Why is Asuka so nice to Hikari?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:08 pm

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:Asuka throwin' up the horns (new headcannon: she got her degree at Texas A&M) while Hikari looks stoned as hell. Kaji is grimacing (is he constipated?). Aoba is peepin' on Maya. A doofus arranged the picture, because he didn't put all the short folks in the front (and I bet Misato looks as irked as she does because this is the third or fourth take).

Asuka don't sound like she been to Texas.

I've never encountered anyone who had such an unpleasant attitude toward Hikari.

Did you not understand me when I was talking about knocking Asuka out?
Asuka, you're not going to have any children.

You don't care about Hikari anymore, Asuka?

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:17 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:Did you not understand me when I was talking about knocking Asuka out?

I understood just fine. You'd punch Asuka out for not being a jerk to Hikari. That's unpleasant, and a little weird. Also, it's possible Asuka's nice to Hikari because Hikari doesn't go around punching people out.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:19 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I understood just fine. You'd punch Asuka out for not being a jerk to Hikari. That's unpleasant, and a little weird. Also, it's possible Asuka's nice to Hikari because Hikari doesn't go around punching people out.

Because it's weird if Asuka'd be unpleasant to me and not Hikari. And the people Asuka's mean to have not been punching people out.

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:38 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:Because it's weird if Asuka'd be unpleasant to me and not Hikari. And the people Asuka's mean to have not been punching people out.

How do you know Asuka would be unpleasant to you? Also, while I tend to disagree with the idea that everyone Asuka was abrasive to deserved it (except for Shinji towards the end, this is still a bit seriously to be taking this argument. Also, even if Shinji and Misato didn't deserve the way Asuka acted, you still can't deny that Hikari went out of her way to be nice to Asuka, therefore hopefully deserving something in return.

...how did the term "punching people out" become involved in this argument anyway?
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:55 pm

View Original PostShoujo Kakumei Asuka wrote:How do you know Asuka would be unpleasant to you? Also, while I tend to disagree with the idea that everyone Asuka was abrasive to deserved it (except for Shinji towards the end, this is still a bit seriously to be taking this argument. Also, even if Shinji and Misato didn't deserve the way Asuka acted, you still can't deny that Hikari went out of her way to be nice to Asuka, therefore hopefully deserving something in return.

...how did the term "punching people out" become involved in this argument anyway?

Whatsherface was mean to other people.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:40 pm

Hikari was a stern Class Rep at times (including ordering Shinji to check on "Asuka-san" in Ep 9), that's all I remember about the series in terms of bad attitudes from her.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Yeah. As far as I remember, Hikari was probably one of the nicest people to be around in that group - the stern class rep image hid a far sweeter person.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Why is Asuka such a goody two shoes to whatsherface?

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:56 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's because she's not really mean to anyone. Shinji frustrates her, she's jealous of Misato, and Rei freaks her out, but apart from being arrogant and disdainful toward her "lessers" -- i.e., anyone who's not an adult -- she's actually perfectly pleasant to be around.

She gets along with Misato really well when Shinji and Kaji aren't involved, too.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:21 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:Whatsherface was mean to other people.

No she isn't. She's class rep, it's her job to keep people in line. That's not the same thing as being mean at all.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:43 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No she isn't. She's class rep, it's her job to keep people in line. That's not the same thing as being mean at all.

Yeah right, that's like saying that somebody is being no-nonsense but it still could be counted as critical or outspoken. At the times she was being mean, she could've said something like "Okay, I think you made Asuka cry, what is going on? How 'bout you talked through this with her." or try to put herself in his shoes and wonder who was the person that made her cry. And Asuka could've had talked her out of Hikari's stern situations and say something like "I think you're being mean, that's not nice"

I think taht Crapiri (Hikari) is like Asuka.
Last edited by PurpleandRed on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:48 pm

It's bizarre to me that you consider that mean and yet are sitting here talking about punching people out.

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:50 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's bizarre to me that you consider that mean and yet are sitting here talking about punching people out.

Then, what should I consider it, rude?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:53 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:Then, what should I consider it, rude?

Righteous indignation, as expected from a class representative who's looking out for her peeps.

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Righteous indignation, as expected from a class representative who's looking out for her peeps.

That's my opinion! DOn't say bizarre!

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:12 pm

Taking this kind of personally. Level it back.

I have to be honest, I'm in the woods here, too: I'm trying to see exactly how Hikari is as mean a character as you say she is. Further, you're giving alternatives to how she should have behaved with a combination of being able to look back on the incident with twenty-twenty vision and the omniscience of an outside viewer. And emotional distance; it's hard to have the right answer when in the middle of a situation.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

The Cruel
Banned

Postby The Cruel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:28 pm

It's nothing new that Asuka is difficult to handle because of how intimidating, sturbborn, deterrent and arrogant she is.

Trust and love are few terms which she treats carelessly or is difficult to react while we think of her trauma and so the resulting goals she made to herself and the type of relationships she chooses, that are hopeless, empty and difficult to comprehend.

Her relationship with Hikari was built out of need to spread her ego, because she is the class rep of her class and so a "strong" person. But when the times became harder and Asukas will went down south, Hikari couldn't do enough to save her from her misery. She wasn't enough for Asuka to be listened and trusted.

And for Asuka, this kind of love and trust she felt was only from her mother, not from Shinji, Kaji or someone else.

But even before the incident, I bet her mother exploited her feelings the same as Yui exploited Shinjis. They definitly love them, though the result was that Shinji ends up playing god and Asuka having a gory battle without a chance for victory including with her own special sky burial.

If she could've found the certain someone, that she would listen, trust and love, then her fate would've been much different
Last edited by The Cruel on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:32 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Taking this kind of personally. Level it back.

I have to be honest, I'm in the woods here, too: I'm trying to see exactly how Hikari is as mean a character as you say she is. Further, you're giving alternatives to how she should have behaved with a combination of being able to look back on the incident with twenty-twenty vision and the omniscience of an outside viewer. And emotional distance; it's hard to have the right answer when in the middle of a situation.

WHY SHOULDN'T I GIVE ALTERNATIVES ON HOW SHE SHOULD'VE BEHAVED??? THAT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER TO SOME PEOPLE!

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING OMNISCENCE AND EMOTIONAL DISTANCE!!!

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:39 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:WHY SHOULDN'T I GIVE ALTERNATIVES ON HOW SHE SHOULD'VE BEHAVED??? THAT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER TO SOME PEOPLE!

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING OMNISCENCE AND EMOTIONAL DISTANCE!!!

...wuh-huh? Humma...eh....

...anyway....

You can give alternative scenarios to all situations all you want, but that doesn't change the situation itself, how it happened, and why it may have happened that way. Making suppositions about things that would have been handled better in one way or another is unfair to the characters.

I mean, how many times have you made terrible decisions with the best of intentions? Everyone has. Does that make you an awful person? Or just human?

Frankly, Hikari, for all her faults (of which she does have some) is one of the most even-keeled characters on the show. Calling her mean is just odd.

...and having emotional distance and omniscience on a given point doesn't allow you to look at it with clarity.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:37 am

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING OMNISCENCE AND EMOTIONAL DISTANCE!!!

Maybe not; but neither of those is what you are exhibiting right now, it seems.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why is Asuka such a goody two shoes to whatsherface?

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:24 am

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:But people hardly talked about why Asuka may like Hikari and instead
Their friendship develops in a gap between episodes, so we don't know how it happened. It does feel like something that appeared by directoral fiat so that there was someone to take Asuka's side following the DDR tantrum, as opposed to being shown the more plausible male bonding Shinji did.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”