Character Pages

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Incisivis wrote:Is it all right to use the Geektionary term "transition guide" in the character profiles? Obviously the forms that the tg's take are important to some character descriptions...

I don't see why not.

I realize that the character profile shots from the OP provide a consistent and easy source of images, but maybe it might look better to have screencaps from the series as a character image?

Additional pics can always be tossed into the article itself.

Some of the characters already do have non-OP pics in place as their "portraits". I wouldn't mind eventually replacing a few of the OP pics with less generic images, but there's a lot of material to go through.

OMF wrote:We could try a montage.

Don't make me break out into song.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Reichu wrote:Don't make me break out into song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Px7MWDlPOak

(Sorry, it's just I get the feeling we need some LULZ around here to work off any stress. ^_^)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:08 pm

How long did it take you to make that!? Also, what program were you using? I think we should upload that one to the server at a later date for posterity.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Reichu wrote:Don't make me break out into song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Px7MWDlPOak

(Sorry, it's just I get the feeling we need some LULZ around here to work off any stress. ^_^)

...I thought of that exact same song when OMF suggested it.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Huh? I didn't make this, it's something that's somebody uploaded onto Youtube.

Like I tried to state somewhere before, Youtube DOES have some gems (Neon Menaces Evangelion for one thing) among its junk, you just have to shift through it. ...Or something.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:58 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Huh? I didn't make this, it's something that's somebody uploaded onto Youtube.

And we must eventually try to contact them and archive the video on the site.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Agreed. :nod: Apparently their video is up for download on Anime Music Videos ...com .org, whatever the end of the URL is.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:14 pm

I hope to get some real work done on these pages, but I have more annoying questions

1. There's a nerd fight going on at EMF about whether Shinji attempted to commit suicide in 25'. Do I make a "weasley" mention as in, "He may have tried to commit suicide, as suggested by his wet head" or just leave it out entirely?

2. Status of EoTV/EoE concurrency? Because I want to include a blurb about their significance to Shinji in his profile, and so far have separate paragraphs describing each, while saying nothing on if they are part of a whole or not.

I've not yet decided for myself if EoE and EoTV combine. I believe they are alternative perspectives on the same, or similar events, and have Shinji rejecting the big I all around.

The attempted suicide thing never occured to me before, but I can see it, and reconcile it with Anno's statement about Shinji originally being too depressed to commit it.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:11 pm

With EoTV/EoE, I personally see them as being literally concurrent (incorrect wording with the "literal" part?). EoTV is the mental state of what's going on, while EoE's the physical state. This is mostly because I don't like to see one ending as being more "true" than the other; but also because it just clicks; it makes sense to me this way. (Hell if I know why. :shrug: )

I think the more "normal" fans though (such as the people here :tonguegrin:) tend to think that they're complimentary: it's the same ending (Shinji rejecting Instrumentality because he can live "here": In Reality/the Real World), but it's portrayed via different means of expressing it. And that EoE is the "true" ending of the series, while EoTV is like the "proto-EoE". (Even though EoE would have become the actual series ending had Gainax done things the way they wanted...) Dunno how accurate I am with my thoughts on what the other members think about EoE though.

With Shinji's 25' suicide attempt, I think Reichu mentioned that it IS the case, but "softer" words are called for.
I wrote up something about him tried to drown, so I guess instead of that it would sound "better" to say he dunked his head in the lake. Sounds kinda lame with my wording though, so you can probably come up with something better.
I personally think both Shinji and Asuka attempting suicide is obvious, though I know the latter is "shitstorm territory" while the former seems to be suffering from that fate too... *Headsigh*

Anyway, hope all of the above made sense and I wasn't rambling too much. I'm feeling really tired today for some reason.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:19 pm

Leave all potentially contentious issues aside for the moment and concentrate on fleshing out the fundamentals of the show on the Wiki. Admittedly a lot has been done already, but I think more is still needed before we can begin expanding into more complicated areas.

As always, anything not mentioned in the show, or something that is not immediately obvious, needs sauce if it is to be put on the Wiki. As such, the suicide thing will need a link to a thread in which a conclusion was debated and reached successfully. In any case, something like that should be placed in the Theory and Analysis section, as it will always be speculative to a degree.

Ending concurrency should only be discussed in depth on the appropriate Theory and Analysis page. It will likely be a big article, dealing with multiple points, and/or a series of articles. If concurrency issues are being discussed or mentioned in detail on regular wiki pages, they shouldn't be. That's to be left to the indepth Theory page.

As an aside issue, since the EMF boards are technically still not fully back yet, the community at large doesn't really have a place to discuss any recent contentious issues. Because of this, it would be unwise to mention them at all on the wiki.

I'll make a contentious issues template, which people can use to flag any issue they feel is being concluded prematurely on the wiki.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:19 pm

concentrate on fleshing out the fundamentals of the show on the Wiki.

Sounds good to me, though (zomg Newbie alert!) what do you mean by "fleshing out the fundamentals of the show"; just what should be focused on/worked on, exactly?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:32 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Sounds good to me, though (zomg Newbie alert!) what do you mean by "fleshing out the fundamentals of the show"; just what should be focused on/worked on, exactly?

Browse around existing wiki pages and try to see what's obviously missing. Of the content that is there, try to add to or improve it in any way, with images or additional text. There's a lot of material that could do with citing so mark any you find with the {{fact}} tage or the {{Unreferenced}} template. I'm thinking of flagging a few articles with the {{Cleanup}} template, and probably having a good hacking session at the wiki myself, as soon as I figure out how to correctly format those images.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:24 am

Understood. I'll keep all this in mind as I'm getting ready.
I liek Shinji

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:45 pm

Is there a specific way/format that sources should be cited? Because I have several listed on some pages, just not got around to "prettying" it up.

Thanks for replying so soon, I appreciate it! ^_^

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:00 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Is there a specific way/format that sources should be cited? Because I have several listed on some pages, just not got around to "prettying" it up.

Are you using the citation extention used here?. As to the format of citing, I'm not sure how one would go about in in detail. Citation hasn't been dealt with in the site policies yet. Perhaps everyone should experiment to see what style works out best.

Also, there's no need to cite direct statements from the show.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Thanks for replying so soon, I appreciate it! ^_^
You caught me on one of my good days. I'm normally not so punctual, like most people around here. I bait Reichu, but will she appear?

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:28 pm

Yes, as I've mentioned before, I mucked around with the characterization aspects of the character profiles. I'm also planning to add the name origins, and write-ups that I didn't put in yet.

Also, perhaps, screencaps of certain character ages, moments, outfits, and personal accessories.

So my question is...what else is needed to move these articles from their "Stub" status?
I liek Shinji

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

(Lilim) Character Pages -- suggestions for expansion?

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:10 pm

Since I'm trying to get myself in gear for doing more work on the encyclopedia (because I'm now between jobs and have a lot of free time) , my first thought was...what else do we do with the character pages for Shinji, Asuka, etc.?

I know that I want to tweak the character profiles I wrote so they don't seem so beholden to my own ideas, but I'm wondering what else we would *add* to them.

I have seen what other fandoms do for such things: a summary of the character's actions in the series, a list of appearances, lists of relevant character quotes, but I'm seeing those additions as pointless, though I'd love to hear what others think.
I liek Shinji

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:46 pm

I can't remember when exactly it was, but I know that after you added some things to Shinji, Asuka and Rei's pages (maybe Misato's too), I did some tweaking of my own and added/fixed a few things.

We already seem to have something of a Quotes section for each episode, so I doubt we'd need that for the Character Pages too...

And I think a list of appearances would be pointless since the Character Bio box...thingy says what Episode # they appeared in.

One thing I learned from Reichu et al: the purpose of those pages isn't to diagnose the characters with what Psychological problems they have. ;)

Hope this post helps a little.

EDIT: By the way, how come your Rank doesn't have the word "Scribe"/another Eva Geeks helper Title next to it?? (Same with Bob/Smith's info for that matter...)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:By the way, how come your Rank doesn't have the word "Scribe"/another Eva Geeks helper Title next to it?? (Same with Bob/Smith's info for that matter...)

(A) Because I forgot.
(B) Because he didn't find the Scribe thing terribly fun.

I haven't paid much attention to the Character pages, so I can't comment at the moment.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:08 pm

If anything, the Manga character information needs some verifying, particularly in case of Romantic Rei, Aryan Asuka and Kittykiller Kaworu.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”