Transferring massive amounts of data between Magi

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

Transferring massive amounts of data between Magi

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:31 am

In "Magma Diver," during the first scene inside NERV, we hear over the PA system:
Please expedite transfer of Mt. Asama observational data from Balthasar to Melchior as soon as possible.

Aren't the Magi supposed to be networked together? Why, in 2015, would someone need to give this order over the PA instead of email, instant messenger, or simply opening up a prompt and issuing a command?

Well, I think because this was a lot of data stored on several hard drives or magnetic tapes. When I was doing my master's degree in computer science, I recall talking to one researcher who shuffled huge amounts of data around his lab. He said that by the time one you'd finished waiting for one machine to copy its data to another, you might as well just have popped out the hard drive and walked it over and plugged it into the other machine.

It must have been a massive (and urgently needed!) amount of data that NERV collected from Mt. Asama that lazily waiting for the network wasn't good enough. Ritsuko doesn't seem to be involved in this effort, as we see her talking to Misato immediately afterwards about how the pilots are going to miss the school trip to Okinawa. So, the way this order was given, it seems like this is a big but easy job, the kind for multiple junior NERV people.

How much? Well, until we get more info, like a canon answer to the Magi's system specifications, we may never know.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Transferring massive amounts of data between Magi

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:17 am

The 2015 of NGE is not our 2015 (they don't even have iPhones). Some of the in-world explanation can be pointed at the economic effects of Second Impact, of course, but for the MAGI, those are clearly some Project E weird tech spin off - the brain-like structure we see when Ritsuko goes delving into the innards of the system, for example.

A current year handwave would be that the transfer delay is not in the moving a terabyte USB stick from one unit to the next; it's in the LLM training times for a different bespoke (literal) neural net computer for it to be able to understand the raw bits and bytes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

bulwhark
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bulwhark » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:59 am

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:41 pm

^yeah, that. For massive amounts of data, just moving physical hardware is faster, and ironically often times more secure, which would definitely be a priority for Nerv.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”