Renewal of Evangelion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
EVA Does It Best
Embryo

Renewal of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby EVA Does It Best » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:04 pm

it was released in 2003, it contained the renewal episodes + renewal movies and documentaries, i was just wondering if anybody had it, because i think it really is the ultimate dvd collection of the series. Since you can't buy it anymore i checked out yahoo auction Japan, and found one copy of it, and holy shit it was going for at least 60,000 yen or round $511. it looks so cool.

so does anyone own this?

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:14 pm

It really does sound good...I dont have it, but i'd like to have it lol..

Can you post a pic of it please?

Oh and isn't Platinum the same as Renewal but just a different name for North America?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:32 pm

Renewal was first released in June 2003, in some limited edition thing, then it was rereleased as 11 DVDs (could be wrong). I don't think there was anything different between the 2 release dates.

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:00 pm

But in terms of quality and sound, its not better or worse (simply put: no different) than platinum?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:26 pm

Have we really not had a thread specifically addressing Renewal of Evangelion?

Holy Shnikes.

The Eva Monkey wrote:The Renewal Project was a thorough remastering of the Evangelion series by studio Gainax. The footage was greatly improved and much of the frame jitter which was a complaint of many fans in the past has been alleviated. The audio has been remastered and mixed into 5.1 surround sound. The Renewal set consists of the 26 episode series, the 4 New Production Cuts, Death True^2, and The End of Evangelion. The content of the series is largely the same. There are some minor differences, namely that of additional dialog, BGM changes, and some slight differences in scene editing. It was initially released as a limited edition set in June 2003, and was later released in 11 separate DVD volumes. The Renewal of Evangelion is Japan only.

I also suggest reading the Platinum booklets transcripted on the site. They are pretty much straight translations of booklets from the Renewal release. They contain plenty of useful information regarding the Renewal process.

In particularly this one:

http://www.evamonkey.com/platinum_vol4_introduction.htm

Some assorted images of the set:

http://www.evamonkey.com/renewal/

EVA Does It Best wrote:so does anyone own this?

This is one of those things that I wish I had, but would never actually pay money for. It is just too expensive. Much like the Evangelion edition iPod, I would question your sanity if you actually purchased one of these sets.

giuliano
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby giuliano » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:53 am

i remember that set, always thought it looked amazing and i'd had wanted to get it, but couldn't figure out if it had english language and subs - i also liked the second impact three boxsets which included the whole series + movies + the game and had new (at the time) sadamoto artwork on

anyway, i'm happy with my platinum collection, don't think theres any real difference or any better versions out yet - until Blu-Ray or HD-DVD get started
It's GENDO~

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:37 am

I think there's just the interlacing on the Platinum series. And that's only a pain if you're trying to use it for AMVs.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:21 pm

The interlacing is very hard on my eyes; I wish there were a way to get rid of it.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:11 pm

I get that with a lot of DVDs with animation. I get rid of them by making HQ rips into H264 or XVid using mencoder. It will get rid of any interlacing and use variable framerates by detecting duplicate frames. I have a video server connected to 2 TVs here with a terrabyte of disc space and I rip all my DVDs onto it so I can play them from a shell on my laptop, instead of getting out of my chair, putting a DVD in, and using a DVD menu.

EVA Does It Best
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EVA Does It Best » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:42 pm

thanks for the pics eva monkey, just wondering how much it orignally sold for, if it was so expensive?

the3rdchildren
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the3rdchildren » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:48 pm

I have the Renewal box. I got it on release from Japan.

A quick, TRUTHFUL, summary awaits those whose eyes look below:

It is complete GAiNAX cash-in rubbish. Here are just a few reasons why:

-The red plastic is tacky and scratches easy, as well as attract fingerprints like light attracts moths.

-It is the single most inconvenient DVD boxed set I have ever come across. The struggle to just get a disc out is nothing small.

-Disc holders are loose and tacky, the tape (yes, tape) that holds the lower "booklet of holders" is coming away.

I'll add that none of these things are of my own fault. I take immense care of my stuff, but the Evangelion renewal box is just awful. I have nothing but regret for purchasing it. The single releases are far better, don't look for this set unless you're looking for expensive disappointment. Maybe the rarity is a reason to own it... I dunno. I dunno anything, as I was clearly stupid enough to waste money on the Renewal box.

[edit]

With regards to price, the sticker on the front of the box reads 39,800 yen which is about $340. Thinking back, it cost me about £250 including a customs hit. Might have been closer to £300. I try not to think about it because every time I lend thought to this set I just end up hating it more.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:54 am

So it was something that truly was too good to be true. Thanks for the heads up warning.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

EVA Does It Best
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EVA Does It Best » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:57 am

thanks again 3rd children, sucks because it looked so awesome and so greatly packaged. Hopefully ADV or Gainax makes a better bundle when they re re release for the "rebuild" movies :lol:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”