[DOUJINSHI] Re-Take

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:57 pm

I don't usually find myself reading doujinshi because they're often REALLY bad.
But I heard s much about this browsing on sites like this that I had to download.

And I gotta agree with most that for what it is, a fan produced piece of otaku merchandise, it was actually pretty cool. You can tell the creators where serious becuase I honestly expected it to be like most of the echi Eva fan fictions where Shinji somehow has gone from being...well...Shinji...to being the worlds most POWERFUL lover. I find those more funny than anything.

It was a fun read. Lot less sex than expected and I was grateful for that (they're still 14) but I can't say I like it.

Why?

(Spoilers....if you care)

Because the creators REALLY had a hatred towards Rei. I mean in the first book she's there to be ridiculed and pitied and then she kills herself?
And then she comes back ONLY to get a serious beating from Toji in the final book. I'm sorry but I could see no reason why like 5 or 6 pages had to simply be Toji punching her right in the jaw.

Either way, it was fun fan fiction for the most part. Gave me just that wee bit more of Eva-Juice to tide me over til there's some REAL news about the new Eva movies.

Hey- the doujinshi is at least better than anything I would expect a Hollywood live action to be.

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:45 pm

I can only imagine they working in the "Touji x Rei" scene:

-And then, he punches her, and he punches her again, and again, and again, AND AGAIN, AND AGA...
-Hey! take it easy man...
-Huh, then, she punches him.... following by a touji punch :roll:
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:21 am

As far as I can tell, all those scenes merely depict Rei more as a developing personality then someone to be disliked. She hangs herself because she can't grasp the full concept of love, and she plays the role of Touji's punching bag to further the idea of her moving towards her own free will and desicion.

Also, more screen time for Touji is a plus. Despite his lack of appearences, he is a rather important character in the casts.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:16 pm

Re-take is heavily based on the manga interpretation. This is especially true with Rei, who is much more attached to Shinji in the manga than the anime. Re-take 01 makes specific references to this in the pages preceding the suicide with references to Shinji's visit to Rei's apartment (where they make tea and Shinji treats Rei's burn from the tea kettle). Hell, the eva fight scenes are almost direct copy/pastes from Sadamoto's manga, as well as Kaji's backstory.

So in other words, after reading the entirety of Sadamoto's manga to date, I guess Rei's Shinji obsession can be somewhat explained, rather than outright strange as I thought before. Granted, the character is not spot-on in comparison with either the manga or the anime, but I still enjoyed the re-take interpretation of Rei, especially the struggles of her emotional development.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Big Panda wrote:I can only imagine they working in the "Touji x Rei" scene:

-And then, he punches her, and he punches her again, and again, and again, AND AGAIN, AND AGA...
-Hey! take it easy man...
-Huh, then, she punches him.... following by a touji punch :roll:

Like the sex scenes, the authors seem to have no sense of how much is too much, or more than is necessary to the story.

I've read the first two volumes, and I thought they were good except for the sex scenes. But hey, if you just delete all the pages between the initiation and the afterglow, it suddenly becomes a whole lot tamer, and the story is more or less in tact. The end of chapter 2 made me cry. :(
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:19 pm

Well, After is out. I hate ReTake with all my love, my anger, all my sorrow, and all the shininess of my fan-soul's finger. But I will, however, get it, as I am a masochist and I want to see how bad it finishes.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:29 pm

*doublepost, doesn't seem like it'd fit in the last one*

I like how it didn't explain the random ass loli from chapter 4's bad end.

Sucked, as expected from ShitTake. Though, it somehow seemed to suck less than some of the other chapters, namely the final scene in the German village which wasn't half bad, but it was still cheesy, the writing still sucked, WTF they lost their memories, like that plot device hasn't been done to death, etc the usual complaints. I'm just glad it's over.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:50 am

Oh Elysium, we know you loved it! :wink:
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:25 am

Trigger doesn't like Re-take? O RLY? Better post moar hate for good measure.

And btw, Spore finished translating Re-Take ~ After. Haven't read it yet, running to my friend's house this afternoon to download, since my dial-up internet fails.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:33 am

Good_Noodle wrote:Trigger doesn't like Re-take? O RLY? Better post moar hate for good measure.

And btw, Spore finished translating Re-Take ~ After.

That's what Trigger was reffering to in his most recent posts. -_-

Anyways, this is full of much win, IMO.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:18 pm

The Bastard King wrote:Anyways, this is full of much win, IMO.

You should host that image somewhere, images there get purged on a regular basis.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:29 pm

*dies laughing* :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Sucked, as expected

I shall probably give it a miss
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:44 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:I'm just glad it's over.

Until "Re-Take ~ One More After", that is.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:09 pm

Probably read it during Spring Break. I'm assuming everyone's favorite board has it up, but since I haven't visited it in awhile I wouldn't know.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:14 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:everyone's favorite board has it up

Yeah -- top of the page on Torrentzu
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:53 am

of course Gendo'sPapa had to take a swing at ELAM while she reviewed it...

i liked Re-Take but there were problems...the drawing was good...i did not like the main idea though...the whole going back in time...also i felt that having this little girl "I am God" was cheesy...

(ive actually been working on an Eva fanart thats supposedly meant to be "What if GOD appeared...???"...)

anywho...the thing with Rei i feel conflicted on...the problem is...i didn't enjoy seeing Rei in a such a pathetic state...and the author probly had spiteful intentions for her...however i think that the whole thing with Rei trying to be like Asuka was a powerful and effective storytelling move...it really tor at me when she poured the paint on herself...and i personally think her behavior wasn't out of character...so i think i have to say the Rei wanting to be Asuka cuz "thats what Shinji likes" is a plus for Re-Take...although i will say that i don't think Rei has any romantic feelings for Shinji in the anime...

the suicide actually surprised me...so thats good storytelling on the writers part...i don't think its too farfetched to think of Rei committing suicide...but it did kinda seem like the author just wanted her dead...

the fight with Toji did not work for me...i HATE girl hitting with a firey passion...and it seemed EXTREMELY out of character for both of them...

i think it went downhill with the whole "Asuka is preggerz thing...that was going too far...i really wouldn't have had them have sex or be engaged at all...just be in love..."...and Rei got cheesy near the end...

i will say that i was shamelessly satisfied at seeing Shinji fight the harpies...ive always wished for that...

Good_Noodle
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Good_Noodle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:56 am

Just finished reading ~After~, and the sauce is good.

Shinji and Asuka start off much like their counterparts in the series, with Shinji being withdrawn and Asuka being stubborn.
A very nice and romantic feel-good story. On top of that, only 3 frames of sex through the entire doujin (though even those could be easily omited).

Definitely check it out if you liked re-take, and if you don't, you'll be glad to know that there won't be a sequel in all likelihood.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Is there any way you could provide a link to it? Google searches are un-fruitful. :(
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:52 pm

google "torrentzu"

read Re-take after, I have to admit, I enjoyed it. It just oozed of waffiness.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Return to “Fan Works”