/dub and "fly me to the moon"? Certain sites like to combine reviews for different versions so there's probably some conflicting info. I haven't been able to find concrete answers.
I want to buy a physical version of Eva, and the way I see it, there are only 2 good options for a gaijin like me to buy: the Platinum Collection (thin pack) or (hopefully) a Japanese Blu-ray containing all my needs.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: Is there a Japanese Blu-ray with an English Sub/Dub??

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:22 pm

Sorry to say, no. No Japanese releases have English subs or dubs.

I know this off-hand, but here's some evidence. First of all, a very good resource for Eva home media is this site. It doesn't specify if a release has subs or what kind, but it does provide the very helpful cat. # for each release. So if you google the cat. # for the Japanese BD Box for instance (my search term was KIXA-90501 "subtitles"), you get immediate answers on several sites.

Evangelion only exists on BD with eng. subs with Fly Me to the Moon removed, as released by G Kids, and the old dub was only released on their fanciest collector's edition.
Après moi le déluge!

NegaBanks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NegaBanks » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:49 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Sorry to say, no. No Japanese releases have English subs or dubs.

I know this off-hand, but here's some evidence. First of all, a very good resource for Eva home media is this site. It doesn't specify if a release has subs or what kind, but it does provide the very helpful cat. # for each release. So if you google the cat. # for the Japanese BD Box for instance (my search term was KIXA-90501 "subtitles"), you get immediate answers on several sites.

Evangelion only exists on BD with eng. subs with Fly Me to the Moon removed, as released by G Kids, and the old dub was only released on their fanciest collector's edition.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead with the Platinum thinpack for a decent price.
Do you know what the Japanese Rebuilds are like? I know they don't have dubs, but I read on an Ebay listing that they do have subs.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:12 pm

View Original PostNegaBanks wrote:Do you know what the Japanese Rebuilds are like? I know they don't have dubs, but I read on an Ebay listing that they do have subs.

They lack English subs. They're completely unaltered on English BD releases though, there's no Fly Me to the Moon situation there, so there's no reason to avoid the English BDs.
Après moi le déluge!

NegaBanks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NegaBanks » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:44 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:
View Original PostNegaBanks#943102 wrote:Do you know what the Japanese Rebuilds are like? I know they don't have dubs, but I read on an Ebay listing that they do have subs.

They lack English subs. They're completely unaltered on English BD releases though, there's no Fly Me to the Moon situation there, so there's no reason to avoid the English BDs.

One small problem that makes the English release inferior is that the 3.0 + 1.11 blu-ray has a color banding issue. The EvaGeeks YouTube channel has a great review of the 3.0 + 1.11 blu-rays. The visual quality took a hit to save space for 2 audio tracks. Not the case for the 4k blu-ray, but I don't have a 4k TV, so...

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:16 pm

View Original PostNegaBanks wrote:One small problem that makes the English release inferior is that the 3.0 + 1.11 blu-ray has a color banding issue. The EvaGeeks YouTube channel has a great review of the 3.0 + 1.11 blu-rays. The visual quality took a hit to save space for 2 audio tracks. Not the case for the 4k blu-ray, but I don't have a 4k TV, so...

Gotcha, then from that angle all I know off the top of my head is that the Hong Kong editions of 1.0 through 3.0+1.0 have English subs, but they are in fact dual audio too with Cantonese dubs.

However, the audio track is only 2.0 for the Cantonese--I'm not sure how this might or might not effect a color banding issue, but I presume that the banding was an issue on Thrice given its length, and the fact that the English dub track was 5.1. A 2.0 track would thus be less data, though Thrice remains the same lengthy runtime!

I can't confirm it myself or find any confirmation re: color banding on the Hong Kong edition, but if your goal is non-banding with English subs, I leave the ball in your court for that gamble. :emogendo:
Après moi le déluge!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”