Plugsuits and LCL Mechanics

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:22 pm

Well, It seems almost everyone's agreed that the plugsuit provides certain life support functions.

Also, in the episode when Shinji's been absorbed by that shadowy, sphere shaped angel (I forgot its name, please don't eat me and sell my bones for beer money),

Shinji checks his plugsuit's arm which has a battery life indicator and what could possibly be a clock.

I'd say a plugsuit is really not much more than a spiffy wetsuit with some integral features. Almost everyone at NERV has some kind of uniform, why not the kids? They've got the right to look spiffy when they're fighting angels, right?

What I'd like to know is what are plugsuits made out of? Is it rubber? Latex? PVC? Plastic? Concentrated super flexible fibreglass?

Oh, and do they chaif at all? They're skintight and kinda rubbery...I think they'd chaif. =_=;;
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:45 pm

Probably latex. The gloves might have some lining in them, but it's pretty hard to suck the air out of a wetsuit underlining without having all kinds of lumps.

I tend to think of the "life support functions of the suit" Shinji mentions as just technical jargon thrown in. What can it possibly do that wouldn't be done externally? Heating? Why? LCL is warm, isn't it?

I want to know what Shinji actually says in that scene. Is he reffering to the suit specifically, or does he just talk about life support in general, which the suit might be gauging electronically in the even of panel failure?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:54 pm

er...i was aware that a molecular change would be a chemical change, affecting the structure of the molecule, so i guess LCD screens would not be chemical changes, i need to re-read my chem...lol
and the plug suits are probably made of some kind of rubber (like latex? who knows) but they are thicker than some might think.. and also, i think the support functions are in the suit, hence the little "backpack" area of the suit

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:44 am

:roll: Why didn't I think to look in the Red Cross book? To answer the original question once and for all:
Red Cross Book wrote:It has the effect of raising the synch-rate and protecting the body etc.

Yes, it helps to synchronise better.
I would also think that life support functions would go with it.
I can't comment on the material of the plug suit.
I don't know about the LCL, but I think it would be liquid.
In the manga, the plugsuit definitely has a clock. :)
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:13 am

Reichu wrote:although, unless I'm mistaken, a change in molecular arrangement IS what happens when a liquid becomes a gas, or vice versa.

The difference between Liquids, Gases, and Solids is Density. It has nothing to do with Arrangement. An example of "arrangement" being an issue can be seen in oils and such where the chemical formula between compounds is the same, but arrangement is different, and the properties of the substance are different as well.

However in some instances arrangement plays a factor in solids/gases/liquids. Water forms a crystal structure, hence why Ice is less dense than water.

Changing the arrangement of the substance can alter its properties that govern what state it is in. For instance, there are elements that are gases in normal state but when combined are liquid. For example, water. Water is composed of Hydrogen and Oxygen, two gases.

I however still find this theory a bit perposterous. I prefer to believe that the change in arrangement makes the LCL perfectly transparent. There's no concrete evidence to suggest the LCL becomes gaseous.

Let me ask you Rachel, out of curiousity, was the fact that the pilots could speak in the LCL after it was charged one of the pushing points of the LCL Gas Theory?

Tabris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabris » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:19 am

I guess the fact pilots can speak in the plugs greatly supports the LCL state-change theory. That, and a well-known picture of Shinji (during the episode featuring Sahaquiel, I think) with what appears to be drops of sweat (not air bubbles) falling off his face as he's shouting (I know you could argue they're visible because they may be a different density to LCL, but...)

I'd rather not endorse a gas or state-change theory, since I suspect liquid LCL would provide better protection from vibration/physical injury for the pilots, and a means of feeding them oxygen without the need for compressed gas containers, and then there's the whole 'entry plug/womb' association... but the fact pilots can speak puts a damper on it and reminds me not to get too hot and bothered about an obvious plot requirement.

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:01 am

It is safe to say that LCL does not become gasious. Note that when Shiji is getting blasted by Ramiel the LCL is boiling. Gasses do not boil. Besides which, part of the reason why Link Connect Liquid would work is because it would act as a more effective medium for the transmittal of brain waves. Most gasses insulate, whereas a liquid would act as a conductor.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:19 am

This should get its own topic.

I suppose LCL would have to be lighter than water, as Rei's tear drops did fall downwards. And I suppose water and LCL won't mix. It's reminding me of olive oil. So I guess LCL will have to be not very dense. It also makes sense, that way, since the pilots may have to move around in the entry plug quickly, and too much friction, like water, would make them slow, and it also irritates the eyes more.
The thing that makes me think it doesn't turn into gas is that no one every said it did, and there isn't any extra room for the liquid to expand to.
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:28 am

mind you,usually turning something into a gas involves vaporization, so it might get pretty toasty
and since LCL is a mystery fluid, we can only guess at what it is made of. i agree with MAGI that it is probably like oil, and must be non-polar (like oil) so that water wouldnt mix with it. i believe the clarity in the entry plug has to do with the syncronization process...the visual feed begins coming in, and since the pilot is linked with the eva, they see what the eva sees?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:51 pm

I've had a very difficult time trying to accept this idea, specifically for the fact that its never expressly stated. Granted a lot of things in Evangelion are ambigous or loosely defined, but I think its extremely near-sighted of them to have left something like this undefined.

Speech has no bearing on LCL, as we see the pilots capable of speech in the LCL whether electrically charged or not. Two instances come to mind, Episode 13, after the pilots have been ejected from their Evas, and secondly, when Shinji is swallowed by Leliel in episode 16. He very clearly is in the yellow "liquid" LCL.

Characters being able to sweat and cry in anime is a way to convey emotion. When a character has a sweat drop, or more than one sweat drop, it is often to convey nervousness, or stress. They really aren't sweating that profusely, its merely the animators conveying their frantic, confused, or embarassed state.

As for being able to cry in LCL, I would either chalk it up as a production oversight, or another case of animators choosing to defy the laws of physics for effect. Seriously, how often does anime conform to the laws of physics. I'll make a list of physics bloopers in Eva if you like.

If you acknowledge that pilots can speak in LCL, charged or not, and acknowledge that the sweat drops and tears are more there to convey emotional state than anything else, there's really not much grounds for the LCL density change theory.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:39 pm

I hadn't realized that there were any physics laws pertaining to LCL that Eva could break. :?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:34 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Let me ask you Rachel, out of curiousity, was the fact that the pilots could speak in the LCL after it was charged one of the pushing points of the LCL Gas Theory?

No, it wasn't. Kind of hard to forget Shinji and his "Uh... Kimochi warui" from episode #01.

Most of you have been raising points that were brought up in the threads I posted earlier. Is it really that hard to read the original threads before you say, "omg this theory sucks because..."?

Clearly, SOMEthing happens to the LCL, as the script says it "becomes clear with the electrification". Some sort of change occurs: Its molecular arrangement is altered and it loses its amber color. Perhaps as we continue to translate the scripts, there may be more explicit statements about the issue.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:42 pm

Maybe whatever produces the onscreen images emits some kind of funky lighting that balances out the tint. Or maybe PPPPTTTTTHHHHHP...

_get some help

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:04 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Or maybe PPPPTTTTTHHHHHP...

You know, I never considered that possibility. You have a good point.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:11 pm

The opponents of the, "LCL becomes gaseous," theory should watch ep. 5 again. During Unit 00's restart test, you see no bubbles during any of Rei's dialog, but when the test ends and the EVA powers down, the LCL turns orange again, and her sigh of relief makes bubbles. You see bubbles in the LCL only when it is orange, never when it is clear. Ramiel's beam causes the LCL to turn orange again before it boils.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:16 pm

thewayneiac wrote:You see bubbles in the LCL only when it is orange, never when it is clear. Ramiel's beam causes the LCL to turn orange again before it boils.

The "shock bubbles" from #25'? The LCL was awfully clear then.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:25 pm

edited: i am sorry...
i understand what you said about the color, but i think that vaporizing something wouldnt do much good, as i previously stated, and also, as others have stated, that the gas wouldnt offer much protection
Last edited by sadsadshinji on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:32 pm

It boiled because it wasn't a gas at the time.

Read the original thread. Please.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:06 pm

The "shock bubbles" from #25'? The LCL was awfully clear then.

Let's not forget Hard Boiling Shinji in #5.

Color has nothing to do with property. It is simply an artistic liberty taken when it becomes too obvious that putting bubbles in a clear environment would give it the appearance of water.

_get some help

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:39 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Let's not forget Hard Boiling Shinji in #5.

The LCL was yellow there.

Color has nothing to do with property.

With LCL, it apparently does. It's yellow when it's "obviously" a liquid, and it becomes clear when it is electrified and "changes its molecular arrangement", possibly on a phasic level, as has been considered.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”