Gendo's feelings (or lack thereof)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:11 pm

shinesman_cobalt wrote:
DatDude wrote:Ok I understand gendo did what he did out of fear of being hurt emotionally.

I however can't forgive his actions the way I can Shinji or Asuka. I choose to judge a 48 year old husband and father more stringently then a 14 year old.
We aren't supposed to forgive him.

Nope we are supposed to make up our own minds :)
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:38 pm

and isn't that the ultimate point of Evangelion :?:

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:43 pm

depends on who you ask
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:59 pm

true

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:04 pm

shinesman_cobalt wrote:
DatDude wrote:Ok I understand gendo did what he did out of fear of being hurt emotionally.

I however can't forgive his actions the way I can Shinji or Asuka. I choose to judge a 48 year old husband and father more stringently then a 14 year old.
We aren't supposed to forgive him.

I dont know about that, I still feel sorry for Gendo. He's pretty evil at least by my standards, and pretty evil by my standards is REALLY evil by most, but I feel that he's more a character of pity than hate.
The fate of distruction is also the joy of rebirth.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:46 am

Bumped up...

Gendo normally does not show his feelings, but he might and can do so in situations that are outside the status quo. For instance, Rei being seriously hurt during Eva-00's sudden berserk incident, and an Angel choosing to invade right when the power is out. And, of course, congratulating Shinji after the defeat of Sahaquiel.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

M. Magdalene
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby M. Magdalene » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:33 am

I just realized there's a parallel between Gendo losing Yui and Shinji losing Kaworu.

Now, the certainty of a sexual relationship or even a romantic relationship between Shinji and Kaworu is in question. But like how Yui treated Gendo, Kaworu was the only one to show Shinji kindness and perhaps give him hope. When Gendo lost Yui, he gave up all hope for making real connections with people. And just after Shinji loses Kaworu, 3I begins, and he nearly sentences everyone to Instrumentality.

I wonder if that's a parallel too. Shinji's accepting of instrumentality and Gendo's rejection of human ties and trust.
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad-"
"How do you know I'm mad?"
"You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here."

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:45 am

That doesn't seem too much like it...the poor kid had had enough to go about with by that time.

And it is KA-WO-RU, not Kaworu!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:27 am

Hailtheplatypus wrote: I feel that he's more a character of pity than hate.
Same could be said for all of the characters.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

M. Magdalene
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby M. Magdalene » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Excuse me. I'm a terrible speller. Please don't hold that against me.

And I don't think it's so far fetched.
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad-"
"How do you know I'm mad?"
"You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here."

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”