How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

nyxela
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nyxela » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Heh, I was just given a list of recommended animes from my friend, and it just so happened that Evangelion was the first anime on it.

VirtualBathsalt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VirtualBathsalt » Fri May 03, 2013 11:25 pm

First scene I had ever had the privilege of seeing was Asuka's mindrape. The sounds, music, distress, I think everyone here knows. Something like 9-10 years ago I'd imagine, flexed my mind quite a bit, as the darkest thing in anime I'd seen prior to that was Akira.
Non sum qualis eram

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 04, 2013 11:41 am

View Original PostVirtualBathsalt wrote:First scene I had ever had the privilege of seeing was Asuka's mindrape. The sounds, music, distress, I think everyone here knows. Something like 9-10 years ago I'd imagine, flexed my mind quite a bit, as the darkest thing in anime I'd seen prior to that was Akira.

That's certainly a good scene to throw you into the thick of what Evangelion is really all about. I generally show that scene when I'm trying to get people into Eva. So far, it's worked 4 out of 5 times.

sprintstyle
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sprintstyle » Sat May 04, 2013 1:19 pm

it's not that long ago i saw it , it was around the time one of the earlier trailers of evangelion 3.33 was shown and i had read an article about it , together with some comments. and i got curious so i watched it.
I actually had heard earlier some things about it but for some reason i wasn't interested yet.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat May 04, 2013 2:20 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:That's certainly a good scene to throw you into the thick of what Evangelion is really all about. I generally show that scene when I'm trying to get people into Eva. So far, it's worked 4 out of 5 times.

... What did the 5th person say after?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 04, 2013 2:45 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:... What did the 5th person say after?

"I don't get it." :irked:

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat May 04, 2013 2:55 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:"I don't get it." :irked:

Well, can you blame her? :lol:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 04, 2013 2:56 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Well, can you blame her? :lol:

Actually, the person in question was male. ;)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:21 pm

I got four different people to start watching NGE just by showing them the synopsis on MAL. I'm happy to report that they all loved it! I'll be watching Q with three of them and another friend who's already seen it. He's actually the one responsible for getting me to watch Eva in the first place. I don't think I'll ever be able to thank him enough for doing so. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sat May 04, 2013 4:35 pm

A friend from high school got me into anime in 10th grade. He and I first watched Lucky Star together. Gradually, I watched more. NGE was in that mix, and I loved it.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:03 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:A friend from high school got me into anime in 10th grade. He and I first watched Lucky Star together. Gradually, I watched more. NGE was in that mix, and I loved it.

Huh, that's funny. I watched NGE right after Lucky Star as well! LS was also a suggestion from the same friend that got me into NGE.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Masterblast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Masterblast » Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Arthur's massive throbbing hit. Poor dw got possessed by Bardiel. Arthur used the dummy plug and went crazy.
And that's why normal blood is stuck in my head

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 am

About 2 or 3 years ago, I was looking up the Tatsunoko vs Capcom wiki page and stumbled upon Eva as Tatsunoko had worked on it. Though I didn't understand it very well at the time, I eventually began looking up Eva wiki articles and eventually when I found that it had an entry on the Bizarro Episode page on TV Tropes, I decided to check out the Bizarro Episode (Episode 9 for those of you wondering) and ever since then, I've been hooked!
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Tue May 21, 2013 1:31 am

I was 7 or so when I saw the heavily cut versions of the first two episodes on Toonami. I thought the monster (Sachiel) was really cool but I had no idea what was going on. A few years later, I saw the first two epsiodes again on Adult Swim. I thought to myself, "HOLY SHIT IT'S THAT MONSTER FROM THAT ONE THING I SAW THAT ONE TIME", and went out to buy the platinum DVDs one by one.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Eye-ce
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eye-ce » Tue May 28, 2013 1:20 am

When I was 12 I rented the series continually on Netflix. I watched them in seclusion, you can only imagine the critical thinking that the series would have on a young, developing mind. Still, it impacted me very deeply and I am so excited for the conclusion of the rebuild. SO. EXCITED.
It's pronounced: "Ice"

"I'm gonna save you, right now!"

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Fri May 31, 2013 3:31 pm

When I was a kid growing up in the early 80's, there were a lot of cartoons on after school and weekend mornings. The ones that always stood out to me were three series' that seemed to have a similar style: Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, and Robotech. (later learned of course that these were really butchered versions of Gatchaman, Space Battleship Yamato and Macross respectively.) They were my only experience with 'Japanimation' as it was called back then, until when working at Electronic Arts Canada in the late 90s I met some hardcore anime freaks, and one show they all agreed on as their favourite by far was of course, NGE.

I borrowed a few tapes, and that was it. I was in love, and thus Eva was my gateway to true anime as well.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Damaijin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Damaijin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:49 pm

I was just surfing movie channels when I happened across End of Evangelion. It was right at the point where Asuka and 02 "woke up". Everything after that was just so graphic, so violent, so bizarre, so disturbing.

So awesome.
Ben

SinspawnJenova
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SinspawnJenova » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 pm

My friend had been hounding me to watch it for about a month, so I googled it and watch the entire series + EoE in 3 days. It was quite life-changing :P
For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.
-Douglas Adams

Coblat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Coblat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Back in 2007 I was into that U2 song "Vertigo" for a while, and I found this crappy AMV using it and thought "wow, that show looks cool!" The rest is history

Willynka
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Willynka » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:26 am

In the old days (2005) when I was using winamp to listen to music I downloaded a skin with a girl lying on the floor in a red dress and her name "Asuka" was written over it. And I was curious..... :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp:
"Shit happens when you party naked."

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”