Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:13 pm

View Original PostEvaCub wrote:what was up with Miki and his stop watch?

As secretary of the student council, it was his job to take the minutes.

@Merridian
viewtopic.php?t=9404
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:16 pm

I haven't seen this yet but I will be implusive and get the new DVD release from RightStuf. The look of the show alone makes me want to watch it.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Charoncaori
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charoncaori » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Oh awesome, I love Utena. I did a paper on it for a Mythology class last year... I was analyzing the movie according to Joseph Campbell's monomyth... And it MADE SENSE.
SPOILER: Show
Yes, even the cars.

Here, if anyone's curious. It's a bit awkward, though.

I also hope we get the remastered DVDs soon. The old ones look horrible in comparison....
Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999!

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:45 am

I'm currently watching Utena, at a slower pace than i would like to, due to RL constantly interfering.

Anyway, just got through the Black Rose arc. Mind was blown. Can't wait to finally get into the meat of Akio's machinations. Also, i hope Touga quits sulking over his failure to get into Utena's pants, and soon.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:As secretary of the student council, it was his job to take the minutes.

He's doing it even when the Council is not in session, though. I would chalk this ritualistic behavior up as a sign of a light autistic streak in Miki. Matches well with his profile otherwise.

Also, since i can't be a cool guy without posting my favorite sexual reference:
Anthy "awakening" the Sword of Dios? Subtle that was not.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Charoncaori
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charoncaori » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:57 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:He's doing it even when the Council is not in session, though. I would chalk this ritualistic behavior up as a sign of a light autistic streak in Miki. Matches well with his profile otherwise.

Explanation for Miki's stopwatch:
He's timing the length of the previous speaker's last line. No, seriously. That's it. Some people think it starts whenever there is an important revelation or plot-related event, but usually it's just timing exposition from the other student council members.

I forgot the fansite that revealed this information, but it's pretty well-known by now. I still like Ikuhara's explanation that it holds THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE better, though.

On another spoilery note (SPOILER ALERT),
You know Saionji's line about the castle in episode 1? Image I'd forgotten about it after I finished the series. My friend saw the line, and immediately cried "BULLSHIT!"

I laughed.

ALSO also, I managed to go to Central Park Media's final panel at the 2009 New York Anime Fest. They had some pretty hilarious stories, one of which was about Ikuhara. Apparently Ikuhara worked very closely with them to make sure the subtitles were as accurate as possible. In fact, the remastered R2 movie DVD has English subtitles! Anyway, some of the CPM staff took Ikuhara out drinking, and they went to a bar with minimally clothed female pole dancers (or something). A couple of them started making out or something near Ikuhara, this well-respected name in anime. They sort of worriedly asked him what he thought, and he smiled and gave them a big thumbs-up saying "Rezbiaaaans!"

That explains EVERYTHING about Utena.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:32 am

View Original PostCharoncaori wrote: I forgot the fansite that revealed this information, but it's pretty well-known by now. I still like Ikuhara's explanation that it holds THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE better, though.

I remember reading about that theory on the "In the Rose Garden" forums. They have an impressive number of essays and analysis threads on the series and everything else in the Utena franchise, and they can often reach FGC levels of fanwanking and overanalysis ;). Also, don't forget their general symbolism thread, I watched the show at least three times but I was impressed at the amount of things I didn't notice!

I wouldn't be surprised if at least some members of EGF are subscribed to that forum, or at least are lurking on it occasionally.

View Original PostCharoncaori wrote:
You know Saionji's line about the castle in episode 1? I'd forgotten about it after I finished the series. My friend saw the line, and immediately cried "BULLSHIT!"

Well, the TV series is full of similar references, and if you pay attention almost everything the "minor" (or not so minor) characters say or do in the first half of the show can be interpreted differently after you've seen the ending. I know it seems like a waste of time to most people, but at least a rewatch is really needed to get the most out of the show. And it's worth it!

Charoncaori
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charoncaori » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:56 am

View Original Postath wrote:I remember reading about that theory on the "In the Rose Garden" forums. They have an impressive number of essays and analysis threads on the series and everything else in the Utena franchise, and they can often reach FGC levels of fanwanking and overanalysis ;). Also, don't forget their general symbolism thread, I watched the show at least three times but I was impressed at the amount of things I didn't notice!

EvaGeeks and ITRG are without a doubt the two anime-related sites I have spent the most time reading (and lurking in the forums). I think I've read every essay on ohtori.nu at one point or another. That website is practically older than the internet, I was happily surprised to discover that it was still around a couple of years ago when I finally got the chance to finish the series.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:44 am

All material on Ohtori analysis & essay sections are must read and forums feature plenty of great analysis too (and, of course, epic fanwank. Utena is after all eva's shoujo counterpart :D)

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:10 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Utena is after all eva's shoujo counterpart :D)

Late 90s was pretty a fucked-up period for anime fans..... shounen or shoujo
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:53 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Late 90s was pretty a fucked-up period for anime fans..... shounen or shoujo

which is why late 90s and early 00s was best time in anime history! :D

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:57 am

View Original PostXard wrote:All material on Ohtori analysis & essay sections are must read and forums feature plenty of great analysis too (and, of course, epic fanwank. Utena is after all eva's shoujo counterpart :D)

Having something similar to our Commentary Project for the Utena TV series would be amazing, and while I could help on the technical side, finding someone willing and able to translate the horrendous handwriting of the SKU scripts is sadly next to impossible. Our own FGC is proceding at a snail's pace even if we're lucky enough to have a somewhat readable script as part of the Renewal edition, so the "Utena Commentary Project" is unfortunately just little more than a dream.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Late 90s was pretty a fucked-up period for anime fans..... shounen or shoujo

Don't forget seinen! Among many others, Serial Experiments Lain ('98) and Boogiepop Phantom (2000) are certainly fucked-up enough to qualify for that list.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Utena is after all eva's shoujo counterpart :D)

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that. For years, I thought it was just some stupid little shojo anime, just because I didn't know a thing about it. (I still don't, except that it's got a pink haired girl with a sword!) Reading this topic, I'm definitely interested in picking up this new boxset. Hope we find out the release date soon!

View Original Postath wrote:Don't forget seinen! Among many others, Serial Experiments Lain ('98) and Boogiepop Phantom (2000) are certainly fucked-up enough to qualify for that list.

Boogiepop Phantom is excellent, definitely in my top five favorite shows. (Still haven't watched Lain...) This is kind of off-topic, but have you read any of the novels? They're fantastic.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:36 pm

Having been missing for a while, and I presumed lost, I just happened to stumble on the new location of the Utena Thumbnail Theatre...

NANAMI: No, Big Brother, don't eat me!
TOUGA: And there you have number one on the "Top Ten Things Nanami Would Never Say" list, folks.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 1381/4/0/0
'Dat cover art. 0_0
Come sooner June.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 1381/4/0/0
'Dat cover art. 0_0
Come sooner June.

I wonder whether this is only a packaging deal for overseas, because in Japan we have only these

Not that I want to get it...This is one anime that still gives me headache >10 years after watching it....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:21 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I wonder whether this is only a packaging deal for overseas, because in Japan we have only these

Not that I want to get it...This is one anime that still gives me headache >10 years after watching it....

Need to watch twice... heck, no, THRICE, because I watched it only once, and I wound up scratching my head, trying to figure some things out from the story.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Need to watch twice... heck, no, THRICE, because I watched it only once, and I wound up scratching my head, trying to figure some things out from the story.

Once you really tried to use your head to figure things out, soon you would get the same headache as I did....and it was not all fun O_o
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:48 pm

I'm glad they've finally announced the box set. I've been waiting a long time to replace my shitty quality bootleg DVDs.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:03 am

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 1381/4/0/0
'Dat cover art. 0_0
Come sooner June.

I know what I'm getting for my birthday in June. Can't wait to finally see this show. Dat cover art indeed.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:12 am

'Dat cover art. 0_0
Come sooner June.

:nosebleed: :tonguehang: :tonguehang: :tonguehang: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

WANT WANT WANT WANT

Return to “Anime and Manga”