What Now in terms of Children 2 & 3...Post-3I thoughts!

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:55 am

The big hit to sea levels would be melting Antarctica (200 ft, but then subtract however much of the continental mass was also removed) in 2I, as we are shown. Greenland would add an extra 20ft.

But then with all the funky transhuman techno-magickal stuff that had been going down in the rest of 26', I was reading the end as two damned souls trapped alone in the anti-Eden in their post-resurrection perfected bodies, forged from will alone, where mundane issues of sustenance were moot.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:27 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:But then with all the funky transhuman techno-magickal stuff that had been going down in the rest of 26', I was reading the end as two damned souls trapped alone in the anti-Eden in their post-resurrection perfected bodies, forged from will alone, where mundane issues of sustenance were moot.

That legitimately confuses me more. Why call it an extinction event if you don't think it will affect them at all? Trying to trigger people or something?
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Think of all the other species.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:25 pm

*looks around today* Humans are notoriously good at that aren't they. How many of them, aside from all those damn cicadas, would still be alive after 2I anyways? The world may never know.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:52 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The big hit to sea levels would be melting Antarctica (200 ft, but then subtract however much of the continental mass was also removed) in 2I, as we are shown. Greenland would add an extra 20ft.

But then with all the funky transhuman techno-magickal stuff that had been going down in the rest of 26', I was reading the end as two damned souls trapped alone in the anti-Eden in their post-resurrection perfected bodies, forged from will alone, where mundane issues of sustenance were moot.

Of course, the scene DID have more of a symbolic purpose, but it would explain why Asuka survived Shinji's strangling. Then again, Asuka still was shown to be wounded in that scene.

Anyways, given the risen water levels, they would have both an abundance of hurricanes and a lack of shelter. There would be no shortage of ways they could end up dead given they aren't superhuman at that point.

Also, I really wonder how Asuka of all people managed to regain her physical form, given her mental state. Unless you can see Asuka's whole epiphany while she was in Unit 02 as resolving her issues.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:57 pm

View Original PostAri wrote:Of course, the scene DID have more of a symbolic purpose, but it would explain why Asuka survived Shinji's strangling. Then again, Asuka still was shown to be wounded in that scene.

Anyways, given the risen water levels, they would have both an abundance of hurricanes and a lack of shelter. There would be no shortage of ways they could end up dead given they aren't superhuman at that point.

Also, I really wonder how Asuka of all people managed to regain her physical form, given her mental state. Unless you can see Asuka's whole epiphany while she was in Unit 02 as resolving her issues.

I always took it as her instinctively rejecting Instrumentality, since it's basically anathema to everything she is. She'd come back to the real world to die on her own terms if nothing else, as anything would be better than being forced to share her mind with the whole damn world.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Being a disembodied soul at this point is quite different from Instrumentality. Souls being separated by AT Fields was symbolically displayed right about here:

Rei:
If you wish once more for the existence of others, the barriers of the heart will separate everyone once more...
And the fear of other people will begin again.

Shinji:
That's all right...

(disengages Rei from him and clasps her hand)

Thank you.

At which point they stop being fused. And as we know from Kaworu:

KAWORU:
That's right. That's what you Lilim call it.
The sacred domain where none may trespass.
The light of the soul.
Lilim, you know, don't you?
That the AT Field is the wall that everyone has in their heart?

I'd also think this is obvious from the fact that we see tons of individual red dots released from the Black Moon. So they're basically floating around in the LCL in a daze like Shinji was in episode 20.

I've never understood the idea of Asuka wanting to die, with the bandages and all. And of course the destrudo/libido dynamic.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:13 pm

View Original PostAnonymous_Evafan wrote:I've never understood the idea of Asuka wanting to die, with the bandages and all. And of course the destrudo/libido dynamic.

It's the same end result either way. She's gonna choose life over floating around as disembodied nothingness, for exactly the reason you mention here (she's all about the libido).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Well that's not quite what I meant. Destrudo is depicted as a wholly bad and destructive force, what with the Rei clones falling into gory pieces and the general freak outs anytime anyone detects it.

This particular sequence from the salvage op sticks out in my mind.

IBUKI:
It's no good. The ego border is frozen in a loop.

RITSUKO:
Try firing all range of waveforms in all directions.

RITSUKO:
It's not working. The signals are being trapped in Klein space.

Misato:
What does that mean?

RITSUKO:
It means we failed.

RITSUKO (OFF):
Abort intervention. Reverse tangent plug.
Return the additive value to zero.

IBUKI:
Yes, Ma'am.

AOBA:
Destrudo reaction in the old area. Pattern sepia.

HYUGA:
We've detected a change in the core pulse too!
Plus 0.3 is confirmed!

RITSUKO:
Maintenance of the status quo is top priority.
Prevent back flow.

IBUKI:
Yes, Ma'am.
Plus 0.5... 0.8... This is odd. I can't stop it!

RITSUKO:
What is this? Why?
Don't you want to come back, Shinji?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Episode 20 really is like a mini-EoE. Something I've always liked about that episode.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”