[Film] The 2010 Academy Awards

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

[Film] The 2010 Academy Awards

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Inspired by the discussion in the Avatar thread, I created a topic solely for the Oscars. Even though I haven't seen nearly any 2009 film, I would like to share my guesses about the nominations and (eventually) winners.

First of all, 10 films will be nominated for Best Picture this year so pretty much anything can be nominated this year. Here's a few films that I consider possible:

The Hurt Locker: Critics have hailed it as the smartest and best Iraq War drama so far. While I personally doubt its quality, I'm certain it is probably the most likely film to win the category. It has a relevant (even if overused) subject and a fresh approach - and most of all, it's extremely serious. That's certainly going to attract the attention of members of the Academy.

Precious: A film about an overweight black girl is so clearly an Oscar bait film. Although it might not have been originally intended as one, it is certainly something the Academy will notice. It helps a lot that it has been mostly praised by American critics.

Up in the Air: This year could be Jason Reitman's year.

The Lovely Bones: Won't probably be Jackson's year again, but it might receive a nomination.

Up: Pixar finally has a chance to win the Best Picture Oscar now that there will be 10 nominees for the category - and Up seems to be their best film in years.

Nine: Come on, it's a Rob Marshall film. The Academy loves the guy. He already won the Best Picture with Chicago which was basically the same film with a smaller cast and it was not a rip-off of a great film. I don't believe in its chances to win, though - because it didn't please the critics.

A Single Man: It seems like a deliciously dramatic film with a supposedly strong leading performance. In fact, Colin Firth might win an Oscar for his performance.

A Serious Man: Directed by Coens so it will automatically get a nomination - although it might be too funny to be considered for the award.

Inglourious Basterds: It will get a nomination at best, but because it's a Quentin Tarantino film and way too tongue-in-cheek, it has no chances of winning the award.

Invictus: OSCAR BAIT. Especially because it's directed by Clint Eastwood. The Academy loves him more than anyone else.

Avatar: Will be nominated only due to its popularity and technological achievements.

The real interest will be in the acting awards this time. There's a huge number of male performances that could be nominated: Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker), George Clooney (Up in the Air), Colin Firth (A Single Man), Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart), Morgan Freeman (Invictus), Viggo Mortensen (The Road) and Matt Damon (The Informant!). I will be cheering for Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) to get the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

The category for Best Foreign Language Film is quite unpredictable, but it usually provides pleasant surprises. Such as the winner of last year, Departures.

DISCUSS.

PS: Because I'm a fan of Saoirse Ronan, I hope she gets a nod for her performance in The Lovely Bones.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:18 pm

I had a few problems with The Hurt Locker, which I will divulge after I see it a second time (to make sure my memory's not making shit up). That being said, its levels of suspense were Hitchcockian. It has this award in a bag. However, if it wins for best editing, I will punt a bunny.

I'm surprised to see predictions for Chen Kaige's Forever Enthralled as a nominee for the Foreign Language category, especially considering the rather lukewarm reception the film's gotten worldwide. Reuters is predicting that Bong Joon-Ho's Mother, Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon, and Jacques Audiard's A Prophet will be among the ranks.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Re: [Film] The 2010 Academy Awards

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Oz wrote:Invictus: OSCAR BAIT. Especially because it's directed by Clint Eastwood. The Academy loves him more than anyone else.

He's fucking Clint Eastwood. Lots of fucking people love him. Loads love him more than the Academy ever could. I really doubt he ever makes his films purposely to win an Oscar. I think he just makes films because he enjoys making them.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:52 pm

It's a Los Angeles thing. The Academy loves Eastwood and hates Scorsese.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:04 pm

I have yet to see 3 or 4 of the movies you've posted but don't you think Coraline deserves a nomination? The Golden Globes thought so. I would be delighted to see it win over or Up! for Best Animated even though I know it won't, heh.

I agree with you on Tarantino's latest. It won't win but it will be nice to see him get some appreciation. Up In The Air is going to nab a few awards for sure, at least one of the actors in it will win too I bet. It's a well put together movie so no qualms from me on that.

I really liked the Hurt Locker but I don't see it winning anything. The competition it has is too stiff. Precious has a very strong chance for best picture this year however, and Invictus will get actor/director nods but I do not see this movie winning best picture either.

My prediction is Nine wins every award in every single category because its a musical and the academy is like a bunch of rabid Twilight preteens when it comes to those. Like when they awarded the shit out of 'Chicago' instead of the movies/actors that actually deserved them.

I also think 10 nominations is far to excessive. Yeah it presents a good Top Ten list for the year of sorts, but its far too easy to see the five-seven films that are not going to win.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:33 pm

@backseatjesus: Invictus is an obvious target for the Academy because it is a political biopic. I don't have anything against Eastwood, but the Academy gives him too much love in my opinion.

@Orphan Of Darkness: Coraline might not get a chance in Best Picture because animation is not appreciated enough for the award. It will certainly get a nomination for the Best Animated Feature. If Up joins the Best Picture race, Coraline is more likely to win the Animation Oscar.

The real obstacle for Nine's triumph is its failure among critics. Just look at the Rotten Tomatoes score. It might win a few minor awards though (i.e. Best Costume Design).

I think it's great to have 10 nominees because that gives a better chance for films that would never have a chance otherwise. Besides, this way the Academy can pick popular nominees so that the TV broadcast gets more viewers. The broadcast has had weak ratings in the past few years.

EDIT: I totally forgot Jane Campion's Bright Star. Its chances to win are relatively small though.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:41 pm

backseatjesus wrote:
Oz wrote:Invictus: OSCAR BAIT. Especially because it's directed by Clint Eastwood. The Academy loves him more than anyone else.

He's fucking Clint Eastwood. Lots of fucking people love him. Loads love him more than the Academy ever could. I really doubt he ever makes his films purposely to win an Oscar. I think he just makes films because he enjoys making them.

And by all practical measurements, he's the best director in the business right now. He finishes his movies on time, under budget, and always turns a profit. With that sort of consistency, he effectively has carte blanche.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:19 pm

Coraline winning "Best Animated Picture" would be great

anyways, I can see Christoph Waltz getting an oscar nomination for his performance in "Inglourious Basterds"
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:29 pm

GasmaskAvenger wrote:Coraline winning "Best Animated Picture" would be great.

Oh God yes!
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:30 pm

I didn't even see "Up", so I can't comment on it at all
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:09 am

<- Has zero interest in or respect for The Oscars

Nine has gotten very lukewarm reviews so I doubt it'll get nominated.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:11 am

the Oscars, as contrived as they are, is always interesting to watch

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:14 am

The show is fine, I just have no interest in the awards themselves. I doubt most of those in the industry do either beyond a respect/monetary boost that it provides.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 am

I wish the ceremony was only about two hours long and stopped taking itself as seriously as it does considering IMO it's little more than an elaborate publicity stunt for the studios and their films
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:23 am

I have a feeling either Up in the Air, or Avatar would win. I would want Avatar to win, but Up in the Air is more likely to win.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:43 am

maybe I'm being too much of a fanboy or film dweeb, but I would be shocked if Avatar got something like Best Picture

IMO, the Academy has been going out of its way for a few generations now to NOT slap Oscars onto the big budget, blockbuster-type films

sure, there's The Lord of the Rings, Titanic and a few other recent examples to the contrary, but still, there's so many films that the Academy awards (pardon the pun) that I don't care about at all
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:59 am

@Jimbo: I don't respect the Oscars either because the awards are hardly ever given for artistical merit of any sort. There's usually some other silly reason to select the winners. However, I'm interested in seeing which films the Academy chooses to praise every year. And betting never gets old.

By the way, what do you think about the hosts (Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin)?

PS: I wish the Oscars would still be like this.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:59 am

The Oscars are like the World Olympics. At times it's nominations are legitimate, but there are times where you can tell someone's paying off the judges.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:29 am

I liked Coraline and Up a lot. I'm fairly certain that Up is the better of the two, and has a better shot at best animated feature. While Coraline was very enjoyable, Up had people in tears. That first 20 minutes on its own deserves an Oscar.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:While Coraline was very enjoyable, Up had people in tears. That first 20 minutes on its own deserves an Oscar.

no kidding... I'm not quite sure just why it was so brilliant but... it just was.

Return to “Film and Video”