FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:28 am

The stupid can't be fixed: some people accessing pr0n sites through their smartphones... sure enough someone gets bombed by a drive-by download telling that the Feds just locked their phone and asking for Bitcoins. Or hijacking their Facebook accounts so that they can spam a lot of pr0n.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:45 am

Minor FML: My lovely Japanese teacher gave me some Japanese sweets as a leaving gift. Among these were these things called Umai...I tried one and it was utterly rancid.

Now I feel really bad.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:46 am

Japanese tastes can be quite odd to western tounges, no doubt. LiLi sent me a selection of weird things like that a few years ago, Which spanned from awesome sour puffy crunchy things to this matted seaweed glob that was absolutely horrid. You never know until you try though!

Likewise that's how my dog learned to never ever beg for sushi... a roll slice that had a chunk of wassabi in the middle made her life absolutely miserable for a while. Poor thing rolled around on the floor pressing at her snout with both paws and snorting up a storm trying to get the horribleness out! -o-;
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:18 pm

auagh, so recently I had language barrier issues with the cashiers in Suwon. I forgot how to ask for grocery bags (they don't give you the bags by default. you do it yourself here) and I felt so embarrassed and I forgot what to say. I went back into the line with recycle bags uughh and then it killed me inside having to go through again. I ran like hell into the elevator and just went home instantly. It was the kind of embarrassing where I not only pissed them off, but I wanted to curl into a little ball and start crying.

My sister made it a little better by getting a tapioca pastry for me. Still, today is Monday and I'm going to stay home and refresh on Korean, exercise so I'm not overweight when I go back to America, and then I'm going to go back to the store in one week

One lucky thing though (which doesn't make this much of an fml really anymore), is that my sister said I'm not allowed to shop every day, only on weekends. That...that's a good thing to forbid.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:46 pm

On another forum, someone just posted a farewell thread after making 7000 posts.

A day later, his son logged in, saying that was his dad who later shut down because he had a terminal disease and spent his last days confined in a bed and with a laptop on.

Damn. :facepalm:

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:14 pm

So my search engine of choice, Gibiru, has recently stopped displaying any results that are even remotely NSFW. Trying to search for Gelbooru for example brings up a bunch of links to Chinese websites like Weibo and Baidu.

I think Gibiru may be compromised. Time to find a new search engine I guess.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Google's too mainstream for you?

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:49 am

Google is basically owned by the NSA. I don't particularly fancy using a search engine that tracks my every move.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:11 am

Oh man, so it seems like it's gonna rain all week here

I actually haven't seen the sun in 2 weeks. I guess I should be accustomed to this dreadful weather sooner or later

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:49 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Google is basically owned by the NSA. I don't particularly fancy using a search engine that tracks my every move.

Paranoia is a fine thing. There are better reasons to use an alternative to Google, though.

This review places Gibiru's trustworthiness below both DuckDuckGo and StartPage, both for the lack of a credible privacy policy and for the requirement to install software from the said dubious entity.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:11 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Paranoia is a fine thing. There are better reasons to use an alternative to Google, though.

Better to be owned by Putin than by the NSA, I suppose. At least in Squig's life.

StartPage and DuckDuckGo look interesting, though.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:27 pm

Not really a FML but more of a "Why did I worry so much about this asshat loser?".
Some time ago I had a nasty run-in with someone on another web forum, a run-in that really disgusted me of that forum's subject for a long while. Today I decided to have another look at the forum, but first Googled the guy. Wish I had done that sooner:

- History of trolling major gaming forum I won't name, including posting false game information, personal attacks, and self-aggrandizing bullshit, going back for 15 years. :lol:
- Guy appears to indulge in using multiple, thinly disguised accounts for gaming in a single community (I thought that was frowned on?).
- Digging a little further, I found a person with almost exactly the same username, interests and posting style, owning a DeviantArt account filled with pretty horrible furry gaming fan-art (art style bordering on Sonichu-level), including self-inserts into romantic situations with a very common game character, and posts telling how he is an academic genius of international acclaim despite admitting not getting grades any higher than 'average' and not being able to understand the difference between a MSc and PhD (and quite a lot of other things). :facepalm:

Why the f... did I worry about this moron?

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:28 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Paranoia is a fine thing. There are better reasons to use an alternative to Google, though.

This review places Gibiru's trustworthiness below both DuckDuckGo and StartPage, both for the lack of a credible privacy policy and for the requirement to install software from the said dubious entity.

Hmm. Interesting. In that case I'm switching to DuckDuckGo.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:01 am

Okay, I've been YouTube videos for the better part of five years at this point. I'm not going to call myself the greatest channel on the planet (because I'm seriously not; I'm don't even rank myself in the top 30 of game reviewing channels), but I've always tried to be honest with what I do and not bullshit people with all manner of nonsense. Nearly five years: about 900 subscribers and around 460,000 views in total. I'm fine with that.

Then I look at the recommendations based on what my dad's been watching on YouTube and I see hysterical garbage like "What the Royal Family Doesn't Want YOU To See!!", "Atheist Smacks Down Hysterical Christian Retard!" or "Illuminati Wife Tells All!" (these are all actual video titles, if you're curious) with far more views per individual video than I'll probably ever see unless I turn into Jesus Christ or something. Shitty head-line grabbing titles meant to drive people into watching shit intended to make them further distrust, lie to and hate each other mindlessly, and all for the sake of getting some money from ad revenue or similar reasons of dishonest bottom-fuckery.

I don't care about video views; I'm just furious that people who genuinely try to have an intelligent discussion about art or even just to be honest about the things they do and like are being drowned out by these perpetually angry, lying shitheads more interested in money or looking smart for unravelling the latest 'conspiracy' (apparently, people actually believe the Royal Family is made entirely of reptilian humans) than anything good or beneficial that doesn't resort to endless arguments and hatred.

Fucking hell, people. I thought you were supposed to be sensible, or at least, not insane.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:41 am

It's always been garbage in, garbage out. Only in this time we're seeing enhanced garbage.

---------
Came home almost penniless. One of my would-be customers turned out to be somewhat schizophrenic.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:29 pm

So I'm taking pills to deal with a nasty case of folliculitis, and they're giving me very loose bowels.

Urgh.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:11 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:So I'm taking pills to deal with a nasty case of folliculitis, and they're giving me very loose bowels.
I fail to see how that is a problem.

So, I don't exactly know what happened to OpenSUSE. In the middle of a kernel upgrade, it kernel panicked. Which basically screwed everything else up. I booted into an old version of the kernel, but, somehow, KDE had been removed, so I was stuck with IceWM. I tried to finish the update series that I was running and it further fucked things up.

So I reinstalled Debian and everything it now rosy. It's nice that Jessie is the new stable version...and ATI has updated their drivers so it works with the new kernel version. Steam also works. So not too much was lost. Though I will miss YaST.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:51 am

I'm trying to work out to get rid of my gross looking belly fat, but I realize how I'm struggling to find a place to run freely without bumping into people. I can attempt to do some rigorous workouts in the apartment, but we're unfortunately on the second floor sooo yeah that's not gonna happen.

SPOILER: Show
I will admit that I look stunning while clothed, and I have an attractive, blemish-free face. However in nothing but my undergarments, let alone naked....yeah basically you don't want to see that unless if you're my boyfriend. My stomach looks like it got run over hundreds of times and all of my limbs are flabby. I'm not obese though thankfully, but I used to be fairly close.

It's like, I really really TRY to exercise and stay in shape, but there's always something for some reason that keeps me from doing it to the fullest. I think I'll keep doing some basic yoga or something. My eating habits aren't really a problem because of my current location and also for the fact that I just simply don't overeat. Plus, I'm not a red meat eater. White meat is okay with me though.

On top of that, I tried jellyfish salad. I swallowed the first bite but immediately spat the second out and threw out the entire thing. it feels like cooked spaghetti but it tastes like pickled skin and there's this nasty crunch when I bite into it. I then just said "fuck it" and ate the dried sardines from the pantry and a carrot.
Last edited by r1cepurin on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:37 am

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:It's like, I really really TRY to exercise and stay in shape, but there's always something for some reason that keeps me from doing it to the fullest. I think I'll keep doing some basic yoga or something. My eating habits aren't really a problem because of my current location and also for the fact that I just simply don't overeat. Plus, I'm not a red meat eater. White meat is okay with me though.

Overeating usually isn't the main problem. Having a balanced diet and keeping that is. Lately I have been going to a cooking club (more of a social-meeting-thing for adults with handicaps, but anyway...), and eating healthily is a reoccuring topic. Unfortunately, the fatter people don't seem to understand that if you eat lots of greenery for three days followed by lots of fat and sweet stuff three days, again and again, you will alternate between weight loss and gain the whole time. Their other problem is that food they consider 'healthy' is, well, not. Fast food from the local shoarma is not healthy, and I don't care how much they like the owner of the local french fries shop, but that isn't healthy either - also, sprinkling all of their salads with a layer of mayonaise is not helping. When I suggested to make a Mediteranean salad (loads of greenery + olive-oil seasoning) they looked at me like I was some alien from Venus :facepalm: Also, special diets come up again and again, and making them understand that too many vitamins is about as unhealthy as too few is, like, impossible.
(okay, that was kinda some sort of a rant... -o-; )

Me, I go on brown bread, little sugar, little salt, very few sweets (except chocolate -o-; ), lots of greenery and pasta, sometimes some red meat, fish more often, some fruits (when they don't look like someone played rugby with them). Bike to work and back, and unfortunately I still have some flab (damn computer work...).

Speaking of bikes, maybe you could buy one of them exercise fitness bikes? They also sell kits so you can put your real bike on rollers in your house or apartment and bike indoors.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:03 pm

I don't blame you for not liking jellyfish. That stuff's weird-- I tried it around three years ago. Got it down, but didn't take a second bite and saw no reason to eat it again.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”