What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:25 pm

I never saw Nana so I can't compare the two. Also, the nudity isn't what bothered me, it was more of the silly situations of couples having the misunderstanding leading to one of them getting socked in the face every time they see each other naked or as Cross Ange tends to like doing a lot, land Tusk directly into Ange's crotch. I guess I should be lucky I didn't watch Love Hina where Naru has a tendency to launch Keitaro into the sky whenever something like that happens or I would go crazy counting the times it happened.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:29 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:What do you expect from a show that kinda opens with this?
If I'm lucky, the next Strike Witches -- though that would be mutually exclusive with any male character appearing significantly in the OP.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Speaking of ugly characters, finally got to check out the first Initial D - Legend movie. It's sort of a retelling of the beginning of the series. So it's all new and redone, but what's funny is I couldn't even recognize Takumi because none of the faces were pig ugly, but the best thing to come out of a remake is the ugly CG cars from the original have all been reanimated and with a nice like "manga"-like feel (especially how the dirt gets kicked up).

I could never get passed the ugly faces and CG cars. I might check this out.

Have you watched the live action Initial D movie?

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Not to come off as desperate or anything but I would really appreciate at least one reply to this since I also posted this question at MAHQ but i'm not getting anything there as well.

I don't give shits about shipping and the show is better without notJesus. That's my response.

View Original Postrobersora wrote:I mean this show is so hideous it screams harem-shiftfest from the first frame onwards.

Cross Ange is many things but a harem shitfest it isn't :hahaha:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:58 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:I could never get passed the ugly faces and CG cars. I might check this out.

Have you watched the live action Initial D movie?

I've seen it but it was many years ago. Can't remember that much about it, except like usual Japanese drama, it's like super over-acted with manufactured tension. Don't remember liking it that much. Can't remember how the car scenes looked.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:21 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Erin comes with such a recommendation. Superficially it looks like a children's show, and indeed it is suitable for children.
After it aired, there was even a condensed version that went out on an education channel.

The anime we see covers the first half of a 4-volume set of stories; if the 26 episode adaptation of the same author's Seirei no Moribito is anything to go by, there is a lot of elaboration over and above the bare text of the original -- which would also explain the glacial pace of the first 7 episodes.

In other news, I tried the first couple of episodes of Encouragement of Climb S2, which I thought made a good start at being a vicarious walking holiday in Japan -- it will probably form a B-feature to the new JoJo as a Saturday morning cartoon double bill for a while.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:22 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I've seen it but it was many years ago. Can't remember that much about it, except like usual Japanese drama, it's like super over-acted with manufactured tension. Don't remember liking it that much. Can't remember how the car scenes looked.

Sounds like the Yamato movie I watched last week and couldn't finish how chuuni the acting was.

on that topic, I felt masochistic enough to try and watch the Gundam AGE movie - Memory of Eden, but even my computer refused to play it and crapped out on the video. If that isn't a sign I don't know :lol:

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:34 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The anime we see covers the first half of a 4-volume set of stories; if the 26 episode adaptation of the same author's Seirei no Moribito is anything to go by, there is a lot of elaboration over and above the bare text of the original -- which would also explain the glacial pace of the first 7 episodes.

There is also an on-going manga taken from the novels (9 volumes so far, not licensed in English, and only two volumes scanlated); the first half of volume one is a "prologue", and covers what is episodes 6 and 7 of the anime, completely skipping the slow set up. But yes, it's certainly worth going on with the anime once it gets going.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:03 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Not to come off as desperate or anything but I would really appreciate at least one reply to this since I also posted this question at MAHQ but i'm not getting anything there as well.

Not watching this, but try here: http://crossange.wikia.com/wiki/CROSS_A ... ragon_Wiki
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:34 pm

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross Episode 19:

SPOILER: Show
Not Kakizaki too...He didn't even get to finish his steak... :shinji_boohoo:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:35 pm

JaJa Uma! Quartet: A 50-minute-long sakuga orgasm of magical girl JLA defending their kingdom from an invasion of sentient chess pieces. Even though the whole thing is just a self-indulgent stream of explosions, ninjas and clothing damage, the main characters and their abilities are clearly defined, and the absurd threat they fight does make sense in the warped context of the story. A fun little distraction.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:58 pm

I've been watching Record of Lodoss War lately, and I'm liking it a lot. It's a fairly simple sword and sorcery story but it has all the charm of a late 80's/early 90's anime, something I haven't seen in a long time. The art style, the epic battles with reused footage, the lack of fanservice, everything about it feels refreshing.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby mechashiva » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:36 am

Been watching "Princess Tutu" and "Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water" mostly.

Princess Tutu is re-igniting my love of classical music (it made me re-watch "Fantasia" just to see the Nutcracker Suite) but I'm too early into it to get a sense of where it will go when Princess Tutu/Ahiru gets more pieces of Mute's (or is it Mytho?) heart with Princess Kraehe/Rue trying to stop her along with Fakir. Still, entertaining enough. I can't seem to watch much else lately.
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:46 am

Last night my mates and I finished off Nisemonogatari and moved on to its successor Nekomonogatari Black.

Tsukihi's dancing in the Tsukihi Phoenix OP is ssso frickin' adorable! Also the part where her head looks like it's growing into the camera. :lol:

That music and the Sengoku Snake OP are pretty close to each other as my favorite songs out of the series.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:07 am

View Original Postmechashiva wrote:I'm too early into it to get a sense of where it will go
Yes, you are. When you've finished, you'll be able to see why I can say that from what you have written.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:47 am

So I'm watching Nadesico. It's a bit like how I imagine Trigger doing a mecha series.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Nice to see someone else enjoying Nadesico - I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone other than me mention it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:43 pm

^I made some Nadesico pickups at Fanime 2 years ago. This mention of a Ruri sig was also from that time frame. It was a cropped version of

I owe the series a rewatch, missed a few episodes towards the end so my understanding of it was incomplete going into the movie.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:47 pm

The Movie doesn't directly follow the series, though, in any case. There's a game (never translated) that covers the link between them, and another that follows the film.

(Your links are to the time I'd only just joined the forum, and wasn't looking at all the areas.)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Ah yes, the how did the arrangement in the movie come about and what happened after that only the Japanese got to see. :|

Given how I feel about the series and how infrequently it comes up, I remembered when I did raise the topic and you responding.

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:I've been watching Record of Lodoss War lately, and I'm liking it a lot. It's a fairly simple sword and sorcery story but it has all the charm of a late 80's/early 90's anime, something I haven't seen in a long time. The art style, the epic battles with reused footage, the lack of fanservice, everything about it feels refreshing.

I love Nobuteru Yuki's character designs. Still haven't seen the TV series. Some official artwork for you:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:08 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:I remembered when I did raise the topic and you responding.

Ah well; the penalties of memory fading with age I suppose...

Return to “Old Stickies”