How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:53 pm

View Original Postjoshua002 wrote:I'm thankful for not being one of the people who grew up with the Netflix DUB.

I don't think Netflix DUB is old enough for people to have “grown up” with it XD!
I actually became an Evangelion fan because of the Netflix release. It’s been like what? Four years or so. Quite some time, but not that much at the same time. I vividly remember watching it for the first time like it was yesterday, but it also feels so far away…
I don’t know about the English redub, but the Portuguese one was pretty great and serviceable.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:08 am

I can't recall if I posted in this thread before, but I watched Evangelion back in '08 on YT at the behest of a friend, this was after seeing it in the early AMV Hell material, sort of a word of mouth style of getting into it I guess. ADV dub of course, horrible but at the same time quite humorous, perhaps that's the kind of dynamic an English dub needs ultimately, regardless I doubt I'll ever rewatch anything dubbed again. This was back when YT was doing it's 10 minute policy so they were split in half, back way before content ID came in and wiped this all out. Late Zoomers have no idea hard Japanese media could be to get a hold of, everything is so much easier when you've got Netflix and the companies actually streaming their own stuff like Gundaminfo on YT.

Mackerel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mackerel » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:55 pm

heard about it quite a bit around the internet and from a few friends, so i seen it was on netflix and watched it
now im here, dont know how, nor why, nor what i am doing, or what happened in the show. But it was pretty good so im stuck here now

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:02 am

There was a page that I used to browse a little that was from evangelion, it's from Brazil and you probably know it, it's called Neonshitpost And a page of memes from Brazil about Neon Genesis Evangelion, I was curious and went to see the anime because of them, I ended up becoming interested in the story and so on and I ended up becoming a big fan, I was Almost every day I watch it and the third thing I like most is behind Resident Evil and of course my favorite band Green Day which is the band I listen to the most I'm getting old, damn it's been 13 years since the first Green Day song I heard
A somewhat emo boy Normal Young I still have a lot to learn, I work hard and I dream of going to college and making my dreams come true Always thinking positive and persisting in my dream I like games I love my favorite band Green Day I like Nirvana tree days grace Also Queen the Beatles Legião Urbana And general good rock

Megumin_077
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Megumin_077 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:40 am

I'm a girl who, since I was very little, liked watching anime. My country had some DVDs of old anime, but I only watched it on Evangelion in around 2017 or 2018. When I was 11Or 12 years ago I watched the anime seriously, I really fell in love with it, it's not my favorite but it's an excellent classic and a milestone in the history of Anime for the time Without a doubt, evangelion is an excellent proof of how its thesis to draw the attention of viewers with eva to actually deliver a great sea of ​​philosophy. It was one of the animes that At the time, it saved me from a lot of depression that I had at the time, but today I'm fine, I always had social problems, the girls at the time thought I was weird because I had different tastes from the others and I was also very shy. I was very sad at the time, today I don't care about that, Evangelion showed me that side too

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:13 am

Oh wow, that's a really early age to have seen Eva at. Glad to hear that it had a positive impact on you!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Megumin_077
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Megumin_077 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:55 pm

Yes, I watched it very early but it was good for me today I'm 17 years old and I can say that I'm not the same as when I was 11 and 12 years old today I'm better

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:00 pm

I myself only went to see evangelion Only in 2022, that is, last year, I went through a crisis with a girl I liked and I was mentally broken Megumin knows and this is proof of why she is my childhood friend.
A somewhat emo boy Normal Young I still have a lot to learn, I work hard and I dream of going to college and making my dreams come true Always thinking positive and persisting in my dream I like games I love my favorite band Green Day I like Nirvana tree days grace Also Queen the Beatles Legião Urbana And general good rock

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:56 pm

Turismo030650 wrote:Neonshitpost

Oh... The guys over in evangelicos. It's a pretty big page. I think I may know the guy behind it. Nice people over there.
I used to mod a page of that nature over on Facebook way back in 2020. But it died after I left. I guess Twitter is way better for content creators than Facebook is.

Welcome you two, by the way!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:56 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Welcome you two, by the way!

Opa Valeu cara

Grayfox5
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grayfox5 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:20 pm

I got into Evangelion by my brother telling me about the psychological content in the story and how confusing the story was. The part of how he said the story was confusing reeled me in because I'm into that kind of stuff. I started watching Evangelion when I reached the age of 14, which was unreal.

The opening at the beginning felt like a calm before the storm as my 14-year-old mind was sent into an abyss that was the emotional collection of scenes in NGE. It was a great time to start it allowed me to understand the characters that were around my age while seeing the world of NGE through the eyes of a 14-year-old.

Loving the entire story since 2018!

Turismo030650
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Turismo030650 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:57 am

View Original PostGrayfox5 wrote:I got into Evangelion by my brother telling me about the psychological content in the story and how confusing the story was. The part of how he said the story was confusing reeled me in because I'm into that kind of stuff. I started watching Evangelion when I reached the age of 14, which was unreal.

The opening at the beginning felt like a calm before the storm as my 14-year-old mind was sent into an abyss that was the emotional collection of scenes in NGE. It was a great time to start it allowed me to understand the characters that were around my age while seeing the world of NGE through the eyes of a 14-year-old.

Loving the entire story since 2018!

Another one who watched the new Evangelion, more different from Megumin who watched it. When I was 11 or 12 years old, Evangelion, I only went to watch it when I was 16, I went through a Trauma of a girl who I would like to thank God, my mental health is up to date and I no longer want to get married, much less have a family Evangelion It also helped me to avoid a lot of this Trauma that I went through

jv14012
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jv14012 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:01 pm

Many friends have recommended many animes to me, and Neon Genesis Evangelion was the only one I bothered to explore. It's unfortunate that me and that friend do not talk that much anymore, he has distanced himself from pretty much everyone. He went by the name of Kafka online.

Here's to Kafka, one of the smartest dudes I've ever met. Take care, big boss. And thanks for introducing me to one of the best animes of my life.
~J V

jyakku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jyakku » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:52 am

A guy in high school recommended it to me. I remember watching it over a weekend, really enjoying it and then returning to school on the Monday to talk to him about it and it turned out he had never actually watched it.

BobbyDV303
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BobbyDV303 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:31 pm

For me it all happened kinda out of nowhere, very quick and sudden. I saw people referencing it in Formula One threads, as well as posting fanart of the characters in racing uniform. Being mostly a complete outsider to Japanimation (having limited interaction through posts and gossip), I grew curious and looked it up on TV Tropes. Immediately I became somewhat frightened by the cover (while also admiring it) and the tagline, and decided not to read the article any further upon seeing unmarked spoilers. Following this I inquired whether I should watch it or not, I was met with responses encouraging me to just give it a try (especially since I already liked Transformers).

Needless to say, things would never be the same afterwards. It was an emotional rollercoaster I never would have expected to rustle my jimmies, impress me, warm my heart, and freeze my soul in absolute terror all at once. A story I believe many who wound up finding themselves infatuated with the series afterwards are likely familiar with, one that is probably too long for this thread or one post (irrespective of whether my perspective is unique or not). And all of this while thinking that this was just another obscure little cartoon from the last century that's been relegated to a niche among nerds on the internet, totally oblivious to the juggernaut in popular culture it has become when I wasn't looking, lurking around me all along in places I never even noticed.

Despite the stomach complaints and acid reflux I received upon going through the movies, I am still riding the wave of creative/artistic zeal and inspiration since June, and hope that I manage to put it to good use before I dilute my motivation thinking about all the cool things I'd like to do with this newly discovered world for all these months instead of actually doing them. Overall a net positive experience (especially with the supplementary material I've been slowly going through every now and then in the manga, wiki articles, emulated games, fan comics, fan stories, so on), a once in a lifetime adventure that I got to absorb like a sponge through a Vulcan mind-meld.
'Ojcze nasz, który jesteś w niebie, niech się święci imię Twoje!'

MissDeamy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MissDeamy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:57 pm

This is going to be a fun story

Okay
Short answer: I literally watched an Evangelion edit with the song "4 Am" by Taeko Onuk.

Long Answer: I watched the Evangelion edit on YouTube and thought "Huh this anime looks cool, I have seen memes about it on my Instagram so maybe I should watch it" So I asked my cousin about it since he knew about Evangelion cause he grew up with the OG dub and he was like "I mean go for it, I don't see why not" and I watched the Netflix Dub, yeah I know not many people like the Nexflix dub but I like it a lot. The funny part is that I have a sensitive stomach plus a stomach condition called "Chronic Gastritis" so literally watching the series AND the movie was not going to sit with me well and yeah it didn't but you know what? I ended up loving the series even though I had stomach pains and mentally unwell for 2 weeks but it was worth it. I SURVIVED EVERYTHING EVEN THE END OF EVANGELION!!!!!!

So yeah, in the end, I ended up liking Evangelion, a lot. What's funny is that I thought I would like Asuka cause most of my favorite characters are usually women like Mona from WarioWare, Uta from One Piece film red, and Futaba from Persona 5 but nah, it was Shinji.
Rare Shinji Ikari Fan

Please do not repost my art anywhere without my permission

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”