FGC translation for Rebuilds?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FGC translation for Rebuilds?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 04, 2022 1:50 am

Speaking a language like English which has a history of mugging other languages for their spare vocabulary, the boundaries of where loan words end and actual translation is needed is a fuzzy one. Culinary terms are just absorbed wholesale as soon as what they refer to starts being eaten here rather than only over there with any frequency - no one bats an eye at ketchup, chow mein or sushi, for example. Abstract notions which are often cultural in connotations are trickier, as you can't just point and say "that thing there"; it's not always easy even when there is something to point at though, when culture is implicit -- consider the example "what is the American for London?" : is it New York (finance) or Washington DC (government)?

In the end, it all comes down to, as they say in Italy, "Traduttore, traditore" -- whatever you do is going to be wrong in some respect.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Wed May 04, 2022 11:22 am

A word on literal/accurate translations:

Languages are not created in tandem where they can correlate 1:1. They are created by minds and cultures with concepts wholly unique to each. Translation is a misnomer: it is inherently an exercise in editorialising and adaptation.

To apply this to Evangelion, pretend that "Angel Attack" didn't have the English name and that we only had the Japanese "Shito, shurai". Let's ignore the Angel/Shito thing, and let's even ignore the attack/invasion/raid/arrival thing, let's also ignore the comma:
Angel Attack
An Angel Attack
An Angel Attacks
An Angel Attacking
The Angel Attack
The Angel Attacks
The Attacking Angel
The Angels Attack
An Angel's Attack
The Angel's Attack

Every single one of these has a slightly different meaning, and you have to commit to one in English. You have nothing to go on from the Japanese because it's only those two words, and the concepts of a singular, one example of something, the entire concept of something, and even the tense are ideas that aren't prevalent in that language.

See also "Seele: Throne of the Souls". "Throne" is the word "za". "Za" is like a seat or place at a meeting, a high position at a literal/metaphorical table. There are lots of potential translations for this, but without this understanding they all distort:
"Throne of the Souls" sounds kingly and singular.
"Seat of the Souls" sounds like a chair.
"Place of the Souls" sounds like a location.
"Meeting of the Souls" sounds like lovers passing.
"Gathering of the Souls" sounds like someone collecting.
"Moot of the Souls" sounds irrelevant.

There isn't a solution for it.

BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:10 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
SPOILER: Show
The role of a translator is to create a product which can be understood by people who are unable to understand the source language. In the case of Evangelion, the translator's role is to create an English product for people who don't speak Japanese.

Japanese animation attracts people whose knowledge of the Japanese language may be at any level from fluent, to intermediate, to beginner, to none at all. The translator's responsibility is to create a product which can be understood by "all of the above", and this means translating everything, not just the bits and bobs with which an intermediate language learner may not be familiar. You hear it in the crusades against translating "onii-chan" into "big brother", the indignation at the change of "nakama" to "crewmate". But just because someone who has dipped their toes into Japanese understands these words does not mean that the translator is required to cater to their limited knowledge and only translate "the other stuff".

Similarly, it is the responsibility of the film and television translator to create a product that is consumable in the moment, not one which requires a dictionary and additional research to understand. When we're attending a film or watching a TV broadcast, we don't want to whip out our phones to figure out what somebody said. You can't pause a movie for the whole theater while you read a three-sentence translator's note, or stop a live broadcast to figure out what that one untranslated word was.

There are of course always exceptions, times when it may be best to leave a word untranslated as okonomiyaki or trust that certain phrases such as je ne sais quoi have a reasonable expectation of being understood. Translation in the arts is reliant on functional rather than formal equivalence, which is a fancy way of saying "the specific Japanese words used matter less than what the specific Japanese words meant and why they were chosen." But this is left in the hands of the translator and their editors. (Often the end product, be it in a book, comic, or film, is not what the translator wrote but rather what an editor changed it to be. The translator is responsible for what they deliver to an editor, but the editor is responsible for the finished product.)

The subtitles for Shin Evangelion as they appear on Amazon Prime are fine. There are some things I'd do differently, but what exists is perfectly servicable. Translators sometimes make mistakes—heck, during my initial translations of material I made from the ripped subtitles between trips to the theater, my inability to always match what I saw on screen to what the subtitles said led me to accidentally omit portions of nuance which I later had to reinsert. But we do the best we can with the materials we have.

For what it's worth, speaking a language in and of itself is in no way a qualification to translate that language. Someone can speak two languages perfectly well, and have no earthly idea what they are doing when it comes to translation. (This is why most translators either study translation theory in university or find an already-established translator to take them under their wing.) And even then, translation is directional! I can translate from Japanese to English quite well, but have to refuse jobs that go the other way. My command of Japanese pales in comparison to my command of English, and without a native-level understanding of the language into which you are translating, you cannot hope to convey the nuance of your source text. It is far easier to UNDERSTAND the nuance in a foreign language and GENERATE it in your native language than it is to do this the other way around. There's a lot to consider when you're moving something as nebulous as "meaning" from one language to another, and it really helps if someone has taught you how to do it.

Well, they could have at least made the dub actually good. I can't really describe it, so I'll just paste someone's review from Amazon Prime Video here:

"After waiting months to see this, I am highly disappointed. This feature shows all the symptoms of a rushed English dub. First, you'll notice audio levels are incorrect (voice too high, background too low) during scenes in which it wouldn't make sense, you'll notice many incidents of the animation timing to character's English voice is out of sync, voice actors that do a LESSER job than in the previous 6 films (1.0, 1.11; 2.0, 2.22;' 3.0,3.33). Voice actors vocal emotions not matching the scene (weirdly excited or weirdly calm). If you compare the 10-minute clip released over a year ago in Japanese to the press with the same timespan in this film, the lack of quality will be obvious. The film's audio is terrible to the point that I would rather watch this film in Japanese audio with no subtitles, it's a production that deserved more, and it's another gross insult to Western Audiences that the English dub was such an afterthought."

Please, try not to quote the whole post. Huge quote placed under a spoiler tag. - JoelcrNeto

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Fri May 06, 2022 2:52 pm

It's a dub made in lockdown conditions lol.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri May 06, 2022 7:15 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:It's a dub made in lockdown conditions lol.

And by a company that never dubbed an anime before. It was a bad mix of circumstances.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 07, 2022 2:36 pm

Folks, let's keep this on topic please. The thread is about the translations, not the quality of the voiceover.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”