NGE Proposal Questions

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Question:

It's not even a matter of nuance or anything in that particular case, it's just plain inaccurate. Eva-01 'taking in a positron engine that had been recovered from a reconfigured enemy Apostolo' (something like that) is a world of difference from Eva-01 being 'struck by a particular beam transmitted by restructured Angels'.

Wait, so which is it? The proper version is "taking a positron engine that had been recovered from a reconfigured enemy Apostolo"?

So essentially, episodes 13, 14, and 15 would have been a sort of proto-version of what later became the Zeruel fight? The Proposal version of 19 seems like a proto-version of the Arael fight.

In the year 2000 with the outbreak of the “The Dead Sea Evaporation Incident” (the real truth was never revealed), a giant biological weapon, a gigantic artificial man, “Adam,” was discovered by man.

Wait, so in the original version, Second Impact happened *at* the Dead Sea in the Middle East?

If that is the case, it would explain why they have later references to needing to pick up the Lance of Longinus from the Dead Sea; unless there was a Nerv base there or something, those lines may be holdovers from the earlier script.

Wait....they also mention that China AND Australia are building Nerv bases that aren't finished yet.

I thought most countries in the Southern Hemisphere got completely wiped off the map by Second Impact; would this be more confirmation that the original "Second Impact" happened at the Dead Sea?

Do they mention the polar caps melting in Propsal?
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Reichu wrote:
Legendary wrote:Really, First Ancestral Race is kind of unnecessary. Why not just the Ancestral Race? Is there a SECOND Ancestral Race?

At some point there apparently was, but they got the red pen of death before the Proposal phase.
The Second Ancestral Race still gets brought up in Yamashita's "unused ending" discussion. But you knew that.
Twsa'teotu wrote:Wait, so in the original version, Second Impact happened *at* the Dead Sea in the Middle East?
Probably not. In the series they refer to Antarctica as the Dead Sea, though that may have been a retcon like the nonexistence of the Marduk Institute was.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:26 pm

1 - I think you jumped to the conclusion that the Marduk Institution is real in Proposal; it just sounds like they didn't give the "big reveal" about it in Proposal but that doesn't mean its real

2 - ...so how can Australia possibly exist in the NGEverse? -->furthermore, can we even tell if they mean "Dead Sea Evaporation" poetically and are referring to Antarctica....or if they're actually talking about Antarctica?
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:29 pm

NAveryW wrote:The Second Ancestral Race still gets brought up in Yamashita's "unused ending" discussion. But you knew that.

Where might I find this?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Legendary wrote:Where might I find this?

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=5629

NAW wrote:The Second Ancestral Race still gets brought up in Yamashita's "unused ending" discussion. But you knew that.

"Project meeting"; the unused ending scenarios are a whole different thing. Yamashita didn't explicitly refer to a "Second Ancestral Race" in the blurb from Sore o nasumono, either; that term came from the summary of the project meeting on that fansite you found, which didn't provide a source that I could find. (But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.)

Twsa'teotu wrote:Wait, so which is it?

Since the issue is mistranslation, it would be the one that isn't in the version pmkava posted.

Wait, so in the original version, Second Impact happened *at* the Dead Sea in the Middle East?

NAW wrote:Probably not. In the series they refer to Antarctica as the Dead Sea, though that may have been a retcon like the nonexistence of the Marduk Institute was.

IMO Fuyutsuki was being rather transparently figurative and people tend to read way too much into his comment. (Yeah, yeah, NGE fandom and all, but case by case, people...)

Proposal quite explicitly says that Adam was excavated in the "Dead Sea region". Combined with the "Dead Sea Scroll" crap, it should be pretty obvious what part of the globe they're referring to. Also note that they're not going out of their way to be obfuscatory in the Proposal; the prose is rather straightforward for the most part, even if it leaves details out (partially out of necessity). Keep in mind, they're trying to attract sponsors at this point. Perplexing the otaku with a myriad obtuse lines of dialogue will come later.

If that is the case, it would explain why they have later references to needing to pick up the Lance of Longinus from the Dead Sea; unless there was a Nerv base there or something, those lines may be holdovers from the earlier script.

They weren't. In fact, the thing about the Spear of Longinus and the Dead Sea was deliberately added to episode 21 for its video release version (the "director's cut"). To prevent the line from making any obvious sense, though, in the video version of episode 23 they added an image that plainly shows that Adam was discovered impaled on a Spear (in Antarctica, of course).

Anno and friends then proceeded to troll the hell out of the silly otaku by removing this image from the remastered release, but spelling out "Adam was discovered with the Spear" clear as day (and making absolutely no mention of a Spear / Dead Sea association) in the much-hyped Classified Information from the NGE2 game that was put out around the same time. Masayuki, one of the two guys directly below Anno in the Evangelion hierarchy, also got in a few lulz of his own by putting a clean version of the impaled Adam image in a music video included on the 01 TEST-TYPE DVD, a release that existed solely to promote the remastered DVD set.

Okay, kind of off topic. But it felt like a good rant at the time.

Wait....they also mention that China AND Australia are building Nerv bases that aren't finished yet. I thought most countries in the Southern Hemisphere got completely wiped off the map by Second Impact; would this be more confirmation that the original "Second Impact" happened at the Dead Sea?

I made the same "Adam at Dead Sea =/= Antarctic ice cap doesn't get melted" connection when I saw that Australia was still kickin' in this version.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”