Currently Playing 5: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Currently Playing 5: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:34 am

I beat Future Redeemed. I wish this had been the base game and had gotten the full treatment while base game XB3 had been like DLC epilogue. I was much more into the cast here and their general dynamics despite some rushed elements because of DLC limitations.

Unfortunately the larger overall story is one of those rushed elements I think, and frankly I was still fairly confused about several things after beating it.
SPOILER: Show
Like I don't really quite got the whole Alvis/A split and what drove Alvis so genocidal, or what happened to like half the cast of XB1/2, or what exactly Shulk, Rex, and A are doing in the ending. I never understood any of the Fog Beast stuff in Future Connected and still don't understand why they're running around in Aionios.

Also I guess the worlds merge again in the end but I wonder how it works exactly. Like do people born on Aionios still exist or what? Also did they actually try and tie the story from fucking Xenoblade X into this?

Also apparently I need to play Xenosaga finally.

Still I liked DLC overall and had fun with it.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:25 pm

Yeah, I got through it earlier today as well and HO BOY it is a lot.
Has an excellent cast, A is a strong contender for being my favorite Xenoblade character period.

It also addressed all of the things that bothered me about the main game thematically, so now I can finally lift the Madoka Rebellion maxim and declare XBC3 as a confident 9/10 in my book. I had a great time with both stories.

And yeah, the lore implications of all of this are nuts; hell, if I have the metaphysics, right, not even A, who I was fully expecting to end up being permadead outside of Aionios, might end up being?
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:31 pm

I don't know that I understand the mechanics really, but I'm guessing they'd bring A because how could you not? A rules.

Tbh the more think about it the more I really hope the specific implication of the radio scene isn't that this is all just XBX prequel i.e. the worlds remerge and then get owned by the Ganglion from X. That would kinda bum me out tbh, but its hard not to notice the similarity of the city in that scene to like New Los Angeles. Though if that is the case, it would maybe give Z an actual sympathetic to some degree motive to perpetuate the Endless Now if he somehow knew that the Ganglion were coming down the line otherwise.

I did like this crackpot theory I saw online that perhaps the alien world from X is actually the remerged Earth somehow (And it would sorta kind of explain weirdness in that game's own ending) but I don't think I'm ready to commit to that yet.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:20 pm

My knowledge of X is very minimal, so I don't really have any takes on this; my gut response is probably not that, especially since I've seen some people say that the namedrops in the radio were Xenosaga, not Xenoblade X
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun May 07, 2023 7:40 pm

Yep, these are references to Xenosaga Episode III; Dmitri Yuriev, who is mentioned on the radio, is the main antagonist of that game. MONOLITHSOFT had to ask permission from BANDAI NAMCO* to use the name and also the logo that can be seen on the radio. I don't see a connection with Xenoblade X yet.

References to Xenosaga are nothing new in Xenoblade:
  • KOS-MOS and T-elos are heavily based on KOS-MOS and T-elos from Xenosaga;
  • Pyra’s, Mythra’s and Malos’s Core Crystals from Xenoblade 2, as well as Alvis’s necklace in Xenoblade Definitive Edition and A’s earing in this DLC, all them are heavily inspired by the Zohar – there’s an eponymous object in Xenogears too.
In the post-credits scene, something is seen falling from the universe towards the new Aionios. It is very similar to the ending of Xenosaga Episode III when KOS-MOS drifts to Lost Jerusalem (Earth).

Xenosaga was not finished properly, due the poor sales the project was canceled. I don’t know what they're really planning with all this, but the possobility of a Xenosaga remake isn’t out of the question.

* You find a copyright information in “Intellectual Property Information”.

Anyway, I finished the DLC just today, and I feel like Takahashi did what he wanted to do with Xenosaga. Well done!
Now the final battle song is stuck in my mind.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon May 08, 2023 1:32 am

The Project Exodus stuff that the radio mentions is straight out of Xenoblade X, which is big part of entire premise of that game. It seems likely to me that they're melding Xenoblade 1-3, X, and Saga trilogy into some kind of super narrative even if some details along the way get changed a la Definitive Edition changes to align Xenoblade 1 with XB2's reveals. It might also be something more akin to Turn A Gundam's "Correct Century" timeline that has different shows fitting together even if the specifics don't quite make sense.

The "Philadelphia class ships" they mention are apparently a Xenogears thing I forgot about, but because legal headaches involved I doubt we'll get many explicit connections to that.

Anyways I just finished Xenosaga 1 myself and quite liked it. It's a little older than I realized going in (Original Japanese release was in 2002 jesus christ) and shows its age, but I enjoyed it overall despite some obnoxious bits like how missable some of those god damned e-mails are and some battle animations taking 1000 years to finish. Really looking forward to playing 2 and 3 after Tears of the Kingdom.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue May 09, 2023 8:55 am

Luxin did a video on that, it's not a Xenoblade X thing, the events do not line up. This is straight Xenosaga.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:57 pm

Been running through Doom, Carmack was right about stories in these games, they're a window dressing in many respects. Gameplay is pretty tight as you'd expect.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:15 am

Quake II Remastered
Now this was a pleasant surprise, I've played hrough the main campaign, as great as I remember, AI is improved, a well balanced power fantasy even on hard mode. This is a genuine remaster and I wish more games went this way instead of remakes.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:39 am

Played Heaven Will Be Mine after seeing it recommended by a mutual; it's a bit obtuse at the start, with extremely rapid-fire introduction to lore and concepts even by the standards that those here are used to, but quite fun once you settle into the rhythm of things; the cast is small, only a three mains and a couple of supports per route, but each of them is pretty interesting and very much endearing.
It's also very short at just a couple of hours and only costs a tenner on Steam, so if disaster lesbians in eldritch mecha sound like a good time to you, I can highly recommend it.
EDIT: Played all other routes, got all other endings in one go today. Game good, highly recommended

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:41 am

I beat Xenosaga 3 last night and wow that was a hell of a game. I'm really glad I took the time to play through the trilogy this year because it was honestly really cool journey. I think XS3 was the highlight of the trilogy both story and gameplay-wise (Though XS1 came pretty close to me), but especially because they were finally willing to drop the awful combo system stuff that had plagued the uh franchise since Xenogears. XS3 combat is snappy and fun as a result and I think is pretty easily the best playing of the pre-Blade games.

My final Xeno tier list:

Individual placements on lower tiers might change with some more thought (Might swap Future Connected and XS2, and maybe XB1 and XB3), but tier placements themselves I think are more or less settled.

I first started this series with Xenogears back in 2012, and it feels weird to be finally caught up now 11 years later.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:24 am

100%ed Sea of Stars; excellent game, no notes. Incredible time, all that's left is a run of NG+, but that will come later.

To quote the friend who introduced me to it - one of the best completionist experiences of my life. Highly recommend.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”