Netflix Version: Subs vs. Dub

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

Netflix Version: Subs vs. Dub

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:42 pm

Which version of the Netflix version for the original series and EoE do you guys think is superior the original Japanese audio version with English subtitles, or the English dub version? If you made a choice, then please explain why the version you chose is superior to the other version as thoroughly as you can, basing you claims off of everything, including the EVA roars, the subtitles, the acting, the music, and the sound effects for each audio version.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Netflix Version: Subs vs. Dub

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:20 pm

I actually think the dub is about as good as the subbed this time around. The performances range from good to great, and Stephanie McKeon does a particularly wonderful job as Asuka. The Eva roars seemed to fit naturally into the mix.

The only thing I think would have been neat is if the English stereo dub had the same music queues in Episode 01 as the Japanese stereo mix. There’s different stuff going on with the music in the Japanese stereo mix that’s different from the surround sound mix. The English stereo mix seems to be using the Japanese surround mix as a reference, so the uniqueness of the music queues in the Japanese stereo mix isn’t reflected in the English stereo mix.

BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:15 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I actually think the dub is about as good as the subbed this time around. The performances range from good to great, and Stephanie McKeon does a particularly wonderful job as Asuka. The Eva roars seemed to fit naturally into the mix.

The only thing I think would have been neat is if the English stereo dub had the same music queues in Episode 01 as the Japanese stereo mix. There’s different stuff going on with the music in the Japanese stereo mix that’s different from the surround sound mix. The English stereo mix seems to be using the Japanese surround mix as a reference, so the uniqueness of the music queues in the Japanese stereo mix isn’t reflected in the English stereo mix.

Yeah, I think both versions should have the Japanese stereo. I don't know why Netflix needed to change it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:39 pm

Who knows? The most likely explanation is that Khara gave Netflix/VSI the audio masters without dialogue that used the queuing in the more recent mixes. Or it could be that Khara only gave them the surround mix, and they had to down-mix to stereo from those sources.

BoogerPoo2002
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BoogerPoo2002 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:41 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Who knows? The most likely explanation is that Khara gave Netflix/VSI the audio masters without dialogue that used the queuing in the more recent mixes. Or it could be that Khara only gave them the surround mix, and they had to down-mix to stereo from those sources.

I wonder why in the Netflix dub of episode 12, Shinji says "AT Field!" instead of "Field at maximum!" when he gets under Sahaquiel. Is it because they had to find a way to lip synch, or is it just a translation error?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:03 am

It's probably a lip sync thing. The translation is pretty close.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”