What anime are you watching right now? May-Nov '13

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Xard, Nick, even the stuff you guys complain about are what affected me the most about Clannad. :hahaha: The climax of the Fuuko arc made me cry (one of maaany times), and I never got the sense that the series was sappy or shmaltzy or what-have-you. I loved the sentimentalism like a desert wanderer loves water, probably because I'm so awash in so much cynicism and snark and insincerity in all my media and people online that whenever I see something that's not afraid to go full-on sentimental it's a tremendous relief.

Call me very, very Keytose tolerant. Clannad was made for me.

Also Fuuko arc had this one bit of hilarity I keep thinking of from time to time even when I haven't thought of Clannad per se in a long time: the "I'm Okazaki, I've turned into a girl!" and "Wha--! Two Okazakis!" "We divide sometimes" scene. Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:47 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Uchouten just keeps tumbling down.

I wouldn't say that. The teaser suggests a potential good end. Kaisei's already managed to redeem herself, and if the little brother and the frog wind up saving the day I'll be well-pleased. Benten even showed signs of acting like a decent person for once, and if we get more of that -- somewhere where it's a deciding factor -- my opinion of the show will do a 180.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:02 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I wouldn't say that. The teaser suggests a potential good end. Kaisei's already managed to redeem herself, and if the little brother and the frog wind up saving the day I'll be well-pleased. Benten even showed signs of acting like a decent person for once, and if we get more of that -- somewhere where it's a deciding factor -- my opinion of the show will do a 180.
Yeah, that was kind of a knee-jerk reaction on my part. I'm more optimistic now.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 am

I myself can't really see anything but Uchouten having a good end given that the otouto looks like he'll gain some backbone, Frogbro will save the day, and Benten has been showing a more sympathetic side to her character as of late.
(All pretty much what Baggs said :shifty:)

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby LegionWrex » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Currently going through Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) for the 3rd time LOL though the newest anime I've seen is Welcome to the NHK, and I absolutely loved it.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:30 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I loved the sentimentalism like a desert wanderer loves water, probably because I'm so awash in so much cynicism and snark and insincerity in all my media and people online that whenever I see something that's not afraid to go full-on sentimental it's a tremendous relief.

In general I definetly agree with this and I did love After Story also partly because of this.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Also Fuuko arc had this one bit of hilarity I keep thinking of from time to time even when I haven't thought of Clannad per se in a long time: the "I'm Okazaki, I've turned into a girl!" and "Wha--! Two Okazakis!" "We divide sometimes" scene. Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

That scene as hilarious, yeah. I liked the SoL comedy bits in general the most in first season and this definetly belonged to the top drawer material in that vector. :lol:

Nichijou

jäy jöy juu jöy jäjäjäjä jäi jäi or how it went...

( ͡° _ʖ ͡°)

Nichijou is Osaka's (Azumanga Daioh, not the manzai town) idea of stoner comedy amped up to eleven through KyoAni's post-Fort Knox robbery budgetary irresponsibility and Tatsuya Ishihara perfecting art of overreaction. In this everyday life candy ban is murder of John Lennon and spilling cup of coffee equivalent of Boston Tea Party. Even by standards of moon empire Nichijou's sense of comedy and general ingredients are, pardon the original idiom, fucking weird. In its own way humour in Nichijou is no less distinct and distinguished than in Jacques Tati's morose masterpiece Playtime.

Given such premises the everyday depicted doesn't really reflect a day in life as led by inhabitants of our world, but nevertheless the series is true to its name. While surreal comedy is name of the game it's almost as strongly a slice of life show following huge bunch of quirky characters through their high and low key lives in rather heartwarming fashion, perhaps best exemplified by relaxing, Where's Waldoesque pan over the city set to warm music acting as series's second ED. Schoolboys riding goats, talking cats, 8 year old professors, robot girls with giant windup keys and go-soccer players are par the course for series's cast and their lives are almost always interesting and most often very amusing. Seiyuus were amazing to boot. It's been a long time since anime has made me laugh out loud with such frequencies as Nichijou did when I finally got its groove.

Imagesatsugai seiyooo satsugai seiyooo

Just as important for Nichijou's success as the rather original source material is KyoAni's efforts in bringing the series alive. To get the big claims out of the way first animation quality is just insane. Insane. Even by KyoAni's sky high standards Nichijou is particularly stunning exhibition of their prowess and I have no qualms saying this is the best animated comedy series I've ever seen. The art direction and background art don't lose in comparison and opt for warm, simple pastel tones that suit the content perfectly. Pastoral, sweet soundtrack does its job just as well, emphatizing generally the gentle SoL lull over surreal. Digita effects are kept in minimum and when used integrated to other elements with noteworthy fluidness. It's rare for me to look at 3DCG models of characters and have considerable uncertainty whether or not I'm looking at hand drawn footage or not even for a second.

All this impressive technical effort is marshalled under Ishihara's always rock solid, often helluva impressive directing. Series's is very creative about its form and the way it mixes visual styles, sound and dynamic "camera" movements with bizarre reaction shots. The series dabbles in everything from art of silent comedy to impressive action(!) scenes to nico nico dougaesque MAD editing and it does everything supremely well. Ishihara's greatest talents have always been in depiction of everyday life, character expressions and comedic timing so Nichijou is pretty much perfect for him.

All in all Nichijou is great series in my eyes. Its technical merits are undeniable while the non-sequitur oddball comedic sensibilities syncs well with my own offbeat sense of humour. It doesn't steal Azumanga Daioh's crown as genre pinnacle but does come closer to that than pretty much any other comedic SoL with emphasis on comedy in a long, long time. Nevertheless I can't help but qualify my high praise for Nichijou with big if: the series's nonsense feel for funny was more often than not too much even for Japanese and if the comedy doesn't work for you Nichijou naturally loses a lot of its appeal.

Still, the character cuteness is enjoyable even in that case. Nano is pretty damn hhhhnnnggh for one.

9/10

( ͡° _ʖ ͡°)

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Cool, I'm glad someone liked Nichijou as much as I did. Fun show.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:43 pm

I don't think I'd ever even heard of it before. But after a review like that, I'll have to ask my anime-buying friend if he has it or wants to get it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 pm

I think the nichijou BDs are gorillions of doll hairs. Does it even have a BD box set in nippon?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:06 pm

You should go straight to Kill me Baby next.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:22 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I think the nichijou BDs are gorillions of doll hairs. Does it even have a BD box set in nippon?

It does, but even that costs more than 300$ (which is still less than a third of the price of buying them individually). Like Xard, I absolutely loved Nichijou. I would've liked to buy it for my (very humble) collection, but the cost is just too prohibitive. This is one anime that, if you refuse to torrent, you pretty much have no access to. And that's a darn shame.

View Original PostFireball wrote:You should go straight to Kill me Baby next.

I support this. :tongue:
Last edited by Paranoid on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:24 pm

View Original PostParanoid wrote:It does, but even that costs more than 300$
That's pretty common for Japanese BD boxes though, I didn't even know they had one.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 pm

I have the last 3 episodes of Nichijou back-logged, but what was the deal with all the hate in Japan? Hilarious series, as far as I'm concerned.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I don't think I'd ever even heard of it before. But after a review like that, I'll have to ask my anime-buying friend if he has it or wants to get it.

Or just watch it all on Crunchyroll, in 720p, for free.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:46 am

Nichijou was, in my view, good, but not that good. Yes, the cuteness is dialled up to 11; yes many of the gags are hilarious; but it lacks any sense of progression or development to hold all the elements together and give context. This is what makes Azumanga Daioh so great in comparison. You can watch Nichijou episodes in just about any order, and nothing much is different (Nano goes to school is about it for development), and by the end the professor's gags are getting thin and repetitive. I expect that it works far better watching just an episode a week, rather than marathoned, though, so I may be being a bit unfair because of the way I tend to take things in as a whole. For me it started at 8/10, but fell to 7/10 towards the end because it was starting to get boring - cute boring, funny boring, but still just a bit boring.

View Original PostParanoid wrote:This is one anime that, if you refuse to torrent, you pretty much have no access to.

Are Malaysian DVDs as illegal as torrenting? I find this hard to discern (though I've stopped buying them, I admit). I know the quality is less because they compress a lot. But you can buy a DVD of Nichijou for under $20 that way.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:21 am

I remember having a lot of fun with Nichijou in the first few episodes but it somehow failed to pull me in.
When I realized that I had to force myself to watch it, I got turned off immediately.

Xard should Astro Fighter Sunred next.
Probably not as funny, but infinitely more charming.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:47 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Holy shit! The Bard is right again!
Every few months or so- I make the same exclamation. I agree that Cagliostro is good stuff and has aged very well; although I haven’t seen much else out of the decade of disco to call it the “best annie may of 70’s” with any conviction.

View Original PostMy Rival wrote:I remember having a lot of fun with Nichijou in the first few episodes but it somehow failed to pull me in.
I was on the same boat. Very nice animation though. It has provided some good material for AMV Hell.

@topic-

I was less than impressed the first time I watched Seitokai Yakuindomo; I don’t know what has changed for me over the last two years, but suddenly- I really enjoy it now.
Maybe I’ve just come to recognise the show for what it is: a fun waste of time.
It’s almost charming in its ability to find something perverse in everything and nothing.

SYD continues to get a new OVA produced with every other quarter it would seem, so it must be doing something right… but so does Kiss x Sis, so let’s just forget I said that.

The judo-girl (VA= Chiaki Omigawa) still makes my ears bleed, unfortunately.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Paranoid » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Are Malaysian DVDs as illegal as torrenting? I find this hard to discern (though I've stopped buying them, I admit). I know the quality is less because they compress a lot. But you can buy a DVD of Nichijou for under $20 that way.

I'm no expert on the legality of these things, which I imagine also changes from country to country, but I would think that these are illegal as well. Besides, I'd think that most people who oppose torrenting do so for moral reasons; paying Malaysians to torrent it for you does nothing to address that.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:The judo-girl (VA= Chiaki Omigawa) still makes my ears bleed, unfortunately.

Blasphemy.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 am

I haven't seen SYD yet but even I know Judo-chans voice is a miracle of the universe.

Watched the new DBZ movie Battle of the Gods. I have no idea what Toriyama was smoking when he wrote that but it's definitely from Namek.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Return to “Old Stickies”