What anime are you watching right now? Sep2011-May2012

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Just marathoned the quirky little flash anime Catman, as a "watch it before it's gone" on Crunchy -- it's slice of life anime done right. That means without any cute girls, school, or even cake, but with a whole lot of drinking, swearing, bowling, getting beaten up, and freezing to death on the street. And catchy BGM from the Planet Smashers.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:52 pm

It is not its full name, I guess? The actual meaning would depend a bit on the context, but if it is a standalone kanji the general meaning is "lust".

It's not the full name, there's another kanji in the DB's name (the first half I might add) that translated to "snake" and in regular Japanese it's "hebi". Normally I'd consider getting this name hard, but if I can use cognates to compare kanji and translate various names for monsters of the week from God Mars and Goshogun then this is nothing.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Subs for Katte ni Kaizou 5 are out!
:D

Episode 5 is fantastic and was far better in quality than 3 and 4, which looked kind of full shaft bad.
KK is a must-watch if you liked SZS, so go watch it already.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Watched gundam AGE episodes 9 and 10. Episode 9 was meh to say the best except that the space duck was pretty good to see in action again. Episode 10 was pretty good easily the best episode yet. We got a proper launch sequence and the seeing the sparow (spallow?) In action was cool and how it made quick work of the space duck was pretty cool. Let's hope this week's is as good as episode 10 was.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:57 pm

TDSA presents part 1 of 3 of a special episode of TDSA Takes On X! In this case, I take on Mai-Otome 0: S.ifr! :facepalm: Alright lets get started.

Ep 1 starts off rather awesome with some action on a train heist battle with some suave guy name Bruce rescuing the damsel in distress and title character Sifr (I'll get to her shortly and unwillingly) and the bad guys have this zaku-like dude named Dai assisting them. I actually heard of this scene on another site a few weeks back, but I'm not going into more detail than that other than saying that the first issue of OMAC had little to do with the cover, but I digress. Some Otome show up to assist the rescue including Arika's mother Lena and everyone runs off. Some montage of war machines are shown after the title including a Loto and we are treated to after the first three minutes........... And from this point on s**t starts hitting the fans.

First off, Mai's back, but fortunately she doesn't do much (for now); compared to the new Otome here she's tolerable and that's saying A LOT. Seriously, all they do is chatter and make innuendos (BTW who the hell names a girl Elliot?) with some conspiracy on how the title character has to be killed if caught by the bad guys. And then there's Sifr.

:wellhung:

One episode in and she SINGLE HANDEDLY brings this OVA down. First off that f**king SHRILL of a voice, no wonder the schwarz taped her mouth in the beginning! Even Mint from Mospeada didn't have a voice this overtly annoying as f**k! Next she had this weird lapse in judgment by going over to a nearby balcony from another just to get a cat; only at half way does she realize it's a bad idea (and people being able to look up her skirt doesn't help). Lena (naturally) rescues her in a fit and forces her to take bath (why?) and she's very whiny about it. The most disturbing part of this is that she's Nina's mother and she was actually a decent character. What the hell is this I don't even.

Anyway, around the half way point slaves show up only to get beaten up by more Otome. Dai comes back assisted by two other cyborg schwarz (and one of them looks like a cross between Raiden fom Mortal Kombat and an Acguy). Shortly into the battle Sifr gets caught (gee, what a surprise) and Lena has to fight a cyborg/pink haired version of Miyu named M-9 to the point of having her gem shattered. Then the ending credits roll and I have to admit it's actually not that bad.

Stay tuned for part 2 some time later! And once part 3 is done I will take on part 2 of Nanotrash (aka Nanoha A)! :nono:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:04 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Just marathoned the quirky little flash anime Catman, as a "watch it before it's gone" on Crunchy -- it's slice of life anime done right. That means without any cute girls, school, or even cake, but with a whole lot of drinking, swearing, bowling, getting beaten up, and freezing to death on the street. And catchy BGM from the Planet Smashers.

There's also like zero dialogue in that show.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:20 am

Watched Fate Zero Episode 12. Not much going on until the end, but at least it was better then last weeks episode. Then again almost anything would have been an improvement.

Dialog was wonkie, though. :shrug:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:50 am

Ahahaha this episode had the most awkward fanservice I've ever seen. WTFTomino

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:49 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:There's also like zero dialogue in that show.
IIRC there's like one spoken line; but plenty of subtitles, both narrative "CATMAN drinks" and speech (usually "Fxxk you" or "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit").
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41 am

Gintama´s newest episode was far too crazy for my sides to take.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Watched gundam AGE episode 11. It was a nice character building episode and the montage with the nice soft song was a very nice touch. And it looks like the first generation is going to have two love triangles!? Or maybe I'm reading too much in to Largan's poutey face when he saw woolf and the female bridge bunny having a talk and a mutal blush.......
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Alastor » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Watched Macross Plus last night.

...I'm at a loss of words as how amazing it was. It seriously might be favorite Real Robot anime I've ever seen.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Time for part 2 of TDSA Takes On Mai-Otome 0: S.ifr! :sweat:

Ep 2 starts off with where ep 1 left off except Lena (obviously) survives while having large angel wings like Adam in Evangelion. After that is the thirty second mark and the first three quarters are pretty much three things: 1. Elliot being stupid while the other characters try to find Sifr. 2. Lena being found by Arika's dad, Shiro, and being nursed back to health while some mystery about a mark on her body is present and establishing that BOTH Mai series are canon to each other by the span of centuries. 3. The bad guys revealing Sifr is a princes (why the hell am I not surprised?) and her lineage was hidden from her or at least to the point of where her uncle is really her father and Bruce is her brother or something (oh lord, incest); the bad guys need her for some space immigration project. Although the lack of her shrilling for the most part is gone here it is replaced with Elliot being a dumb lesbian blonde (seriously, how the hell did she loose half her close at a bar without getting drunk?). Miyu makes a cameo and tried to hunt down M-9 because she hunts down her siblings; whether it is in her programming or she wants to act like Omega from the Sonic games they do not say. So in the last quarter comes slaves that look like Goga from Ultra Q attacking the main good guys' battleship while the Otome try to rescue Sifr with Miyu's surprise intervension assistance only to fail. The cliffhanger ends with Lena arriving too late as a shuttle heads into space.

Are they trying to make this a bad version of Garzey's Wing with this? At least that had ties to Dunbine and had dinosaurs, snake creatures, and barbarians. This has........... Goga ripoffs and if you're going to spoof Ultra Q monsters make more ones like Gomess or Bostang or Pegulia; hell, even Juran would be a good one! To add to that most of it had talking that is pretty much bad comedy that kind of reminds me of the dumber moments in Nadesico. If magic girl anime have taught me anything it is these:

1. Women with no powers or weapons in these series are virtually useless and need to appear as little as possible, get decent voice actresses, or shut the hell up (there is an audience for gag fetishists, at least there they are somewhat useful, specifically the point where I can't f**king hear them shrill).

2. Blondes apparently wear black when they're not the main character.

3. Fan service with breasts is an apparent must.

4. The monsters tend to be lame as hell unless they have wings.

I don't know, maybe these "ground breaking" ones seem to be the problem, maybe I need to see a super generic one. Either way, one ep left! :dumbells:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm currently on episode 18 of turn A Gundam.
I think I have an idea for my next avatar
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:38 am

Watched Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing episode 10. It was a freakin' recap. I guess that explains why it took so long for subs to be made. :irked:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:If magic girl anime have taught me anything it is these:
I don't know, maybe these "ground breaking" ones seem to be the problem, maybe I need to see a super generic one.
The great divide in magical girl anime is between the ones aimed at older guys, and the ones that only incidentally appeal to that demographic. From what you've watched this year, (PMMM, Nanoha, Mai-*), you've stuck to the former group.

Perhaps you should try some Pretty Cure which aims at girls in exactly the same way as robot shows always aimed at boys. At least there the fanservice is restricted to the occasional bare midriff. The shrill voices come with the territory, though.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:04 am

Just finished Mobile Suit Gundam. Zeta Gundam is the next one. :)

classified-zerogoki
Lilith

Postby classified-zerogoki » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:11 pm

I am watching Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. I don't hate anyone, but Rena is my favorite.
"CHAAANGE! EVA TRAIN! SWITCH ON!"
-Asuka, After The End Audio Drama
Evangelion is Serious Business.
Kaworu x Asuka OTP!

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Alastor » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Just finished the first episode of Macross Seven to kick off my 'Macrossathon'.

This show's gonna be fun as hell.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:58 pm

^ USO DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
That scene scared me the first time around.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Return to “Old Stickies”