What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Most OVAs aren't comedy versions of their serious TV counterparts. It's usually the "specials" that are labeled as OVA because they come on the DVD/Video releases that end up being parody/comedy.

Mai Otome, Kimagure Orange Road, Banner of the Stars, Rozen Maiden, Wolf's Rain, Stratos 4, Aria, Initial D, Ippo, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, xxxHolic, Gunslinger Girl, Red Garden, to name a few (TV show came first and wasn't a straight up comedy).

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Just watched episode 11 of Occult Academy and all I can say is wtf? The episode was good, but it felt like a total rush job. I have no idea where they plan on going from here, but hopefully the ending wont be something they just slapped together at the last minute. The show has been great up till now so it would suck hard if they screwed it up at the end.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:17 am

^OH MAN EP 11 WAS AWESOME

I don't think it was rushed at all, albeit there was so much lolplot stuck in the ep feeling like that is understandable :lol:

I think everyone saw the main tweeest coming ages ago, but I don't think many suspected the another revelation. Namely

SPOILER: Show
the vice principal is one of the good guys. AND A WHITE MAGE TO BOOT LOLWTFAWESOME

I know I didn't.

Man, really loved this ep.

I just hope the dynamic duo gets down to some serious asskicking in next episode

fuck yeah ^_^

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:54 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I don't think many suspected the another revelation.
I thought that broad outcome was kinda obvious, even from the two episodes I watched before deciding I'd had enough of Reaction Face Girl.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:06 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I thought that broad outcome was kinda obvious, even from the two episodes I watched before deciding I'd had enough of Reaction Face Girl.

Well, in that case you were far more perceptive than I was :lol:

And Maya is great.

Bunmei on the other hand...

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 pm

I had no idea the vice principle would turn out to be good either. Miss goodie two shoes being bad on the other hand wasn't much of a shock at all. They had pretty much given that away in the previous episode.

You are not alone in your love for the dynamic duo, Xard. My personal wish is we get some kind of epic "last stand" situation going on in witch the two of them have to go back to back against endless hoards of monsters. If the show ends like this, I going to be one happy camper.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:15 am

It ended. ;_;

Goddamnit Japan silly, fluffy shows like It have no right at all to be so affecting.

^indeed ;____;

poor Azunyan.

Luckily it looks like some OVAs (?) or something are still coming...

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Goddamnit Japan silly, fluffy shows like It have no right at all to be so affecting.

This. That glorious new song was too much.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:25 am

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi Episode 12 [Final]

is out.

I´ll report back when I`m done watching it.

Edit1:I´m only a few minutes in and I spilled my coffee already.

GAINAX/NGETV END

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:59 am

View Original PostXard wrote: Luckily it looks like some OVAs (?) or something are still coming...

Supposedly 2 more TV episodes, on the 21st and 28th.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:01 pm

MAIN BROADCAST RUN OF K-ON IS COMING TO A CLOSE

Goddamnit man, this is probably the first episode where I want to give Azunyan a bigger hug than Mugi. Her VA was so awesome in that episode and the compositions were fucking heart wrenching.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:41 pm

K-ON!! 24...
Meh, I'm sad that it's come to an end like this. Second season really got me and turned out to be much better than expected in some cases.

Although I wish they would just skip the OP for the last episode. And maybe just have it as BGM in the end or something, for some reason when that's done in an anime it always gets me.

Theres a short scene in the manga that wasn't in the anime, could of been really touching if they put it in.

It was something like Yui asking Azusa how she feels about her now that they are about to part ways, and Azusa asks her if she wants to hear the bad or the good parts first..After listing several dozen bad things about Yui, she breaks into tears saying that she doesn't mind all of the bad things if Yui promises to stay in high school with her :crybaby: ugh, I wish I had the relevant picture.

K-ON!! turned out to be the most relaxing 25~ minutes of my week, every week. It will feel bad now that it's gone. Sigh...
Last edited by toe mash on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Ugh, too much talking about a slice of life anime. *shrivels* Needs more action. Currently watching and up to:

Daimos: Ep 38
Mazinger Z: Ep 68
Devilman: Ep 20
Dunbine: Ep 25
SD Gunam Brave Battle Warriors: Ep 22

I really need to finish Heroic Age.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:17 am

Just finished Suzuka. I thought it was overall pretty fun to watch, it had some good characters and I enjoyed the way the plot developed. The problem I had with it was that many developments/characterizations seemed unnatural in the way the screenwriters dealt with them, and I found myself just having to go along with it every once in awhile, which isn't such a problem especially for the romance genre, but it could've been handled better.

7/10

Now it's time to play me some DEFCON

SpearofLonginus
Lilith

Postby SpearofLonginus » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Ive finally picked up Texhnolyze again and I am determined to get through it this time. I love all the series ABe has worked on (and seen a good chunk of those with Chiaki Konaka's involvement, mostly because they work together) but this one keeps losing my interest. Must... preservere...

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:12 pm

K-On!! 23/24

:nopity: :(

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Gundam seed ep. 16
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:12 pm

I just finished the latest Funimation DVD release of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. (Episodes 14-26, I think.) Very good. It's nice to see Ed and Al moments reach beyond the almost naive state of "Oh, gee whizz, Ed. I can't wait until we get our bodies back!" that the original kept falling into. Sure, they still had scenes where they were looking forward to that, but it actually progressed in emotional and plot complexity this time around.

And continuity in the rules of alchemy is always good, too. Almost none of the mythical rules of the last half of the first series were congruent at all with the first half. Brotherhood fixes that nicely. (So far...)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:17 am

Rewatched NGE 9-11, after a long gap.

I still don't see A/S vibes in episode 9, despite having been exposed to rabid shipping in the interim. And my memories of episode 11 must have been contaminated by the dub, because Asuka came over way mellower than I remembered.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Man, this was awesome.
I´m getting a DVD/BD of it after pirating said movie, promise.

TRIVIA:
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto did the character design for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Just look at her figure/hair.

Doesn´t she remind of you a certain someone?

Hint:
If you really need one, you shouldn´t really be here.

Return to “Old Stickies”