How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BernardoCairo
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:12 am

This post is basically gonna be an amalgamation of some other stuff that I've already posted here on the forums. But, whatever hahaha.
In short, I got into it because of my stepfather. When he was a young man, he watched it through a channel called "Locomotion", (which use to exist here in Brazil) and loved it.
After we met, he tried in various ways to introduce me to anime. Eventually, when I was nine years old or something, he rented the 1.0 Blu-ray for us to watch on my PS3. I couldn't understand anything. I remember thinking a lot about the destruction of Antarctica and it's implications afterwards (the "global warming" elements and Pen Pen). But that was it. My mind was too closed for Japanese media at that time (outside of videogames). So, I didn't even try to pay attention to what was happening on the screen.
Years later, when I was much older, I got into anime through Dragon Ball (you know, the usual). It was airing on Cartoon Network and I decided to give it a try. I really liked it! It helped me go through a period of changes in my life too! So, I instantly became a fan.
Because of this, I was more opened to watch other anime. My stepfather took notes and made me see the original series with him. I was immediately hooked.
I will never forget the first time that I watched it. It was so fun! We took more than three weeks to end it all. My stepfather prevented me from consuming it all at once. According to him, each episode deserved to be enjoyed individually. Because of that, I developed affection for the characters in very natural way. When I noticed, they were already part of my "daily life" and I really cared about them.
The funny thing was that he hadn't watched The End of Evangelion yet. So we experienced it first hand, together. It was a ride. That is definitely my favorite movie of all time. I will never forget the day I watched it. The film ended at sunset and it was crazy. I laughed, thought and cried over it hahaha.
Ah, great memories!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Berserker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I will never forget the first time that I watched it. It was so fun! We took more than three weeks to end it all. My stepfather prevented me from consuming it all at once. According to him, each episode deserved to be enjoyed individually.

Totally agree with it. I spent like what...yeah, 3 weeks and couple of days. I used to watch one episode per day before going to work. It was fun brainstorming each episode throughout the whole day. And yeah, watching it for the first time is absolutely amazing and can't be experienced again the same way.
Last edited by Berserker on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 pm

Berserker wrote: And yeah, watching it for the first time is absolutely amazing and can't be experienced again the same way.

Agree. The first time you watch EVA is unforgettable. I remember when my best friend recommended me because in his psychology class he was studying "hedhoge's dilemma". To be honest back in the day I had bad prejudices about anime at all (lol) but thanks to EVA I start becoming more fan. So it opened a beautiful door to me that I didn't know about.
Shi ni Itaru Yamai, Soshite

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”