Differences between Platinum and Renewal?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Differences between Platinum and Renewal?

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:33 pm

I heard that there are technical differences between Platinum and Renewal, apart from the extras. What exactly are they? I've read somewhere that Renewal has a better video output and is in progressive scan, whereas Platinum is not. Is this true? If it is, it would be in my best interest to import it, wouldn't it?

Note: Could somebody point out the extras that Renewal had and Platinum didn't?
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Snowshadow Falcon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Snowshadow Falcon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Lack of English subtitles? (This is true, right?)
This signature is currently undergoing maintenance...Check back for updates in the near future!

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:38 pm

Renewal had the two Eva documentaries, which Platinum did not. However, since ADV didn't bring them to you, Sand Camel Productions did. :D You just need to get the Eva: Instrumental Extras DVD.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Differences between Platinum and Renewal?

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:26 am

AuthenticM wrote: I've read somewhere that Renewal has a better video output and is in progressive scan, whereas Platinum is not. Is this true?

ISTR that Platinum simply equals Renewal minus the extras. I'm not sure what you mean by "is in progressive scan" though. It's my understanding that as long as your DVD Player/TV supports 480p, pretty much every DVD is in progressive scan.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:32 am

One difference is when you play it on your computer. 480i gets decoded and displayed with interlacing, you don't see it on your TV because everything is displayed that way. If you have a DVD player that supports progressive scans, it converts it to interlaced so that your TV can play it. At least in U.S./Canada.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”