What do you think Evangelion's message was?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Essentially, the message is that Hideaki Anno read the Bible, a little Sigmund Freud, and wanted to incorporate them into a mecha anime. Then he got depressed and decided to screw over royally all the characters who were begining to develop caring and loving bonds with each other, thus pissing off the audience and giving people a forum like this to bitch about it.

But in all honesty, Eva is what you personally, the viewer, can take out of it. The only real message that you can get from it comes from yourself. I suppose that to an extent, is saying that Evangelion is basically a big opportunity for fanwank, but I figure I'll stand by it.

EoE at least, offers no concrete "message" in the sense that I think you are trying to figure out. This is probably one of the most redeeming qualities of Evangelion, and other Japanese cinematic works. They are un-Hollywood in the way that they require the viewer to not only make an emotional investment, but an intellectual investment as well.

The message in the EoE intertitle sums it up pretty well, too: "Love is Destructive."
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I merged the message threads, although now I'm regretting it slightly as one was about the message of Evangelion, and the other about the message of End of Evangelion. Still, they are considerably interrelated.

Regarding the End of Evangelion, the message is obfuscated by the apocalyptic proceedings, but is nonetheless present and indeed concrete; Don't kill yourself. EoE is a argument against suicide and/or isolation, as is the series in general. See here for some discussion on the notion of EoE being an allegory for suicide.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:regarding the End of Evangelion, the message is obfuscated by the apocalyptic proceedings, but is nonetheless present and indeed concrete; Don't kill yourself.

I'm inclined to agree, considering that Anno quote, but I think it would be an oversimplification if one was to say that was the main message/theme of the entire film. It struck me as a film that intended to provoke thought rather than a film strictly of a moralizing nature. Perhaps I just haven't got over the existential nature of the film yet.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Have any of us really gotten over EoE yet?

Evangelion is a many layered work, and it's often difficult to find its messages and meanings amidst all the mystery and confusion. There is also the stated objective of the director to force viewers to provide their own answers to the questions posed in the show.

Evangelion is like a giant jigsaw puzzle, with pieces scattered all across the episodes. Slowly, post by post, we try to put them all together. But there will always be missing pieces we have to fill in ourselves.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:31 pm

eloquently said.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:54 am

The message, or at least one of the messages, was where there is life, there is hope. But that seems deceptively simple, so I'm not entirely sure.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:42 am

message ? if there was any the only i got was, screw everything, this worse is shit, and hopeless, i want you all to die, and i should die too.

lose faith all wich is born !!
ANATA BAKA !?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Can we get rid of this asshole already? He does nothing but troll.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:25 pm

After seeing episodes 25 and 26, the main message I picked up was the one that was actually said by the characters to Shinji, that being: reality is not bad just because your narrow personal reality makes you unhappy because of the upbeat alternate reality that is possible. Or, you make your own world and meanings so don't blame some intrinsic negativity for your unhappiness.

This idea moved me quite a bit but, I never really felt like that was necessarily the message of the series.

ObsessiveMathsFreak's conclusion about EoE as representing Shinji's suicide and rejection thereof feels much more "overarching" in terms of NGE being a single unit with one theme.

As with all works of art, science, there is study at different levels. Each episode has an individual theme (e.g. episode 10: thermal expansion!) as does each block of episode as does the single piece of continuous film that is created by editing all the episodes and films together.

Personally: Live. Because it is our only chance to possibly be happy. And the struggle is worth something even if you never really are happy trying.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What do you think Evangelion's message was?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:03 am

CyberXIII wrote:What do you think that Evangelion's message is

Win a free trip to Tahiti.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:06 am

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:33 pm

evangelion had many themes and messages. it had the theme of a boy becoming a man, hope after the end, the current neglect for human life, the consequences of playing god, and many more. its like pringles, you can't have just one.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

unholyagent
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby unholyagent » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:36 am

Hope, an emotionally screwed up 14 year old kid becomes god and realizes that if you don't let anyone close to you, life isn't worth living.
God is in his heaven
All is right with the world

Avatar: Rei + MP5 + Maid's Outfit = Deadly Combo
Blender:the best free 3d animation software
http://www.blender.org/

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:46 am

A loser becomes special.

unholyagent
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby unholyagent » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:03 am

Don't give 14 year old kids giant alien robots which have the power to destroy the world
God is in his heaven
All is right with the world

Avatar: Rei + MP5 + Maid's Outfit = Deadly Combo
Blender:the best free 3d animation software
http://www.blender.org/

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:16 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:A loser becomes special.

Perhaps it could be better said as "even a loser can become special" even though mine is nowhere near as pithy.

Nice job on the Klaymen avatar too. :thumbsup:
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:24 pm

View Original PostSharaz Destler wrote:Klaymen.

More badass than Shinji.

Archon_Wing
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon_Wing » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:37 pm

Life sucks. And then you turn into Tang.

But really, it seems to be no matter how down you are, you must keep living because you can underestimate what you are capable of.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 am

Haven't seen the show in a long while but I remeber thinking it didn't just have one meaning and that it was a positive ending albiet tragic. I think the message was that all those negative thoughts depress people get where kinda self made and not true . That there is always a chance at happyiness. Also to take care of yourself and learning to let people love you and learn to love them. Also that life was worth living and whole butch of other stuff,etc
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”