How much of the PS2/PSP game NGE2 was informed by Anno's interview?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Asunji_Yuko
Adam

How much of the PS2/PSP game NGE2 was informed by Anno's interview?

•      
  •      

Postby Asunji_Yuko » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:58 pm

For NGE 2's production, I understand that the Classified Information sections were based on a 10 hour long interview with Anno, but the rest of the game was not (including all of the endings).

So is nothing really canon to NGE/EOE except for the CI?

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: How much of the PS2/PSP game NGE2 was informed by Anno's interview?

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:35 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the meaning of "canon" is different in Japan. They care more about the "officiality" of the product than the "canonicity" of its story. If a product is licensed and endorsed by its owners, then it's good, even if it's not part of what we consider to be the "main narrative".
NGE2 is not canon to NGE, obviously. It's fundamentally different from the show and even the CI contains some questionable information. But it's an official product nonetheless.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: How much of the PS2/PSP game NGE2 was informed by Anno's interview?

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:11 pm

I have looked into this myself for the wiki articles significantly, you can in fact see a rundown on it here. Basically, while the game devs had access to some Gainax docs and all, and did interview Anno and other staff, they very clearly state how what they depict in the game is basically their own version of it all, and the game itself is very much an open-ended RPG. The FAR, notably, were present in early plans for the anime but they more or less decided to not directly address them in NGE itself, then it slowly returns to canonicity. They have extensive development logs on their site, which are not translated but have been archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20040209123 ... /info.html

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”