A very old documentary on Teilhard de Chardin shows an apocalypse that is strikingly similar to the Third Impact

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CatwithLaserEyes
Embryo

A very old documentary on Teilhard de Chardin shows an apocalypse that is strikingly similar to the Third Impact

•      
  •      

Postby CatwithLaserEyes » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:27 pm

Here is an old documentary about a Jesuit priest named Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-OWt4rHM5A

In the documentary, all of humanity gets merged together into a single superconsciousness. Many of the images are strikingly similar to the what appears in the End of Evangelion.

Skip to these timestamps for the images
1) 50:35
2) 50:48
3) 51:04
4) 51:17
5) 53:05
6) 53:18
7) 53:58
8) 1:06:21
9) 1:06:33
10) 1:06:59
11) 1:07:23

Teilhard de Chardin believed that all of humanity was heading towards a final point of unification in which everyone is merged into a single superconsciousness. He called this point the "Omega Point". The layer of mind that wraps around the globe is called the "noosphere". The process by which the noosphere is formed is called "noogenesis".

The images mentioned above only come from the documentary. I cannot find anything like it anywhere in Teilhard's works. Did Anno steal images from this documentary? Or did the people who made the documentary steal from Anno? At first, the audio quality makes the documentary seem like it comes from the 60s or 70s. Then again, audio quality from the early 2000s could also sound pretty bad.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: A very old documentary on Teilhard de Chardin shows an apocalypse that is strikingly similar to the Third Impact

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:26 pm

Hm. I suppose it's not impossible this influenced Eva somewhat, or at least influenced something that influenced Eva, like Devilman.

viperzero
Embryo

Re: A very old documentary on Teilhard de Chardin shows an apocalypse that is strikingly similar to the Third Impact

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:04 am

View Original PostCatwithLaserEyes wrote:Here is an old documentary about a Jesuit priest named Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

In the documentary, all of humanity gets merged together into a single superconsciousness. Many of the images are strikingly similar to the what appears in the End of Evangelion.

Teilhard de Chardin believed that all of humanity was heading towards a final point of unification in which everyone is merged into a single superconsciousness. He called this point the "Omega Point". The layer of mind that wraps around the globe is called the "noosphere". The process by which the noosphere is formed is called "noogenesis".

The images mentioned above only come from the documentary. I cannot find anything like it anywhere in Teilhard's works. Did Anno steal images from this documentary? Or did the people who made the documentary steal from Anno? At first, the audio quality makes the documentary seem like it comes from the 60s or 70s. Then again, audio quality from the early 2000s could also sound pretty bad.

I read Chardin book once. I’m honestly not so sure how literally he mean it. It sounds almost like he means consciousness as awareness rather than a living super being sometimes and other times it’s more ambiguous. I kinda recall something by him a single mention on the possibility of telepathy but it sounded like it wasn’t what he was talking about. He’s normally very vague about what exactly his ideals entail. I’d love to watch that doc and see.

CatwithLaserEyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CatwithLaserEyes » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:43 am

View Original Postviperzero wrote:
View Original PostCatwithLaserEyes#942519 wrote:Here is an old documentary about a Jesuit priest named Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

I read Chardin book once. I’m honestly not so sure how literally he mean it. It sounds almost like he means consciousness as awareness rather than a living super being sometimes and other times it’s more ambiguous. I kinda recall something by him a single mention on the possibility of telepathy but it sounded like it wasn’t what he was talking about. He’s normally very vague about what exactly his ideals entail. I’d love to watch that doc and see.

The documentary does mention a "superconsciousness" and a "final unification point" at 51:04

This pressure combined with the nature of our thinking souls to coalesce, causes the radial energies of consciousness to concentrate toward a sort of superconsciousness. The final unification of our planet is the natural culmination of a cosmic process of organization which has never deviated since those remote ages when our earth was young.

There is also mention of a "collective human organism" in the monologue from 52:15-53:23. It also says that everything experiences what everything else experiences.

...in which each thinking element experiences for itself the same thing as all others. Megasynthesis. The sum total of all human beings.

I think you're correct that Teilhard is difficult to read though.

CatwithLaserEyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CatwithLaserEyes » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:32 am

I think it would also be of interest to look into the ideas of Teilhard's successors. I believe this article from a 1995 edition of WIRED magazine is of interest.

"A Globe, Clothing Itself with a Brain
An obscure Jesuit priest, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, set down the philosophical framework for planetary, Net-based consciousness 50 years ago" https://www.wired.com/1995/06/teilhard/

There are plenty of transhumanists, including Kurzweil singulatarians who look at Teilhard de Chardin as a predecessor

This article would also be particularly interesting to Lacanians. However, it is very theoretically dense and filled with Lacanian jargon. It is written by a Lacanian summarizing the ideas of another Lacanian named Cadell Last. Last is the resident philosopher and anthropologist of the Global Brain Institute. The ideas also bear a lot of striking similarity to the themes of Evangelion. It mentions that fact that the talk of singularity seems tied with the desire to return to the womb. There are also a number of religious references. https://o-g-rose-writing.medium.com/approaching-technological-singularity-and-harmonizing-rsis-6875366ac9c3

Currently, our talk of the Singularity is reminiscent of a Freudian desire to “return to the womb” or “return to Eden,” both of which are basically a “wish-fulfillment” to escape feelings of incompleteness, lack, and frustrated desire.

Yet this can lead to effacement. According to Lacanians, our psyche has a huge sense of lacking. The article argues that we had a sense of wholeness long ago and we are driven by the desire to return to that sense of wholeness. It speculates that people want this to be done through a unification of humanity that resembles the original unification of all beings at the beginning of the universe. This seems to me like a kind of Human Complementation Project in which we fulfill each others' sense of lack through a unification of all people.. The article argues however, that getting rid of the lack would lead to loss of ourselves and our subjectivities. It remains optimistic about the idea of a global brain however. It suggests a way in which it can avoid being like instrumentality.

In EoE, SEELE keep talking about returning humanity to its original state.

Instrumentality would seem to be tied to the Freudian view of "Ego Death" or the "Oceanic Feeling". Mystics from various religious traditions across the globe (including many Abrahamic mystics) set out to achieve an altered state of consciousness in which their ego boundaries collapse. The rest of the world no longer seems separate from them and things around them no longer seem separate from each other. This was termed the "Oceanic Feeling". Freud believed that this was all motivated by an unconscious desire of the mystic to regress to a time where they were at one with their mother. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/moral-landscapes/202202/getting-back-the-feeling-oneness This may have something to do with the fact that Shinji is underwater during some of the final scenes of the End of Evangelion. Rei, a clone of his mother is on top of him. This shows a fulfillment of his Oedipal Desires. Some time later, he drifts away from his mother and back to the Earth. They are both still underwater and in space but Shinji drifts back to the Earth and rises from the ocean as he returns to reality. This may be linked with the end title of Episode 26 that says "Goodbye Mother".

It should be noted that the psychoanalytic school (Freud, Jung, Lacan, Adler, Klein etc.) has been abandoned by the majority of psychologists. They find psychoanalysis to be pseudoscientific. However, my purpose here is to interpret the meaning of Evangelion. I believe that it still has many interesting things to say and I personally believe that the psychoanalytic school is not 100% wrong about everything it says.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:25 pm

This is a pretty fascinating find!
One would need to see if there is any Japanese language coverage of it; Anno dug rather far and deep for weird esoteric nonsense to include in the theming, but the things that do and don't make it across the cultural barriers are very difficult to predict.
Definitely a possibility, but will need further research into availability of sources
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:07 pm

This documentary made me have nightmares tonight. No jokes. It feels like something that shouldn't be seen. Some kind of mysterious find that should be kept in the past. It's in English, which I find to be a very welcoming language. But still...
It's a very interesting find indeed. The illustrations reminded me a lot of EOE's second half, down to the use of oranges and reds. And, of course, that sphere cut into different parts, among other things... What's interesting is that the process described in this video would make people connect more with themselves, while also merging with others. This is the opposite of what happens in Instrumentality.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

CatwithLaserEyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CatwithLaserEyes » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:09 pm

Here's another interesting find.

Teilhard de Chardin's theology seems to be an attempt to reconcile evolution with Christian theology. His theology seems to be revolving entirely around evolution. We all come from the same source known as the Alpha Point and we are heading towards the Omega Point through evolution. The Omega Point is the culmination of evolution. For Teilhard, Christ is the Alpha and Omega Point and all living beings will be absorbed into the mind of Christ.

https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1967/03/the-philosophy-of-pierre-teilhard-de-chardin

Here is the 1993 proposal for Evangelion.
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_Proposal_(Translation)

The synopsis on page 2 says
Humanity has reached its evolutionary limit. Their salvation lies in invoking the Human Instrumentality Project.

Many descriptions of the Human Instrumentality Project, including that of our own wiki's, describes it as a "forced evolution"
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Human_Instrumentality_Project

The Human Instrumentality Project (人類補完計画, Jinrui Hokan Keikaku) is Seele's secret goal: the forced evolution of humanity through bringing about Third Impact under their own control.

Our own wiki has observed the following
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Seele

The use of monoliths as representatives of Seele is regarded as an homage to the evolution inducing monoliths from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Back to the 1967 Ministry Magazine article in the link above. Here is a belief that Teilhard had on evolution which resembles the synopsis of Evangelion stated above.

He conceived mankind to be an unfinished product of past evolution and firmly be­lieved that in the future he would become a transcendent result of biological and psy­chosocial development.

Back to the 1993 proposal. Page 13 is on the Human Instrumentality Project

The one who is advocating and recommending this plan is Gendo Ikari, the father of the main character. Through “artificial evolutionary research,” he is single-mindedly pursuing the form of a human who has achieved the ultimate evolution…

The phrase "form of a human" seems to resemble the "collective human organism" that is mentioned and illustrated in the documentary 52:15-53:23 (Giant person appears in 53:07)
Mankind, a sort of collective human organism that is forming a layer of thinking substance of planetary dimensions. A noosphere that develops and intertwines it's fibers to reinforce all men in the living unity of one single tissue.
This is said in 52:43-53:04

EvaGeeks wiki notes that the there are translation errors because for page 13 because it was translated by a professional who was not familiar with the series. It may be argued however, that perhaps the best translation would require someone familiar with both the series and with Teilhard de Chardin's work and possibly some other esoteric Abrahamic group. This may be why the phrase "form of a human who has achieved the ultimate evolution..." or "perfect human" appears in the translation. For Teilhard, humanity is evolving into a state of perfection in which it becomes one with Christ. The phrase "perfect human" in the 1993 proposal may be a reference to this.

Back to Teilhard. Christ is the Alpha and Omega Point. Everyone is going to be merged with the divine. As Jesus says in the Book of Revelation

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End." Revelation 22:13-15 NIV

Or as Keel Lorenz put it in EoE as he was about to be turned into LCL.

The Beginning and the End are one and the same

As Dr. Fuyutsuki said during the Third Impact scene

The Chamber of Guf (Hall of Souls) has been unsealed...
Has the door to the world's beginning and end finally opened?

Finally, there is an interesting yet unconfirmed claim from wikipedia. It states that Anno said in a February 1995 edition of Animerica that Evangelion will be about evolution, God and the implications of God's existence. In the reference section, citation 12 reads,

Anno says the new offering from Gainax will consider some of the ultimate questions posed by science fiction, and, indeed, philosophy, such as: What is the nature of evolution? What is humanity's relationship to his or her God? Does god, in fact, exist? What does it mean for the human race if that question can be answered definitively?" From "Gainax Returns to Anime with Shinseiki Evangelion", published in the February 1995 edition of Animerica, and as quoted in Neon Genesis Evangelion, volume 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_of_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion

This remains unconfirmed. Can anyone obtain a copy of this February 1995 edition of Animerica? It is also supposedly quoted in volume 10 of the NGE manga. Can anyone check this?
Last edited by CatwithLaserEyes on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CatwithLaserEyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CatwithLaserEyes » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:09 pm

Here's an interesting entry from the Journal of Evolution and Technology. It is written by a philosopher commenting on Teilhard de Chardin and the relations between Teilhard's thought and transhumanism and Kurzweil. The author modernizes Teilhard's thought.

https://jetpress.org/v20/steinhart.htm

In section 8.2 titled "the emergence of the Spirit of the Earth", he shows a possibility that looks identical to the Third Impact.

We thus posit an Earth covered by a layer of pure computronium. This computronium is composed of self-constructing and self-repairing nano-machines (nanobots). It is like Bill Joy’s grey goo, but it is not life-destroying. Rather, this layer of nanobots is a single living thinking substance. It is a layer of living and thinking material. It is solar-powered. All living systems are eventually scanned and their body-programs are uploaded into the layer of computronium. They live in a virtual reality simulation of their past ecosystems. But this virtual reality is not unreal. It is made of real mass-energy.

The evolution of computation on Earth leads to the conversion of the whole Earth into a planetary super-computer. Teilhard says we aim at “an interior totalization of the world upon itself, in the unanimous construction of a spirit of the Earth” (PHEN: 253). The spirit of the Earth is the totality of (human and non-human) software processes running on the planetary super-computer:...

It then goes on to speculate on the material expansion of the noosphere into the rest of the universe. This is something that Kurzweil has talked about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAJkDrBCA6k

Let us turn our attention briefly to the description of the YouTube video containing the Teilhard de Chardin documentary. It states,

It appears that Teilhard de Chardin did, indeed, come to the same philosophical understanding as did Sri Aurobindo. This video has been downloaded from the withinfilm youtube channel and is presented as an aid for Westerners to understand Sri Aurobindo.

Here is a Sri Aurobindo quote,

The Spirit shall look out through Matter’s gaze

And Matter shall reveal the Spirit’s face.

Then man and superman shall be at one

And all the earth become a single life.

Sri Aurobindo – Savitri: CWSA, Vol. 34, Book Eleven, p. 709

https://themothersguidance.com/spirit-matter/

Terrence McKenna said a lot about the Omega Point which he called the Transcendental Object at the End of Time. It is a part of his theory called Novelty Theory.

Technology in the form of cybernetics is becoming the coral reef or the technological excretion that is the truly hardwired portion of the unconscious now. And I see this as the feminine; the goddess reemerging into three-dimensional space in the form of what Teilhard de Chardin called the noösphere, but which is more correctly identified as Sophía (the emanation of wisdom as a feminine spirit), as puruṣa, as electricity which completely girdles the planet and transforms it into the alchemical stone; the entity. It is the planet which is the thing that is being worked on. This is why alchemy and history can be seen to be the same thing. This is why this conference is called Shamanism, Alchemy, and the Millennium: because it’s my conviction that the historical process mirroring intuitively these larger cosmic processes and smaller cosmic processes of complexification is an actual intentionalization of the creation of this overmind—or not so much its creation, but its invocation into matter. To save us is essentially why this is happening. In other words, it’s a gnostic myth of the descent of the overmind into matter to recover what was lost into matter, which is the spark of being the oversoul in ourselves. To return to the imagination without having to pass through the narrow gate of death.

This is stated from 12:19

https://www.organism.earth/library/document/shamanism-alchemy-millennium

In EoE the planet turns red first. In later scenes, it is purple just like in the Teilhard documentary. Just as McKenna said, the planet becomes the alchemical stone. Rei is the divine feminine. She is technology in the form of cybernetics and she brings everyone into the noosphere. My speculation is that if this comes into existence, the people in the simulations inside the grey goo wrapping around the Earth might form a psychedelic hive mind by replicating psychedelic experiences inside the noosphere. They attain mass ego death and the ego boundaries between themselves and the rest of the world collapse like a collapsing AT Field.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:49 pm

I'm glad to see that someone else in the fandom discovered de Chardin. I when I did a few years ago, I told a couple other users about it and one explained that Anno and the others who worked on the show were more likely they were inspired by other works such as Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is unlikely.

One more interesting thought: It might be a coincidence, but it seems to me that the clothing that the members of SEELE wear at the beginning of the show are similar to those worn by members of the Jesuit order.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

CatwithLaserEyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CatwithLaserEyes » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:13 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I'm glad to see that someone else in the fandom discovered de Chardin. I when I did a few years ago, I told a couple other users about it and one explained that Anno and the others who worked on the show were more likely they were inspired by other works such as Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is unlikely.

One more interesting thought: It might be a coincidence, but it seems to me that the clothing that the members of SEELE wear at the beginning of the show are similar to those worn by members of the Jesuit order.

Teilhard did inspire a lot of fiction with his "Omega Point" concept. This podcast discusses various Omega Point inspired fiction including our very own Neon Genesis Evangelion. It spoils all the works that it talks about though. There is a list of works discussed on the page.

Childhood's End may predate Phenonemon of Man, however Evangelion seems to be an example of Omega Point fiction.

https://podcultureoz.com/episode-2-omega-point-sensates-and-space-cannibals/

Here, futurist Isaac Arthur discusses the Omega Point. At 8:45, he states that it had a lot of influence in science fiction in the 70s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxHRFN4rs0

viperzero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:16 pm

https://www.organism.earth/library/docu ... footnote-4

. I am thinking, of course, in the first place of the extraordinary network of radio and television communications which, perhaps anticipating the direct syntonization of brains through the mysterious power of telepathy, already link us all (Text sourced from https://www.organism.earth/library/docu ... footnote-4) in a sort of “etherized” universal consciousness.

.mean the pervasion of the human mass by the power of sympathy. It may in part be passive sympathy, a communication of mind and spirit that will make the phenomenon of telepathy, still sporadic and haphazard, both general and normal. But above all it will be a state of active sympathy in which each separate human element, breaking out of its insulated state under the impulse of the high tensions generated in the Noösphere, will emerge (Text sourced from https://www.organism.earth/library/docu ... footnote-4) into a field of prodigious affinities, which we may already conjecture in theory. For if the power of attraction between simple atoms is so great, what may we not expect if similar bonds are contracted between human molecules? Humanity, as I have said, is building its composite brain beneath our eyes.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”