What are the differences between English Platinum dub?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
V
Banned

What are the differences between English Platinum dub?

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Ok, trying to work this out definitively here:

we all know that the "Platinum Edition" English Dub release by ADV Films contains the four "Director's Cut" episodes, 21 through 24, with an entirely new dub for all four episodes as well as new scenes (22 minutes in all, divided between the four episodes...wait, 22 minutes, is that about right?)

btw, what do you call the "original release" from ADV? The VHS version? (something of a misnomer as I do believe it was released on DVD for a while but was basically the same thing)

at any rate, I have heard mention that *****even within episodes 1-20, there are slight differences between the original version and Platinum version.

First off, *why* were these changes made? Things they knew they couldn't get away with the first time, or what?

****the biggest one I hear of is Shinji's "bullshit!" line in episode 5 : was this edited out of the original dub script, or added in because they thought they could "get away with more" in Platinum, or what? What's the story with this? I've heard people mention it but no clear explanation.

But there are other things, case in point: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/edit-list/2005-11-08/neon-genesis-evangelion-ep-2-and-3

Misato's "You don't think it's contamination, do you?" changed to "You don't think it's brain damage, do you?" to Ritsko while riding in the truck.

I don't believe this is an edit but reflects the dialogue changes that were made between the regular and Platinum versions of Eva ("You don't think it's contamination, do you?" is the line from the Platinum edition).

So this line was "fixed" for Platinum?

What else is notably different **within episodes 1 to 20?

P.S. Yes, yes the "Bullshit" line is definitely a different between regular and Platinum:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/edit-list/2005-11-21/neon-genesis-evangelion-ep-4-and-5

The "Bullshit" is again due to a difference between the original English dub, and the adjusted dub from the Platinum version. The "Bullshit" did not appear in the original dub and as such is not an edit by Adult Swim.]

I realize that.....many here weren't really paying close attention to details in the ENGLISH dub...but still, are there any other major changes between regular and Platinum that are commonly known about?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”