Platinum Edition

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:24 am

Is there anything to make up for it, what special features are there specifically?

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:37 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Is there anything to make up for it, what special features are there specifically?

Theres the animatic for episode 15 (like there was for ep 9 on vol 2), commentary from Tiffany Grant and Matt Greenfield (which I haven't listened to yet), and "That Little Red Head Girl" video where Tiffany Grant shows off all her Asuka and eva merchandise. She even has the Asuka bed sheet! (actually this is pretty cool, although I don't think she likes Rei or Shinji!). All in all, it's better than volume 3 since the episodes are a little stronger dramatically. I'm not dissapointed.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:49 am

houtaru wrote:...and "That Little Red Head Girl" video where Tiffany Grant shows off all her Asuka and eva merchandise. She even has the Asuka bed sheet!

....oh holy fuck no.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:52 am

It's December. Please no April Fools jokes.

:?

I guess I will be hanging on to my Perfect Collection after all. Cool. Instead of being another disposable bitch for ADV, I can buy things I actually need.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:40 am

Yeah, ADV is really killing my bank account. The commentary on volume 4, like all the others, is fairly annoying. I'm not sure why they didn't provide insightful commentary about the episode rather than just talking about themselves for 30 minutes. And am I the only one who's sick of the english commentary voice actors putting poor Shinji down every time he comes on screen? I really hate that.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:42 am

Why can't ADV make a decent product for a change?

Why couldn't it have been done with half a sense of intelligence?

This SHOULD have been the format.

Vol 1: 01-05 (5 episodes)
Vol 2: 06-10 (5 episodes)
Vol 3: 11-14 (4 episodes)
Vol 4: 15-18 (4 episodes)
Vol 5: 19-22 (4 episodes)
Vol 6: 23-26 (4 episodes)
Vol 7: 21'-24' (4 episodes)

And this is what they decided to do instead.

Vol 4: 15-17 (3 episodes)
Vol 5: 18-20 (3 episodes)
Vol 6: 21-23; 21'-23' (6 episodes) What the fuck?
Vol 7: 24-26; 24' (4 episodes)

How is this an intelligent consumer friendly decision? How is this intelligent period? And why in the hell are they catering to immature dub fans? Is it really necessary to put a video of Tiffany Grant showing off all her Evangelion merchandise?

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:49 am

My dear Monkey you are asking questions which defy logical answers--ADV sucks--plain and simple...if they aren't trying to find ways to bend consumers over they are just being incompetent--both with equal probability--and they wonder why people buy bootlegs or stick to fansubs...improve the product and people will be less anguished about forking over their money....just my opinion...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:08 am

Maybe adv thought that no one would by the directors cut after already buying the originals 21-24. I guess they wanted to put the dc with the original episodes rather than put them by themselves. I kinda like that actually, but they should have done it this way:
1: 1,2,3,4 (4ep)
2 5,6,7,8 (4ep)
3 9,10,11,12 (4ep)
4 13,14,15,16 (4ep)
5 17,18,19,20 (4ep)
6 21, 22, 23, 21dc,22dc,23dc (6ep)
7 24, 25,26, 24dc (4ep)

Oh well. adv doesn't do things very professionally. Does anyone know how it was done in Japan?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:42 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:And this is what they decided to do instead.

Vol 4: 15-17 (3 episodes)
Vol 5: 18-20 (3 episodes)
Vol 6: 21-23; 21'-23' (6 episodes) What the fuck?
Vol 7: 24-26; 24' (4 episodes)

wtf is that?are they really thinking to do it like this?i mean this 21-23,21'-23' is ridiculous..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:46 pm

houtaru wrote:Does anyone know how it was done in Japan?

Vol 1: 01-04
Vol 2: 05-08
Vol 3: 09-12
Vol 4: 13-16
Vol 5: 17-20
Vol 6: 21-22; 21'-22'
Vol 7: 23-24; 23'-24'
Vol 8: 25-26
Vol 9/10 NGE The Feature Film: 9 - Death (True^2); 10 - 25' Air, 26' My True Heart

So... there's somewhat strange as well.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:26 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
houtaru wrote:...and "That Little Red Head Girl" video where Tiffany Grant shows off all her Asuka and eva merchandise. She even has the Asuka bed sheet!

....oh holy fuck no.

Okay, even I will admit that sounds retarded. XP ADV, I love you (don't kill me, guys), but... arg. This is lame.
Close your eyes and listen hard

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:23 pm

Don't worry, Monkey. Maybe someday ADV will go belly-up, and you, having made all kinds of mad revenue from... we'll think of something... will get the call to gather a bunch of us and add stuff to the super-hyper-crystal-disc (SHCD) edition of Eva.

I always had my doubts about that live-action movie; now it just looks like a deathwish.
Last edited by Hexon.Arq on Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_get some help

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:29 pm

One day, DVD will be obsolete, and in theory, I shall still be around. And hopefully with notoriety enough to be able to do commentary.

Screw it, I'm just going to organize the audio commentary I was working on before and offer it free online.
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:30 pm

If enough people are pissed about this, then maybe you have hope yet for Seven? Perhaps?

I just realized something: the entire First Season of Seinfeld is contained in a box no bigger tha any others on my shelf. Why are we being played like this? And old question, but valid to my lack of experience.

_get some help

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:36 pm

Why are we being played like this? Because we will whine and complain, yet we will still buy the dvds. :wink:
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:05 am

Your knowing-yet-willing wink disheartens me greatly, Dave. Seriously. You will still buy the DVDs.

This kind of backhanded treachery can't possibly be unknowingly perpetrated. You don't suppose this could all be payback for certain sentiments, do you? Are they finally through with the Eva fanbase? Have we become nothing more than a idealogical hinderance to their pursuits with the license that just happens to have the obsession and deep pockets to satisfy it, both of which are ready to be abandoned? HAVING MILKED US, ARE THEY TRYING TO SHAKE US OFF? It may seem farfetched, but it's the only rationalization I can bring myself to. (How can something like Excel Saga [which is great, BTW, but is decidedly not Eva] be released in a set that, as a collection, beats the shit out of the "definitive" Evangelion?)

There has to be a reason for this, and I don't think it's as simple as greed, stupidity or laziness. Even the greedy make some effort to justify their plundering in the eyes of the consumer. I mean, Platinum doesn't even have Spanish and French language tracks! What's the reason for the absence of those? This is a barebones rerelease of a remaster, coupled with haphazard division and, well, goofy shit. I'm not convinced that anyone could be that careless; they know how to push our buttons by now, and in light of the general reception (there are exceptions) of their past and future dealings with Eva, they may very well have the proper motivation to do so.

Let's face it: we as a community have to potential to be quite problematic. They know this. This may be related to that.

Oh, and by "played," I was referring to anime on DVD in general. Why should we pay close to $200 for six or seven DVDs containing shows that could easily be crammed onto four discs or less? I've never understood that. They fit entire seasons of American TV into teeny-tiny little DVD boxes, yet we have to buy these gaudy cardboard canisters for an unnecessary surplus of probable free space. Why? If the only answer is "because they can," then I think willing and desparate anime consumers have more reason to be loathed than the people who drain them of their dollar.

_get some help

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:19 pm

well today they arrived the Eva-dvds and when i put it on my ps2 the screen just said "this disc cannot be played due to regional restrictions"..
isn't there any other options except "hacking dvd"?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:08 pm

umm other then moding you ps2 i don't think so seventh mabe you should look at getting a dvd for your comp I like that better then using my ps2
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:50 pm

oh i found this
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005YTDD.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
and i ordered it right away..hope it will do some work..

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:21 pm

Good find Seventh. Out of curiosity how much was it, I may have a use for one of those.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”