What is Rei doing in the beginning of EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

What is Rei doing in the beginning of EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:16 pm

After she left her "apartment", she seems to be heading to somewhere, and in the next cut she is floating in the remains of the Dummy Plug. After that, she keeps looking to the corpses of the other "Reis". Maybe she was just chilling or whatever. But why there? Besides, Gendo says that "he knew that he will find her there". But why? Why on Earth Rei wanted to be anywhere near the Dummy Plug?

The best answer I came up with is that maybe she lost all hope, and she just wanna die, like the other Reis...
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

IgRAzm
Adam

Re: What is Rei doing in the beginning of EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby IgRAzm » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:36 pm

My only guess is - the LCL in the reiquatium has nutritious properties, that's what kept them alive. All in all, Rei did the same thing Asuka did in ep 24, but with the ability to maintain her body until her time came. Yeah, and she didn't care what there were rotting remains and stuff... Originally I kinda thought this place had a spiritual or magical meaning because of all the Reis dying, but the new explaination probably makes more sense.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:40 pm

She might have been doing some peparation measures for starting third impact, or alternatively, she'd gone to soak in the next available LcL tank so she wouldn't fall apart ahead of schedule now that the "appointed time" had come.

Given that she used to spend a lot of time there doing the tube sessions (and that this particular Rei had been sloshing around in the tank until a few weeks ago) it's not too strange to assume that, if told to report to Terminal Dogma in general, she would go there out of sheer habit.

My guess is that she would have been contemplating how she is actually the only one left now,for the first tie ever, and the implications of that.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:45 pm

View Original PostTheCarkolum wrote:The best answer I came up with is that maybe she lost all hope, and she just wanna die, like the other Reis...

She awakens in the beginning of the movie rather uncertain of herself as well. I think Rei spent along time reflecting on her past versions and her purpose. After careful deliberation she is becomes unwilling to participate in Gendo's schemes and makes her own decision
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”