Some questions about the quotes and meanings of TV 26

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
zashu
Embryo

Some questions about the quotes and meanings of TV 26

•      
  •      

Postby zashu » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:59 pm

Heya, my first post on here. I have been constantly thinking to myself what these quotes mean and I would like to know what you guys think about them :w00t:

“It’s you that perceives reality as bad and unpleasant”

Shinji has only been looking at reality through his own eyes and can’t seem to see anything other than bad and unpleasant things, even though it might not be the truth but merely others truths being pushed on to him to make him feel and see this way.

“It’s you who’s mistaken reality for the truth”

Shinji takes reality as his truth even though it is not the case, just because things are the way they are now doesn’t mean they can’t change. He has been seeing
reality as a terrible place where nothing good happens instead of the truth. Reality doesn’t last forever.

“Your perspective on reality and the importance you place on reality, the slightest difference in these things will greatly change the world inside your mind”

How you see the state of things and the importance you place on what you see, the slightest difference in these things can change how you see the world and what is
around you.

“There are as many truths as there are people”

Everyone has their own thought of what the truth is, so people have different truths from one another.

“But there is only one truth for you, one made from your narrow perception of the world and from information that was altered to protect yourself, a warped truth”

Shinji has a warped truth that only allows him to see things in bad light because of his perception of reality and altered information he constantly feeds himself
(thinking everything is bad, no one loves him even though that is not true), leading him to think the truth is the terrible reality.

“One’s perception of the world’s bound to be tiny anyway”

No one expects for you to see every possibility or perception of how others see things, so it’s fine to not understand but to accept.

“But people only have that tiny ruler to measure their surroundings with”

People can’t see every perception because they have their own, which limits their view.

“You only try to see things through the truths that other people have given you”

Shinji can’t see things through his own truth because he automatically thinks it’s wrong because it’s different from how he has been treated in his life
(abandoned and left alone, self isolation from humanity), and by doing this he creates a “warped truth” for himself that tries to use others truths of him for his own. Creating extremely low self-esteem and depression.

“On sunny days you feel good, on rainy days you feel down, once you’ve been taught that, you make yourself believe that’s how you should feel. Even though pleasant
things can happen on rainy days too”

The truth can always change there is no absolute, but once you see things in a certain way it’s hard to see the ambiguity when it potentially exists.

“It’s a delicate thing that can be completely transformed just by how you perceive something, the truth within people that is”

The truth can change based on how you view it, be it good or bad the truth is the truth to you.

“That’s how solid the truth is for humans. Though, that's what also makes people seek a deeper truth”

The truth is everything for humans. The truth can sometimes give people anxiety for not being able to see others' truths, which is why people always want to know and
look for the deeper truth so they can connect even deeper as well.

“However you are merely not used to being loved by other people”

Shinji is not used to being loved because of his past experiences, so he rejects everything compassionate or affectionate that has been shown to him currently, just
resorting to escapism because he is scared of ambiguity (it’s just a fake, everything, no one cares about me)

“So there is no need for you to constantly care about what other people think of you”

Not thinking about the truth for yourself and trying to understand it from what you’ve seen in reality and other people leads to depression, even though the possibility
of change exists. You are yourself, don’t care about what others think of you because it is not your truth.

“I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it’s okay for me to be here! I’m me nothing more, nothing less! I’m me. I want to be me! I want to be here!
And it’s okay for me to be here!”

Shinji wants to understand and love himself through himself, not others. He thinks of the possibilities of him being in the world and that change is always possible,
he is establishing that it’s okay for him to be alive no matter what other people think because that is not his truth it is simply just others expectations and truth
of what they see in him.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Some questions about the quotes and meanings of TV 26

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:45 am

It's talking about how people are subjective beings, meaning we can always change. This very empowering realization since it means no matter how bad you feel you have the capability to get out of that mindset. I think you got the gist of it. Great advice/lesson the show gives.

But for the sake of devil advocates, it's completely useless advice if you find yourself in an actual horrible situation. Imagine telling someone trapped in sex trafficking ring "make the best of it and just change your attitude, you can be happy while doing this"...sure technically that's true but I suspect it pretty obvious why it wouldn't be fair or reasonable to expect someone to actually do that.

It's great advice for everyday people living in a stable environment or that at least have the opportunity to be in one if they currently aren't. Useless advice for people who don't have that luxury for example people who were victims of the holocaust.

Also going forward try to organize your post so they are more readable.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Some questions about the quotes and meanings of TV 26

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:46 pm

What you're saying is all broadly correct, but do keep in mind that there is no singular truth for EoTV; there's multiple ways to read all of these, and a lot of them are just as valid interpretations
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”