Evangelion Bluray Re-release

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:37 am

Reichu wrote:Long story short, Renewal/Platinum doesn't have the real OAs for 21 and 22. You have to buy an earlier release to see those OAs with their original footage intact. But most of the original footage is so ugly, only the diehards would want to see it.

So the Perfect Collection has the original footage, then?

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:18 pm

come to think of it why was the new production cuts from death never utilized throughout the series when renewal was released?

Example: In episode 6 when Rei comes to Shinji with the operation yashima timetable. The animation is distractingly bad. But there was a new cut of it in death that could have been slotted in quite nicely?
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:30 pm

skikes wrote:come to think of it why was the new production cuts from death never utilized throughout the series when renewal was released?

Example: In episode 6 when Rei comes to Shinji with the operation yashima timetable. The animation is distractingly bad. But there was a new cut of it in death that could have been slotted in quite nicely?

Also from ep. 6 the last scene (Rei's smile) was re-animated for Death and I think it looked much better... but I don't think it was used in the Renewal version...
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:45 pm

I want the Blu-Ray release of Evangelion to buy me flowers every other week. Maybe comment on my clothes or hair to make me feel pretty every once in a while. It would be nice if it picked up after itself, and maybe helped out with the dishes, too.

Really, what I want is just the series with good image and sound quality, progressive scan, and good subtitles. A few special features might not hurt either. I'm not that picky.

(Ironically, I'm very picky about most DVD's of foreign films because they often lack acceptable image and sound quality, or the original aspect ratio, or are interlaced, and have terrible subtitles or only come dubbed)

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Yeah, even after the remastering, some parts are just ugly, especialy halfway through the series there are a lot of distorted faces... I wished there was a Blu-Ray release, with some parts re-drawn like in ep.'s 22 DC.

LiLi wrote:Also from ep. 6 the last scene (Rei's smile) was re-animated for Death and I think it looked much better... but I don't think it was used in the Renewal version...

Rei's smile in the original tv series

Same scene from Death

So, yeah... it looks A LOT better in Death. Why didn't they use this footage in the Platinum edition?

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Her bangs are going clockwise in death, as opposed to the original counterclockwise. Quick, someone prove the symbolism!

Edit: but if they used footage from death wouldn't it look completely out of place? I mean watching original animation 1 second and then seeing completely redrawn scene with better color schemes the next?

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 pm

What the hell? I can't even tell if she's smiling. Her mouth is broke in half! The original is better.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 pm

ath wrote:So the Perfect Collection has the original footage, then?

Yes. And don't worry. You're not missing much. I only have the Perfect Collection because I was too cheap to buy the Platinum dvds when I decided to buy the series.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:48 pm

Combs wrote:What the hell? I can't even tell if she's smiling. Her mouth is broke in half! The original is better.
The new version is for people who can read facial expressions. The old version is for people who watch shonen.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:
Combs wrote:What the hell? I can't even tell if she's smiling. Her mouth is broke in half! The original is better.
The new version is for people who can read facial expressions. The old version is for people who watch shonen.

LOL yes! :clap:

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:23 pm

personally, I think #2 is better. Idono it just seems idono more genuine maybe. Its like a a small but happy smile, it doesnt have to be ear to ear to be a smile or show shes happy, if you make a big shit eating smile it kinda feels like she was just forcing herself to smile for Shinji instead of showing actual connection(?) IMO. (please forgive my language)

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 pm

I like them both, but I’d have to say #2 is better.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:29 am

I always thought a small Mona Lisa smile suited teh Rei best...

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:17 am

Comparing it like that actually makes more sense. In short: I suck
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:30 am

Combs wrote:I suck
Shh, Combs-kun, it's okay. ^_^ I've re-released a blu-ray version of you in my heart.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:45 am

Hmm. Well, things like still-frames-being-held-for-a-long-time and recycling-of-animation don't bother me as much as I think they bother some other people.

However, I do find myself getting a little irked by some of the "AUGH! WHAT HAPPENED TO RITSUKO'S FACE!"/"GOOD GRIEF! CHECK OUT GENDO'S FOREHEAD!"/etc. moments. And, of course, there are whole episodes (I'm thinking 10-12 & 17 in particular) where this sort of thing goes on for about the full 20 minutes. I wouldn't mind some touch-up work on that kind of stuff.

In places where this isn't a problem, though, I think the series still looks fine. Very much a product of its time, but fine nevertheless.

So I suppose I would go for B, then. Though the chances of it happening after Rebuild are pretty slim.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:49 am

I find the 'fugly moments' distracting, but for geekiness' sake I would like the Bluray release to include all the DVD versions of the episodes* - TV, ON AIR (Renewal) and DC.

:EDIT: *to clarify, I'm referring to episodes 21-24. :sweatdrop:
Last edited by LiLi on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:22 am

Wouldn't it be "On air", "Video/LD", "Renewal"? IIRC, the original ADV release in the US was the on air release (because Gainax hadn't finished the Video/LD versions of the later episodes), while the release in Japan was Video/LD (includes DC), which the US then released individually the DC episodes which included "On air" and "Video/LD" versions of episodes 25 and 26, then the Japanese released Renewal (includes remastered DC) and US Platinum release mirrored it, where its doubles of the DC episodes were the Video/LD versions of 21-24. So that should be a total of 3 different versions: On Air 1-26, Video/LD 1-20, 21'-24', 25-26, and Renewal 1-20, 21'-24', 25-26.

Then we have all the versions of the movies, Death, Death True, Death True^2, Rebirth, EoE and Renewal EoE. The Manga Entertainment release of "Rebirth" was actually just lifted directly from EoE, and not the Rebirth that was shown in theatres.

On top of all of that, you'd have to also make room for the 1080p version of 1-20, 21'-24', 25-26, Death, and EoE.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:35 am

Ornette wrote:Wouldn't it be "On air", "Video/LD", "Renewal"? IIRC, the original ADV release in the US was the on air release (because Gainax hadn't finished the Video/LD versions of the later episodes), while the release in Japan was Video/LD (includes DC), which the US then released individually the DC episodes which included "On air" and "Video/LD" versions of episodes 25 and 26, then the Japanese released Renewal (includes remastered DC) and US Platinum release mirrored it, where its doubles of the DC episodes were the Video/LD versions of 21-24. So that should be a total of 3 different versions: On Air 1-26, Video/LD 1-20, 21'-24', 25-26, and Renewal 1-20, 21'-24', 25-26

To clarify, I was referring solely to the ON AIR vs DC vs TV episodes we were discussing earlier. That is, I'd just be interested in seeing the actual on air (as in TV versions) of episodes 21-24 released as extra on BluRay since I don't have them. :sweatdrop:

I was just trying to keep consistent with the naming used here previously and in the Japanese DVD release I have (the one from 2007). The 2007 JPN release - supposing it's basically Renewal? - has both the ON AIR (what you call Video/LD I assume) and DC versions of eps.21-24 - that's what they are called on the discs, AFAIK.

I think my version has 1-26 + 21'-24' + Renewal version of the Movie (Death True ^2 + EoE?).

I don't know if different video versions for eps. 1-20 exist (remastering for better picture quality aside - I'm talking about actual footage here) but I'd be interested in hearing about it. If all that was changed for the Renewal version was the added bits of audio tech babble, I guess an extra audio track could take care of that?

:EDIT:

"Video/LD" versions of episodes 25 and 26,

Are you referring to the original NGE ending as opposed to 25' and 26' or is there also a different Video release of 25 and 26?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:21 am

LiLi wrote:
"Video/LD" versions of episodes 25 and 26,

Are you referring to the original NGE ending as opposed to 25' and 26' or is there also a different Video release of 25 and 26?

The US individual release of the DC episodes came on 2 DVDs with 6 episodes each, the 2nd DVD has the DC and On-Air of 24, plus the Video/LD and On-Air of the last 2 episodes of the TV series.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”