What does Anno have against the Otaku culture?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

What does Anno have against the Otaku culture?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:35 pm

So I’m not sure what he has against Otakus, other than telling them to go touch grass. And yet, Anno himself is claimed to be an Otaku, so that may seem a bit hypocritical of him to criticize.

And I don’t know a lot about his background, the cause of his depression, and some other things that make him tick. So my knowledge about him is pretty limited. Then again, I haven’t done some research on him.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Into the Eva-Verse
Embryo

Re: What does Anno have against the Otaku culture?

•      
  •      

Postby Into the Eva-Verse » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:30 pm

For what it's worth, here's a Reddit thread I found that discusses this topic. It seems that Anno doesn't hate otaku; he just dislikes certain aspects of the subculture.

https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/27o2fu/to_everyone_who_thinks_hideaki_anno_hates_otaku/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
“Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.”
--Yui Ikari, End of Evangelion

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:05 pm

Yeah, that's a topic that is often misrepresented in a lot of directions, and Anno himself talks about it in ways that suggest a degree of hyperbole
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:46 am

Yeah I haven't seen all the interviews and stuff, but from what I have seen I kinda got the vibe that he was being self-deprecating/ironic when he said the stuff he's so famously said about otaku and otaku culture. He's criticizing it not despite the fact that he's an otaku, but because he's an otaku, and thus knows very well just how embarrassing and cringe otaku can be.

So kinda the same vibes as this image ->
SPOILER: Show
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm

Pretty much, yeah. Also see the whole "fucking weebs" meme, same thing on the other side of the pond pretty much.

And that's not meant to discount the idea that Anno genuinely had/has gripes with Otaku culture, I'd find it extremely dubious if he hadn't, but especially at the time, going off of a few interviews with the staff he worked with a lot, his m/o seems to have been to overstate his cases quite a bit, hyperbole that was evidently caught by his colleagues when they were all having a laugh over the comments with a beer in hand (that's something that I know was the case in at least one interview), but then subsequently got lost in translation and quoted out of context.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 22, 2023 8:07 pm

Also, I saw this post on Tumblr where it mentions that Anno “Dislikes Western civilization”, and that he “doesn’t put much trust in Western civilization.” What does he have against the people in the west?

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon May 22, 2023 8:43 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Also, I saw this post on Tumblr where it mentions that Anno “Dislikes Western civilization”, and that he “doesn’t put much trust in Western civilization.” What does he have against the people in the west?

Some entertaining threads:

thread/21202/Nerv-the-JSSDF-and-Annos-nationalism/
thread/13872/Japanese-Nationalism-in-NGE/20/

First topic has a fair amount of quotations, including the one about western civilization and its context.
Après moi le déluge!

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:07 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:[
Some entertaining threads:

thread/21202/Nerv-the-JSSDF-and-Annos-nationalism/
thread/13872/Japanese-Nationalism-in-NGE/20/

First topic has a fair amount of quotations, including the one about western civilization and its context.

So, basically, Anno thinks we’re the bad guys, right?

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Tue May 23, 2023 2:26 am

I mean, that seems like a bit of an oversimplification of what evidence has been presented and a bit of a jump in conclusion, but I guess I can see how you'd arrive at that impression. I wouldn't exactly say I'd agree with the assessment, but I'll admit I also can't say I know Anno well enough at to say anything certain either.

I'll say though that I don't really get the impression that he hates all westerners as people, and the way I interpreted what meant by "Western Civilization" was that he was more so referring to the governments of bigger western countries(such as the US for example) as entities, and more importantly their geopolitical relations to Japan. Course I am biased and maybe I am giving him more benefit of the doubt than he necessarily deserves because I have a lot of respect for him, but idk. I don't feel like it benefits anyone to be so quick to make a judgement call based off so little.
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue May 23, 2023 3:29 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Also, I saw this post on Tumblr where it mentions that Anno “Dislikes Western civilization”, and that he “doesn’t put much trust in Western civilization.” What does he have against the people in the west?

Take any claim like that coming from Tumblr with an even bigger grain of salt than you wuld coming from anywhere else. Eva tumblr, far as I can tell, is pretty much dominated by some 2-3 nutcases with weird removed from reality takes, and a lot of free time they're willing to pour into believable sounding, but entirely made up evidence for them.

I don't know the exact contents of the post, but I'd say it's very likely that it was meant in the same spirit as when one of us complains about Hollywood/any other American large budget franchise production lacking vision and not saying much of anything.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Tue May 23, 2023 12:52 pm

View Original PostMsenjaKagami wrote:I'll say though that I don't really get the impression that he hates all westerners as people, and the way I interpreted what meant by "Western Civilization" was that he was more so referring to the governments of bigger western countries(such as the US for example) as entities, and more importantly their geopolitical relations to Japan.

Yeah I mean, I know several westerners (academics and otherwise) who hold Anno's exact same views on the west. Difference is that them expressing their critiques of imperialism doesn't instantly trigger the accusation of being a Japanese nationalist.

I don't think of Anno's views (expressed in his works or otherwise) as being particularly uncommon, nor even the most visible among his peers. Oshii's works are rife with those sentiments.
Après moi le déluge!

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”