Did anybody in NERV honestly care about Shinji as a person?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Did anybody in NERV honestly care about Shinji as a person?

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:00 pm

I think Shinji's psyche collapses because everyone likes him, but they execute their feelings in too many varying ways that he cannot handle. An overload of love that he misinterprets as high expectations, disinterest, rejection or even hatred.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

pastelprince
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pastelprince » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:55 am

I largely agree with Robersora's post! The thing about most of the Eva cast is that they're all dealing with their issues in ways that are harmful to both themselves and others. Caring for people around you comes naturally for humans, but things like heavy stress (like trying to prevent the end of the world) and depression tends to protect you from sympathizing too much, sometimes to the point where not even you yourself know who or what you care about.

About Misato, I always got the impression that deep down she loved Shinji a lot (platonically) but til the very end it was buried beneath layers. I think that her outmost layer, the person she wants to project, cares for and likes Shinji, but when he'd need that care the most she becomes more emotionally indifferent. The combination of the rational mind she needs in her line of work and her own emotional issues dulls her empathy and she probably feels like she cares for him less than she'd like to admit and he becomes more of a project or problem, depending on the context. Then as she's dying, both those layers are cast aside and her true feelings shine through in letting everything go and just doing what she can to make him keep going.

Boethiah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Boethiah » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:23 am

I actually find it interesting how Misato empathizes with Shinji a lot because they've been through similar experiences. It seems selfish but it was enough to keep him from going off the deep end - at least for a while.

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Of the shown main NERV characters it appears that every single one of them cared about Shinji in someway, the obvious examples are Misato (in every eva canon), ritsuko (specially in 2.22), fuyutsuki (specially shown in 3.33), maya, hyuga and aoba... even gendo (shown in EoE and maybe he's hiding his feelings like always in the rebuilds).
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Did anybody in NERV honestly care about Shinji BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:03 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:His father really wished for Shinji to become a strong, independent man. Unfortunately he had way too many hang-ups and thus, instead of guiding Shinji kept away from him, leading into a broken child. Quite ironic, actually.

I feel that one part of what makes Misato so compelling is exactly that dichotomy. Yes, she sent him to deadly missions to carry out her revenge. Yes, she played family life to substitute for the fact that she never had one. Does that mean she didn't care about him? No, because she did - even if she used him to a certain extend. Again, this is what makes her so rich an believable as a character, because in the end we all operate on give and take - even in human relationships.

Asuka clearly had a crush on him so she obviously cared a great deal about him,

Nah... Rebuild!Asuka had a crush on him, NGE!Asuka... It's more like she had expectations of him, as a fellow pilot of the Eva series, while also classifying him as a consolation prize when she couldn't earn Kaji's affections. When even that consolation prize turned out to have his attentions elsewhere... it made her absolutely livid, and compounded her sense of failure.

Did she care for him? Probably, but as you said, the drive for acknowledgement got in the way of her expressing any attachment to him other than through pseudo-sexual advances, which is probably the worst way to approach Shinji about anything.

I concur about Misato; her objectives surrounding him were at odds, but I dare say that the sympathy she held for him was winning out there at the end.

With Gendo, I say he clearly did not. Or even if he did, he buried it far beneath his need to see his wife again, along with everything else. He abandoned Shinji, so he wouldn't be pushed into moving on; to stop himself from gaining closure. Instead, he intentionally isolated himself; cultivated the feelings surrounding the loss of his wife, so as to turn it into motivation that would empower him to do the things "necessary" to see her again.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Asuka Shikinami Langley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Shikinami Langley » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:30 pm

I honestly felt they treated him like crap

the poor kid was traumatized.

also he was bit of wuss at times but can't really blame him.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Did anybody in NERV honestly care about Shinji BP

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:18 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:With Gendo, I say he clearly did not. Or even if he did, he buried it far beneath his need to see his wife again, along with everything else. He abandoned Shinji, so he wouldn't be pushed into moving on; to stop himself from gaining closure. Instead, he intentionally isolated himself; cultivated the feelings surrounding the loss of his wife, so as to turn it into motivation that would empower him to do the things "necessary" to see her again.

I can't say anything about NTE!Gendo, but I think it's clear (from EoE) that NGE!Gendo did care about Shinji, but was so filled with self-loathing and so obsessed with seeing Yui again that he convinced himself that everything he was doing was ultimately in Shinji's best interests. After all, if he'd be united with Shinji in the end via Complementation everything would sort itself out, right? So everything that happens in the meantime doesn't matter, right? So that traumatized boy right in front of him is a problem that will ultimately correct itself, right? Right.

It will all be fine in the end, so keep calm and carry on. Such is the power of self-delusion.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”