03, 04, and Series

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

03, 04, and Series

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:30 pm

if this has already been asked just say so...but i didnt see it so.....

Who's souls are in Unit 03, 04, and the Eva series?

i know the dummy plug based on Kawrou's battle data is how the Eva series works...
(of course Reichu or Mr.Tines will prbly tell me im wrong with hard evidence, and once again demonstrate for everyone how dumb i am...)

but dont they also need souls?...or do they not cuz of the S^2 Organs?...

as for Unit 03...clearly its one of Toji's parents...(i think mom...hes says at one point that one died but i cant remember which one)...but why were they working in America (im correct when i say 03 and 04 were made in the US right?)...if his parents work in America wouldnt it make very little sense for him to live in Tokyo?
...or perhaps he moved there after the death...

also...since the Marduk Agency i assume must know...(at least Akagi and Gendo seem to know)...that the soul related to the soul inside Eva works better...why would they allow an Eva to be made in the US?...since they have all the pilots...(cept Asuka of course) in Tokyo...they werent pre-planning to have 03 moved to Japan i think...since they did it only cuz of what happened to Unit 04...(probly Leliel i assume)

also...is there any evidence or clue as to who was supposed to be the Pilot ofr Unit 04?

it could be anybody...but if they had gone thourgh and had Unit 04 fight...it probly wouldve been Kensuke or Hikari...just cuz we know and love them...(imagines Hikari in plugsuit...*drool*)

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:41 pm

Err, there are quite a few errors/oversights in that, from what I can tell.

- The Marduk Institute doesn't exist, or so Kaji says, and there's really no reason to doubt him. They only served for picking eva pilots, and NERV is doing that, so they have no real function.

- Toji says that his father and grandfather are working at "the lab," indicating that his father is alive. Giving farther evidence to this is the fact that all the students in Shinji's class have no living mother (extrapolation). However, what I gathered from the presentation in the series is that the 4th child was a rushed attempt and wasn't really planned out like Shinji/Rei/Asuka, and I doubt they have a giant pool of souls containing every 4th Level Candidate's mother's soul. However, I could be wrong of course. :P It's safe to assume his parents work in Japan as well. And going with the idea that Toji's selection as a pilot was random, it's safe to think that 04's pilot would be random out of the pool as well. For deus ex machina purposes, let's say it probably would have been Kensuke. But there's really no reason to do that, now is there?

- I don't think they really say where Unit 04 is from, just that it's present at the 2nd branch when it vanishes. It could have been produced anywhere, for all it matters.

- I don't really think it matters whose souls are in the other evas. They act as a sort of deus ex machina anyway (especially 04, to a lesser extent 03, and the MPs *do* matter a little bit.) However, all the MPs are the same, so inductive logic will give you the idea that they contain random donor souls.

the3rdchildren
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the3rdchildren » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Is it not a possibility that Eva-03 had no resident soul and was basically created to abide to "the scenario"? Just a thought. Disprove away.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:08 pm

There is no information given regarding the souls of Unit 03 and 04.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:26 pm

okay my bad...but yeah 04 was in the US when it vanished...look at the screen showing the crater where the Lab used to be...it says Nevada U.S. in the corner

also...upon further inspection...it would seem the accident may have been caused by a flawed S^2 expirement...they were trying to put on in Unit 04...or were at least messing with it when it happened...

but then again...its still more likely that it was the Dirac Sea as Ritsuko says

AND GUESS WHAT?....the tides have finally turned...for the first time ever...Rolando gets to correct someone....

Units 03 and 04 were made in the U.S.

Ritsuko and Misato are on the escalator in ep 17...

[Misato: "They insisted on the rights to build Units 03 and 04. But now they force us to accept it. They're pushing their luck".]

as for Unit 03 being possessed being part of their scenario...i dont think so...if they had that much prior knowledge about the Angel's capabilities and methods of attack...then the other battles wouldve gone a lot more smoothly

the3rdchildren
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the3rdchildren » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:54 pm

master0rolando wrote:as for Unit 03 being possessed being part of their scenario...i dont think so...if they had that much prior knowledge about the Angel's capabilities and methods of attack...then the other battles wouldve gone a lot more smoothly

Yeah, I think you're right.

It's most likely one of those things that will never be explained, and explaining it would be purely speculative. It was probably something that wasn't explored too greatly because it's mostly irrelevant on the grander scale of matters.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:15 pm

Plus...when theyre trying to activate Unit 03 it goes smoothly at first...without a soul...it wouldnt even start up like it did...(of course that could just be the Angel)

i wanna whos soul and how it got there...whaaaaah...

but im still happy.....why?.....because i found a shexshay plug suit Hikari pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

[URL=http://serv1.imagehigh.com/view.php?id=3681026_droools.jpg&path=/imgss]Image[/URL]

and thats what matters

Rawinder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Rawinder » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:23 pm

Eva 03 contains the soul of Touji's mother, which is why he was chosen as the Fourth. Eva 04 contains no soul, based on the fact that Kaworu was the Fifth (and also the fact that Kaworu could synch with an Eva regardless of whether or not it had a soul).

The Eva series contain souls, obviously, but whose they contain is unknown. Most likely, their souls also came from the mothers of kids in Shinji's class.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:34 pm

i figured Touji's mom is Unit 03...but the question is...how did it get there...Yui's soul insertion seemed to be the only intentional one we know of...

and using the souls of all their moms for the Eva series?...i guess that seems feasible...Yui wasnt able to overide the dummy plug (that we know of anyway)...why would those women be able to?

man...thats just awful...SEELE sucks...fuck those arrogant, selfish bastards

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:41 pm

I'm pretty sure that as long as the corpse is still relatively fresh, they can load the body into the entry plug and let it be absorbed. That's how they were able to put Naoko Ikagi's soul inside of unit 00 and Asuka's mother's inside of Unit 02 even though they had both commited suicide.

And I wasn't aware that none of Shinji's classmates have mothers. Where was the source of this info? Wouldn't people find this just a little suspicious if that's the case?

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:44 pm

first off...Rei 1 is in Unit 00, not Akagi...and Miss Langley lost half her soul to Unit 02 BEFORE she killed herself

its why she killed herself...the part of her that loves her daughter was sucked into 02...then she went nuts...half a soul

also...the thing about one of thm having moms is a well known fact...i have no idea which epsiode its said in...but it is...Reichu would know....ask her

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:48 pm

No, Rei I's soul cannot be in Unit 00, because it's inside Rei II, and eventually III. Naoko hates both Rei and Gendo because they treated her like crap, so that's why as Naoko-sama she tried to kill both of them when she went berserk.

And Unit 02 probably could not operate with only half of Kyoko's soul. That's why after she died, NERV/SEELE would likely have loaded her into the plug and let the rest of her be absorbed to be a fully-functional unit.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:47 pm

dude...i swear i will bring Mr. Tines, Reichu, Datdude, Eva Monkey...all o them up in here...to tell your goofy butt...that it is Rei 1

Rei contains Lilith's soul...Lilith's soul can be split up...when Rei 1 was killed...she went into Unit 00...seriously...

in ep 5 when Unit 00 goes beserk...it attacks Ritsuko...just Ritsuko...would that make sense since Rei 1 was strangled by her?...Why would Naoko attack Ritsuko? I dont remember any point when Ritsuko did anything bad to Naoko...

also...in ep 14... Shinji attempts a synch with Unit 00...he sees Rei when hes inside...and it goes Berserk when the crazee lookin Rei 1 face comes at him...at first it seems to attack Rei...but afterwards we hear Ritsuko say "It was trying to hit me...im sure of it"

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:16 am

Timstuff wrote:That's how they were able to put Naoko Ikagi's soul inside of unit 00 and Asuka's mother's inside of Unit 02 even though they had both commited suicide.
Oh dear... Seriously, the "Naoko in Unit-00" theory has been thouroughly debunked for years now. Leaving aside the fact that the series plainly shows us whose soul is in Unit-00, the idea of it being Naoko flies in the face of everything we're told about how Eva/pilot synchronization works.
#25':
(EVA-02 emerges and starts fighting)

Asuka (thinking):
Mama... Mama!
I understand now... The meaning of the AT Field.
Always protecting me! Always watching over me!

(speaking) Always... always together!
Mama!

The maternal soul in the Eva deploys the AT field in order to protect her own child within the entry plug. What would be the basis of Rei synching with Naoko?! Naoko hated Rei; why would she protect her? They belabour the point that Asuka would not be compatible with Unit-00 or 01; given that, why would anyone assume that a Rei/Naoko synchronization could work?
And I wasn't aware that none of Shinji's classmates have mothers. Where was the source of this info? Wouldn't people find this just a little suspicious if that's the case?
They establish, either directly (Kensuke) or implicitly (Toji and Hikari) that Shinji's classmates are motherless, and later tell us that all of Shinj's class are potential pilot candidates.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:21 am

the reason people think that a Rei/Naoko synch works is cuz Rei is half Angel...i suppose since she isnt aware of her abilities till Kawrou tells this would be rather odd...but perhaps she could do it without knowing...

but yeah its Rei 1

and Yes Lagnley los thte part of her that loves her daughter to Unit 02...believe

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:46 am

The idea that Lilith's soul can somehow be split up is just plain too convoluted for me to believe. It went from Lilith to Rei I, from Rei I to Rei II, and from Rei II to Rei III. And an Eva needs a human soul to operate, which wouldn't work too well with Rei I seeing as she's an angel.

And Kyoko's entire soul would have to have been absorbed by unit 02 for it to be able to operate. She only lost part of it at first which drove her mad, and when the powers that be realised what happened, they selected Asuka as the pilot of Unit 02, since the plan would have been to absorb the rest of Kyoko into the Eva after she died (and really, who wouldn't have seen that coming, save for Asuka herself?).

As for Rei synching with a Naoko-fueled Unit 00, it's far from a dead issue. Rei and Unit 00 seem reluctant to synch with eachother, and many speculate that this is because Naoko dislikes Rei. But like Kaworu, since Rei is actually an angel, she can synch with any Eva she pilots (which is why she was ideal for the dummy plug system). She is probably more reluctant about her powers than Kaworu though, which is why she does not achieve as high synch rates. However, if Rei was synching with a copy of herself, then wouldn't it make sense for her to have a highly impressive synch rate? Think about it for a while...

And Naoko was mad at Ritsuko too, because the first thing she did once her mom was gone was ride the boyfriend who dumped her mom. I think she was trying to attack both Rei and Ritsuko. And also, if the soul is truly that of Rei I, how would that explain why Unit 00 tries to attack Gendo? And why would Rei I attack Ritsuko even though they more or less didn't even know each other, much less be enemies? Lack of motive for attacking Rei, Gendo, and Ritsuko is a large reason why I say it's impossible for Unit 00 to be Rei I.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:16 am

Timstuff wrote:And an Eva needs a human soul to operate

I wasn't aware of this prerequisite. I can't find anything in the script that implies this. But for a little clarification, Lilith's soul isn't one of a homo sapien, but in NGE the definition of "human" includes Lilith.

But like Kaworu, since Rei is actually an angel, she can synch with any Eva she pilots (which is why she was ideal for the dummy plug system).

The way Rei syncs with Eva's is not the same as Kaworu's "special" ability. It isn't because he's an angel, it's because he's Adam, and the Eva's are made from Adam.
ep24' plat subs wrote:KAWORU:
The Eva are made of the same body as I am.
Because I am born from Adam as well.
I could merge with them, if only they didn't have souls.
Unit 02's soul has shut itself away for now.

Rei, is NOT born of Adam.

However, if Rei was synching with a copy of herself, then wouldn't it make sense for her to have a highly impressive synch rate? Think about it for a while...

The actual sync ratio doesn't seem to have as much to do with who's soul is actually in the Eva. They go up and down, probably depends on a lot of different things. If the soul was incompatible, one wouldn't be able to sync AT ALL.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:58 am

Rei is still an angel, and even though she might not be descended from Adam, she still has the ability to synch with any eva unit, or else the dummy plug system would not work. And if an Evangelion possessed the soul of an angel and not a human (as in, a REAL human, not the "generalized" term used often in Evangelion), then it would be an actual angel, not an eva. An Evangelion is not just a copy of an angel, it's an angel-dirrived lifeform that's made to be like a human.

Evangelion = human soul in angel-based body

Rei/Kaworu = angel soul in human-based body

Rei and Kaworu are the opposite of an Evangelion. To suggest that Unit 00 has Rei I's soul is to suggest that Unit 00 was not an actual Evangelion in the first place.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:41 am

Was there ever mention (or intent) that the dummy plug was to be used for any other Eva except Eva-01? If any angel can sync with any Eva regardless of whose soul is inside, wouldn't it be a bad idea to use Evas to fight angels?

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:49 am

Ornette wrote:Was there ever mention (or intent) that the dummy plug was to be used for any other Eva except Eva-01? If any angel can sync with any Eva regardless of whose soul is inside, wouldn't it be a bad idea to use Evas to fight angels?

That is an amazing point.

The actual sync ratio doesn't seem to have as much to do with who's soul is actually in the Eva. They go up and down, probably depends on a lot of different things. If the soul was incompatible, one wouldn't be able to sync AT ALL.

Think of when Yui rejected both Rei and the dummy plug, though. Of her own volition, she refused to sync. This indicates that the soul in the eva has a sort of consciousness and has to make the conscious decision to sync or not sync.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”