What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:00 am

Mawaru-Penguindrum

I wrote earlier that I found this slow to get going; intriguing, but increasingly (at that point) repetitive. It changed on the very next episode I watched, and now (I've just watched ep 13) it's ramping up the awesomeness another notch with every episode. At the same time a lot more Utena-style vibes have appeared, which is no bad thing. Actually, I had similar pacing issues with the earlier parts of Utena, which do get a repetitive feel, especially when it all goes round again in the Black Rose arc. But Utena rose above that, and clearly Penguindrum is doing so as well. I'm really keen to get on with it! (Still not sure about the penguins, though.)

Terror in Resonance

I dismissed this as uninteresting after just one episode; but then I thought that as I even gave Free! two chances before dropping it I should at least do as much for this. Nope; still nothing to make me want to go on.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:04 am

Finally a MC I can get behind.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Victory Gundam 38:

lol what the fuck

Tomino's wild ride :hahaha:

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Do avatars of mechs count? if so I take offense to that. we pirates have standards! :pirate:

How are we liking G Reco so far?

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, it's something. I don't know what to make of it, honestly; first we have mecha vs. dragons (which was done pretty well), then some bizarre fantasy society, then the creepy norma business, then the end . . . any one alone would be alright, but they're all mish-mashed together and it feels weird.

I dunno. Now that the setup's in place it might strike a consistent tone and find its legs, but we'll have to see what happens. I mean, it's obvious she's going to be tearing down that society, but does that mean she'll be joining up with the dragons or fighting them in a new way?

This is made by Fukuda, the man behind crimes against humanity such as SEED and SEED Destiny. I expect nothing else than a train that was never on the rails to begin with.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:06 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:(Still not sure about the penguins, though.)

There are no big surprises or twists left in store so I may as well reveal their purpose. In case you still want to think about it on your own and read my take later, I will hide it inside this spoiler.
SPOILER: Show
The penguins reflect the characters they are linked to. Ikuhara seems to be interested in the sub-conscious of his characters and he uses the penguins to explore that for humor. The one following Kanba is always horny for women, reflecting how Kanba is a playboy. Shoma's penguin is very neurotic and is constantly cleaning or killing bugs, just like Shoma is concerned about lots of things to the point of neurosis. As for Himari, her penguin is quite petty (furthermore it has that ribbon). While it isn't that obvious, Himari can occasionally be quite petty and spoiled.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:04 am

Gundam G no Reconguista eps. 1-2

Getting the chance to see a Gundam series with more traditional feeling 2D animation with how it flows from the character designs to the mobile suits is very nice. One moment that was uncalled for was the kick in the ribs to a female character in the first episode and I don't care whether you're male or female in real life, that doesn't make it right even if you're being provoked into doing it.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:18 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:How are we liking G Reco so far?

I am enjoying it. Being set so far out of Universal century is a bit refreshing. And I have to say I really like the design on those pirate grunt suits
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:37 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote: I really like the design on those pirate grunt suits
agree 100%. I love how this show looks.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:00 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:
Finally a MC I can get behind.

Dude was fucking baller.

So far this season:

Dog Horizon S2:

Was just as enjoyable as I remembering, and the OP still got me just as #HYP even though it's the same song. That opening sequence was great and when Shiroe hinted at his plans I literally got an erection. Ending was WTF though. Only big downside was some noticable QUALITY.

Rating: DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN/10

F/SN:

Being a filthy secondary, this is my first full dive into the glorious realm of Merri's waifu (RIPIP), but just from reading shit on /a/ I'm kind of familiar with the gist of the story. I'm a little disappointed the reveal of Archers identity won't be a surprise, but I think the pleasure of seeing the story play out should be enough. Also holy fuck that fight. I'm officially #HYP.

Rating: Unlimited/10

Attack on Final Fantasy 14:

Wasn't really as remarkable as I'd hoped but sure wasn't boring. Here's hoping it can do something to pull me in otherwise I'm afraid I might drop it just out of sheer lack of time. Also those whores were ugly.

Rating: 6/10
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Pray hard. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:51 am

Majestic Prince Episode 1-3

I heard that this show had the same character designer as Gundam Seed, but I didn't know that this feature "what if Gundam Seed, gave into more animesms?" It's just... surreal, I'm not sure how to take it yet. I did think GS itself needed more levity, but this...

:cringe:

I'm still waiting for the part where they reveal the real pilots for the mecha and their backups were all conveniently being transported on the same shuttle, and suffered a catastrophic engine failure that sent them straight into a Maw.

That, or they ate some bad sushi come launch time.

I was a bit perplexed why the characters seemed to act so familiar with one another, less like classmates, more as nigh-siblings, then I saw...

So wait wait wait, you're telling me that this:

Is your....?

... Well, better hope to high heaven that he's a lucky bastard. :lol:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:06 am

Nisekoi OVA Ep. 1
This episode had more character development than the entire first season.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:03 pm

So yesterday I succumbed to dirty pastime of anime watching for first time in months because this season had couple of titles I absolutely had to see.

Fate Stay Night UBW ep 00
was holyfuckingshit tier perfect adaptation of the VN. If show stays this good throughout we get great story distilled free from awful Nasu prose and jackhammerin' sex. Ufotable's technical credentials are as impeccable as always to boot. Almost certainly AOTY

Really impressive.

Return of Tomino

Top lel what the fuck. I really like this shit and seeing Tomino's idiosyncratic storytelling style in action once again made me feel all fuzzy and nostalgic. Pretty good yarn so far though the sheer chaoticness of abrupt storytelling and trademark Tomino dialogue honestly confused me at some places a lot. I had to rewatch some scenes of the first episode in particular because all the capitalguardcapitalarmyameriakhulanaUNDERNUTSwhatthefuck had my head spinning in some places due to rapid pace of le infodump.

OP and ED are lame, where is animation? This shit better be placeholder. :|

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Gundam G no Reconguista eps. 1-2

Getting the chance to see a Gundam series with more traditional feeling 2D animation with how it flows from the character designs to the mobile suits is very nice.

Uhhh, only noteworthy Gundam stuff not done traditionally would be IGLOO I think. AGE and Build Fighters were just as traditionally animated as this.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:12 pm

So this is what happens when you fap too much - your hand turns into Aya Hirano.

Reminds me a lot of The Thing. Pretty awesome apart from the terrible dubstep.

Geez, t-there is too much shit for me to watch this season

so far I checked out

G Reco
Ulimited Blade Works
Cross Ange
Shingeki no Bahamut
Build Fighters Try
Parasyte
Chaika S2

and I liked them all. Doushio!

This is seriously throwing a wrench into my plans on working on my backlog and re-watching some other shows.

I really have to consider putting something on hold. Cross Ange seems obvious although I kind of dig the set-up and I need something to laugh at. Chaika I will likely marathon like I did with the first season but the rest is almost too good to pass up.

View Original PostXard wrote:So yesterday I succumbed to dirty pastime of anime watching for first time in months because this season had couple of titles I absolutely had to see.

Fate Stay Night UBW ep 00
was holyfuckingshit tier perfect adaptation of the VN. If show stays this good throughout we get great story distilled free from awful Nasu prose and jackhammerin' sex. Ufotable's technical credentials are as impeccable as always to boot. Almost certainly AOTY

Really impressive.

Return of Tomino

Top lel what the fuck. I really like this shit and seeing Tomino's idiosyncratic storytelling style in action once again made me feel all fuzzy and nostalgic. Pretty good yarn so far though the sheer chaoticness of abrupt storytelling and trademark Tomino dialogue honestly confused me at some places a lot. I had to rewatch some scenes of the first episode in particular because all the capitalguardcapitalarmyameriakhulanaUNDERNUTSwhatthefuck had my head spinning in some places due to rapid pace of le infodump.

OP and ED are lame, where is animation? This shit better be placeholder. :|

Aren't you a Rinfag? Boy, boy, boy, that ZR and pleasant tsun (not annoying kind of) makes for a good combo. I really like her already but THAT GERMAN, pls.

Ahh, this whole Fate thing, it's everywhere now, it's inescapable, and I gotta say, watching the prologue with /a/ was an experience. REJOICE and RED MAN spam aside I haven't had that much fun since Kill la Kill and the anime itself was extremely good too that I can't help being hooked for more. I even played the VN a bit again (surprised they have all the same voices). Yeah, powerlevel waifu wars here I come :facepalm:

G Reco is funny reading people's reaction. It's like a litmus test or something. You can clearly tell who is familiar with Tomino's works and who isn't.

And aww, how can you not get genki for the genki ED!

Japan is making parodies of it already

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:51 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Chaika S2

I forgot this was coming back, one more thing to squeeze into my schedule.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:39 pm

The Unlimited Blade Works adaptation does seem to be off to a great start. Watched the prologue with wife and even she's interested.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:34 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Fate Stay Night UBW ep 00 was holyfuckingshit tier perfect adaptation of the VN. If show stays this good throughout we get great story distilled free from awful Nasu prose and jackhammerin' sex. Ufotable's technical credentials are as impeccable as always to boot. Almost certainly AOTY

Well now. I've never given Fate/Stay Night the time of day, because I've never seen what's supposed to be appealing about it. But this is some high praise indeed, and your recommendations have steered me well so far. (And even the stuff you hate that I've seen, I've enjoyed, so it's like everything you mention turns at least to bronze if not gold.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:48 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:

I've heard of this, never thought they'd actually get around to adapting it.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:57 pm

I watched the Fate/Stay Night episode with no previous experience with the franchise, and I did enjoy it. However, I wonder if any further enjoyment will be limited because of that inexperience. I remember reading the comments for the episode on Crunchyroll and I didn't understand half of what they were talking about. And some of Xard's comments don't help my concern at all.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:59 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Uhhh, only noteworthy Gundam stuff not done traditionally would be IGLOO I think. AGE and Build Fighters were just as traditionally animated as this.

Did I say "traditional"? I meant to say more along the lines of nostalgia for the 70s/80s Gundam titles as far as animation is concerned. :tongue:

Madan no ou to Vanadis episode 1 - I gotta admit I watched this mostly to hear Sakura Trick seiyuus Haruka Tomatsu and Yuka Iguchi again but the premise is also noteworthy.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:08 am

Shit. After a dull summer there might be a lot to watch this season. Gonna have to check some shit out.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:10 pm

So I started rewatching Transformers: The Headmasters, I wanted to watch it in the (hilarious) dub this time, but I can only find like two episodes of the dub online in glorious English.

My library even has it on DVD but the North American DVDs don't have the dub.

Darn it!

But anyways, I watched the first three episodes last night and I still don't like them. They're pretty dull.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:40 pm

More shows that finished up recently:

Nobunaga Concerto, a really fun show and an interesting premise. The fact that there are others from the future adds a layer of intrigue but the show was too short to get into that. There's also an OVA but I hope they make another season.

New Strange+, worse than the first season, gags just never seemed that funny. At least the episodes were short.

Rail Wars, ham fisted premise, and really just never got off the ground.

Yamishibai 2, the first season was pretty good, but only a few episodes this time around seemed well written. Most of the stories were just kind of dumb.

Magica Wars, not bad for a short running show. I liked the art designs and the story was ok.

Baby Steps, had to compete with awesome sport shows like Ace of Diamond and Haikyu, so this was definitely the weaker of them. There was also too much of the old shounen story telling device of the 2 spectators flat out explaining what's going on (to the audience) while the MC is in a battle (tennis match) which kind of got old, especially if you didn't need to have anything explained in the first place. There was also very little drama aside from the almost romantic interest that was awkwardly written.

Space Dandy, pretty much consensus here, really strong 2nd half of the show, lots of gems of episodes, at worst an episode is just "entertaining".

Tokyo Ghoul, a surprisingly good show. The premise isn't anything that new and some of the writing is a little hokey, but the characters are pretty well written for the most part. Though, the antagonist of the other district seemed kind of overboard.

Return to “Old Stickies”