Best subtitles for Evangelion TV series?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:25 pm

The commentary project uses the Platinum subtitles mostly (the original first few episodes were all custom translated, as it was around the time Platinum was being released in the U.S.). The difficulty in that is translating the rest of the storyboard notes and the dialogue that didn't get translated (background chatter).

The other options are timing the LTP subs, using the A2000A subs, or the zx subs. Or the original ADV On-Air subtitles which will need to be re-timed for platinum.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Wait, what? If we're using the Platinum subs for the Commentary project, isn't this page and others like it rendered moot?

Part of the reason the Project's been slow going is we don't have enough people translating the episodes/storyboards/whatever else, otherwise we probably would have been long done by now.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:51 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The difficulty in that is translating the rest of the storyboard notes and the dialogue that didn't get translated (background chatter).

In that link, it would be all the stuff that isn't the dialogue.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 pm

I think the platinum subtitles get it pretty close to original intent. Admittedly my Japanese is only about a conversational level but nothing really jumped out at me as being off. And the platinum subtitles do translate most of the background conversations such as TV shows, radio, or NERV personnel communications.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm pretty sure the dialouge was re-translated for all the commentary episodes. I know it was for 05 & 06.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:I think the platinum subtitles get it pretty close to original intent. Admittedly my Japanese is only about a conversational level but nothing really jumped out at me as being off. And the platinum subtitles do translate most of the background conversations such fas TV shows, radio, or NERV personnel communications.

We already found one very questionable translation in Platinum Sub:
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/515450/Souls-and-Cores/#515450
and the Platinum Sub translating "opened" as "unsealed" here is problematic too:
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/516033/Yui-and-the-Ark-ugly-split/#516033

For detailed study of Evangelion, pretty close may not be enough... Without a full side-by-side comparison of the Japanese scripts and the Platinum Sub translation, I don't know how many similar issues there are in the Platinum Sub. I just hope there are not that many...
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hersuri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hersuri » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 am

So we're no closer to a definitive selection for subtitles? Not that I'm being critical, no.

Dan The Cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dan The Cat » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:32 am

i have only watched the Platinum subs, so thats all i can go by.

But i have only watched it recently, i first watched dubs because i struggle with Dyslexia.

Tbh, the dubs are not that bad, i do hate however, Spike Spencer as Shinji

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 am

View Original Posthersuri wrote:So we're no closer to a definitive selection for subtitles? Not that I'm being critical, no.

What are you talking about? At the moment the Platinum subs are definitive. That doesn't mean they're 100% accurate, They're official, they're what we all use in our discussions, and they're mostly accurate. That doesn't mean they're perfect, but that's not really the point.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:17 am

^ I think he meant "definitive" as the "final say" "ultimate". In this sense, I have my doubt over Platinum Sub. Not much, but I cannot dispel my doubt.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Don't fall for the "it's only 95% therefore it's of 0% use" trap. It's better than the original ADV subtitles and it's better than any fan-subs I've seen. It is especially helpful in decoding all the background convos/songs/etc.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:48 pm

The Literal Translation Project is a great resource if you were dissatisfied with the lack of humor in NGE's later episodes.

Episode 23, Literal Translation Project wrote:Shinji: Misato-san. Never come out the tears.
I think I am sad, but never come out the tears.

Misato: Shinji-kun, all that I can do for you is this.

Shinji: Stop!
No, Misato-san.

Misato: Sorry.
----------

Misato: Although he must be lonely, maybe he fears a woman.
No, he fears the communication with people.

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:38 pm

I think the Platinum subs are definitely acceptable for most cases, though like others have said, if you're looking to get really in-depth about it, it's probably better to use something like the Literal Translation Project or just learn Japanese.

I hear a lot of people say that NGE loses a bit of its eloquence in translation, and I feel like it would probably be impossible to truly capture whatever was lost in subtitled form anyway. There is no such thing as a perfect translation, after all.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 pm

The wiki here says "the advent of Platinum has rendered the LTP scripts largely obsolete and are -- some quibbling aside -- considerably more accurate."

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:28 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:Don't fall for the "it's only 95% therefore it's of 0% use" trap.

Don't think anybody has fallen for that trap though... It is just that when hersuri said perhaps we still do not have a definitive subtitle, I would tend to agree more than disagree.

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:I hear a lot of people say that NGE loses a bit of its eloquence in translation, and I feel like it would probably be impossible to truly capture whatever was lost in subtitled form anyway. There is no such thing as a perfect translation, after all.

That is for sure, and cannot be helped. I would rather the meaning is accurately conveyed than keeping the eloquence at all cost, but that could be just my preference.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I would rather the meaning is accurately conveyed than keeping the eloquence at all cost, but that could be just my preference.

Agreed 100%. "Eloquence" should come secondary.

hersuri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hersuri » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:44 am

I shouldn't reply to this thread when I'm drunk as shit, hah. Just a stickler for accuracy. There's always so much lost in translation, it's hard to keep in track.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:We already found one very questionable translation in Platinum Sub:

That's not the only one from the KatsExp flashback, either.

and the Platinum Sub translating "opened" as "unsealed" here is problematic too

It's bochan_bird who translated it as "unsealed". EoE is not part of Platinum. (In fact, Platinum subtitles for EoE would probably have avoided most of the problems seen in bochan_bird's translation.)

For detailed study of Evangelion, pretty close may not be enough... Without a full side-by-side comparison of the Japanese scripts and the Platinum Sub translation, I don't know how many similar issues there are in the Platinum Sub. I just hope there are not that many...

I can provide the Platinum subs and the Japanese scripts, but the "side-by-side" part will have to be done manually.

fishhead wrote:it's probably better to use something like the Literal Translation Project

Don't let the name fool you.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's bochan_bird who translated it as "unsealed". EoE is not part of Platinum. (In fact, Platinum subtitles for EoE would probably have avoided most of the problems seen in bochan_bird's translation.)

BTW, which subs/translation is considered more trustworthy in the case of EoE?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's bochan_bird who translated it as "unsealed". EoE is not part of Platinum. (In fact, Platinum subtitles for EoE would probably have avoided most of the problems seen in bochan_bird's translation.)

I guess there is no official English translation for EoE then since you chose to use bochan_bird's translation? If that is the case, then I see why HyperShinchan found it necessary to ask the quesiton in the post above.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”