Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:42 am

Oh man, tonight was another doozy. This game just keeps making my jaw drop.

But to start on a lighter note:

The 'rain scene'  SPOILER: Show

Among many other things, I saw the so-called rain scene tonight. My reaction was to say...

It's so beautiful.

She looked so happy. I was reminded of our battle back at those ruins in Afghanistan, where (and I assume not every player gets to experience this) I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to witness her dance in shallow water with a rainbow over her. Playing in the water at Mother Base, she looked like a natural performer expressing her joy through impromptu dance.

And then Snake joined in, having fun for the first and probably only time in the whole game. It was a more human side of him that had remained dormant for the entirety of Kiefer Sutherland's portrayal of the character. And now here he was, laughing with her.

I am so glad they put this in the game.

I enjoyed seeing that scene in the sequence that I did with a certain other one that comes later (or apparently, can come before or after).

a certain Chapter 2 Mother Base scene about Quiet  SPOILER: Show

I am speaking, of course, of the electro-shock torture scene.

Just out of nowhere, they're interrogating her in such a cruel way. I had worried back when I saw it teased in the chapter preview that this scene might represent some kind of breaking of the bond between Quiet and Mother Base, but by the time I got to it I already figured it wasn't, and the only mystery that remained was how that bond could possibly survive such treatment.

And then Kaz dropped the bombshell that Quiet was the woman who tried to kill Snake at the beginning of the game. I had been spending the entire game wondering who that woman at the beginning was, ultimately just assuming she was a random assassin! That little fact changed the entire tenor of the situation -- first of all making the harshness of the interrogation make more sense (given already how cruel these characters had shown they could be, what with the prior interrogations of Huey), and changing its nature into almost a kind of penance for Quiet for what she tried to do back then.

But then at the end, after the focal characters left and Code Talker speaks with her... That made my jaw drop most of all. Well, I don't need to repeat what the people who clicked this spoiler box and are reading this probably already know. But needless to say, I now see how strong Quiet's bond is, and all doubt in my mind as to the genuineness of her expressions of affection thus far is gone.

That makes her posing in the chopper all the sweeter.

The friend I've been playing this alongside (not together, but in parallel on our respective versions) got the rain scene after this one. I got mine before. I'm quite glad that I did, because it made the scene all the more shocking for its contrast with what had come just before, but I see how it really works either way. If I had seen the rain scene second, it would have made it a scene of healing after the testing of their relationship that was this scene. (Wait, maybe then it would have been even more beautiful... Oh well, no use second-guessing it now. I'm happy enough with how it turned out for me.)

After all this (or just before it?), well, I experienced yet another bombshell:

a certain Chapter 2 discovery about a certain character from Peace Walker  SPOILER: Show

The body in the AI pod -- what the fuck happened there?! Huey was dodgy as fuck, and now I am suspecting him! I still don't think the torture he's endured was justified (obviously), but after he got found out on his lie claiming that he worked alone on Sahelanthropus, the way he "explained" the body made a very different and horrifying story emerge in my mind. Could Huey really be capable of murder, perhaps out of jealousy? I mean, he did kill Skull Face (and according to my friend does so whether you pull the trigger when the game asks you to or not), so he's capable of killing, but...

And of course, the identity of the body was just as shocking (Strangelove?! No, no, and yet it makes so much sense!), followed also by the first chronological mention of dear old Hal. I was actually getting to a point of suspecting that the reason why Huey and Hal are so similar must be because Hal is actually a clone of his father, but it seems like Huey probably conceived him the old-fashioned way -- with Strangelove no less, which is just weird. What happened there? Snake sure has missed a lot in these 9 years.

The game just keeps piling it on. There's so much juicy goodness here all coming to light after what would have been the climactic end of any lesser game. I haven't even gotten to my reaction to discovering the true identity of the Man on Fire, and what I've learned from the tapes of Code Talker explaining the parasites (no wonder Quiet and The End have such similar abilities!).

On a final note:

About an outfit you can unlock for Quiet around this time in the game  SPOILER: Show

I spoilered this just because even mentioning the "Gray XOF" fatigues that you can unlock for her reveals at least an implication as to her (former) allegiance, though I suppose it should come as no surprise to anyone. But, uh... I find them to be pretty dull and don't think I'll be using them like at all. I was actually expecting something completely different, something more idiosyncratic-looking in keeping with the series tradition of such characters (which includes Ocelot and his cowboy getup), but maybe such an outfit comes later?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:07 am

MGO三 is going to rule: https://youtu.be/20aMKCGVVMo
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:48 am

Oh man, tonight was another doozy. This game just keeps making my jaw drop.

So much I want to say, so much I can't yet though. This game is pretty great though, huh? Which mission are you on right now?

a certain Chapter 2 Mother Base scene about Quiet Spoiler

SPOILER: Show
I think this was the scene that cemented her as my favorite character. I'm kind of surprised so many people didn't realize it was her at the beginning, though. That was one of the first things I caught on to. I would say rather than the torture being her penance, the deprivation of her words, as Kojima called it, is. There's plenty of analysis to be done with her and she's one of the best characters in the series.

a certain Chapter 2 discovery about a certain character from Peace Walker Spoiler:

Yep, Huey is a sociopathic piece of shit. After playing Peace Walker I wondered what the poor guy did to warrant all this bad stuff that was explained in MGS2, but he deserved every bit of it. And in the end he manages to be more cowardly than you think even he can. As much as the post-Outer Heaven story is David trying to leave a better legacy than his father, it's Hal trying to do the same. Just another layer of the glue that bonds Hal and Dave.

About an outfit you can unlock for Quiet around this time in the game Spoiler:

There's actually one more you can get that might be more in line with the kind of fun and wacky stuff you're thinking of.[/spoiler]
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:30 am

Monk Ed: Quiet has a lot of great scenes in this game, she's probably my favorite character in TPP. Originally I didn't even like her, and after she botched one of my "recruitment runs" by killing everyone I was trying to fulton the first time I used her, I basically told her she was fired. But then I looked at her development tree and saw that she would get a tranquilizer rifle if I bonded with her, so I took her out on a few missions and just let her run wild. That's when I realized just how damn good she is at her job. She can basically solo any guard post or base at full alert status. :lol: Then her personality started to grow on me, and by the time I maxed her bond I wouldn't even use a different buddy. Also, seeing as how you like her so much, I feel I should tell you this. Read at your own discretion:
Huge Quiet story spoiler, read at your own risk.  SPOILER: Show
If you equip the Butterfly Emblem (by adding it to your Mother Base emblem), Quiet will never leave you. This locks you out of her final mission, but personally I'd rather have Quiet than completion points.

Spoilered after the fact by Monk Ed, revealing Quiet's unlockable outfits  SPOILER: Show
And hey, that Grey uniform is great! There's also a Sniper Wolf costume you can get for her that turns her into a blonde. :lol:
Last edited by IronEvangelion on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:34 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Oh man, tonight was another doozy. This game just keeps making my jaw drop.

a certain Chapter 2 Mother Base scene about Quiet  SPOILER: Show
And then Kaz dropped the bombshell that Quiet was the woman who tried to kill Snake at the beginning of the game. I had been spending the entire game wondering who that woman at the beginning was, ultimately just assuming she was a random assassin! That little fact changed the entire tenor of the situation

In the opening,
when you're being strangled, Quiet's Theme (it's also the humming she does) begins to play as you're blacking out
although it also took awhile for me to register that
Holy crap, Quiet's the lady that tried to kill you! Awkward... -o-;

My thoughts pretty much echo Zap's regarding Quiet and other characters. In fact,
Otacon was always one of my favorite MGS characters (Quiet, Ocelot, and The Boss are my other favs), but his father's behavior only strengthened how much I like Otacon and Snake doing their part to help future generations, etc.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:46 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:
Quiet  SPOILER: Show
If you equip the Butterfly Emblem (by adding it to your Mother Base emblem), Quiet will never leave you. This locks you out of her final mission, but personally I'd rather have Quiet than completion points.
:

Probably not the best idea to spoil that for someone so heavily invested in the game's story. I'd make it clearer that its a huge spoiler for the story. By even hinting at it you're spoiling the game for him.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:59 am

Ok I changed it. And I felt like I needed to at least make it available because
More of the massive Quiet  SPOILER: Show
He might get pissed if she leaves forever and he finds out it was preventable. I know I would have been majorly pissed off if she had left me and I found out I could have stopped her, but I needed to restart the entire game to get her back. And judging by his earlier posts he wants to keep her around and not kill her or have her leave.
[Redacted]

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:33 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Ok I changed it. And I felt like I needed to at least make it available because
More of the massive Quiet  SPOILER: Show
He might get pissed if she leaves forever and he finds out it was preventable. I know I would have been majorly pissed off if she had left me and I found out I could have stopped her, but I needed to restart the entire game to get her back. And judging by his earlier posts he wants to keep her around and not kill her or have her leave.

I get where you're coming from
don't click it, Monk :P  SPOILER: Show
but being so deeply attached, he needs to feel the full power of her ending as Kojima intended. The phantom pain is part of the experience.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Bagheera: Thinking about it, although I recommended chronological order first

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:@Bags: If you like stories in chronological order, I'd suggest:
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    MGS Peace Walker
    MGS V (Ground Zeroes & Phantom Pain)
    Metal Gear 1 & MG 2 Solid Snake
    MGS 1 (or Twin Snakes is fine too), 2, and 4 :sweat:

Release order actually makes the most sense for a first time fan (Zap introduced me to them in release order, Summer 2012) because the Timelines tacked on at the end of each game naturally spoils different events from different games. So, you'd want to do things:

Metal Gear 1 & 2
    Metal Gear Solid 1 (or MGS Twin Snakes), 2, 3, 4
    MGS Peace Walker
    MGS V (Ground Zeroes & The Phantom Pain)

and then when you've finished up watching (via https://www.youtube.com/user/KefkaProduction ) you can at some point watch (or even play :wink: ) the series chronologically to get a greater appreciation for it.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:21 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:
About an outfit you can unlock for Quiet around this time in the game  SPOILER: Show

I spoilered this just because even mentioning the "Gray XOF" fatigues that you can unlock for her reveals at least an implication as to her (former) allegiance, though I suppose it should come as no surprise to anyone. But, uh... I find them to be pretty dull and don't think I'll be using them like at all. I was actually expecting something completely different, something more idiosyncratic-looking in keeping with the series tradition of such characters (which includes Ocelot and his cowboy getup), but maybe such an outfit comes later?

In regards to the above  SPOILER: Show

I think that the reason the outfit isn't particularly unique or special in comparison to other outfits it is by definition a uniform and a reminder of Quiet's past as one of XOF's faceless goons (even you yourself didn't recognize her at first when she first appeared wearing the uniform in the opening). The uniform serves as a symbol of Quiet's prior allegiance (similar to the uniforms worn by the Skulls or even faceless Mother Base personnel) rather than a unique outfit like Ocelot's.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Damn, who knew Big Boss could be so kawaii?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%81%AD%E3%82%93%E3%81%A9%E3%82%8D%E3%81%84%E3%81%A9-METAL-GEAR-SOLID-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%8B%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0%E3%82%B9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%84Ver/dp/B015FJVR3Y/ref=pd_sim_63_54?ie=UTF8&refRID=1X9DA76EKCHXQFT9RP6E

I want one of those. :lol:
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Solid Snake's currently on sale and Raiden in November or so. Venom's out looks like April 30th 2016.

I don't have any Nendoroids (only have a few figures, really) but this makes me want at least 1 of the MGS characters! -o-;

Edit: He comes with the fulton device?! Possible spoilers in link (for U.S/international buyers), who knows these days. I think I need this in my life :heart:

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:27 pm

Super Bunnyhop's MGSV analysis: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4Tusk_V2k[/url]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Happy Peace Day, MGS fans :heart:

There's spoiler fun here: https://m.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3ls2qt/happy_peace_day_mgg/

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:47 pm

"We do not need peace. Soon you will witness DROO HELL!" -Pacifica 'The Real Paz' Ocean
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:02 pm

MGSV TPP  SPOILER: Show
But Peace Day never came :(

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:08 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
MGSV TPP  SPOILER: Show
But Peace Day never came :(

Time Paradox!
[Redacted]

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_cLaUY7EY

I am a bad, bad man.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:59 pm

No; you're an artist and a genius.

Don't go hiding that light under a bushel basket!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:13 am

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_cLaUY7EY

I am a bad, bad man.

Beautiful.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJtvANL5EsA

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”