What do you think SEELE is?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Asuka 02
Embryo

What do you think SEELE is?

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka 02 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 pm

I don't know if this topic has already posted, but i think it is a huge mystery what does SEELE really is, my main theory about this is that SEELE is a kind of Fanatic Religious Organization, why? another theory to support the first one is that SEELE knows more about the Dead Sea Scrolls, i think that the scrolls say something (kind of instructions) about how to wake up the angels, (basing this on the scenes where Kaworu is talking with someone of SEELE), so the main objective of SEELE is to cause the third impact and complete the task that the Dead Sea Scrolls (The human instrumentality project) have written.

Another theory this one from a friend of mine says that SEELE are a kind of Gods trying to cause the third impact.
i'll tell him that i posted this if you have questions about it

PD sorry if my english is not perfect. XD

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Some info here: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Seele
and in the Classified Info: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Classified_Information_%28Translation%29#Seele

Thought it's still a bit ambiguous.

Oh, also from the theatrical programs: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=15124#15124

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:35 am

I think it's worth pointing out that originally SEELE were ment to be Essenes so yes, viewing SEELE as strange SF fixated cyberreligious evil jews organization whose roots go back to ancient times is valid. I don't think Anno intended the whole "evil jews control the world mwhahahaha" thing but the subtext is there and is pretty funny.

If one views SEELE as some sort of bizarre, heretic jewish sect with long history it all makes sense.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:54 am

View Original PostXard wrote:I think it's worth pointing out that originally SEELE were ment to be Essenes

The Confidential Information states that Seele began as an esoteric medieval society, which makes sense - Kabbalah appeared in medieval Europe. Seele also has a public appearance as a science and art patron organization: it financed the Dead Sea Scrolls excavation, the Katsuragi expedition, and Gehirn.

If one views SEELE as some sort of bizarre, heretic jewish sect with long history it all makes sense.

While it first was a religious group, in the modern times, Seele transformed itself into a techno-mystical secular organization.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah, pretty much. I brought up their origin as some sort of crazy Essene cult as affirmation for the fact Anno considered their origins as a religious sect from the start.

Towards the end their "cyber-religion" (techno-mysticism is fine too) starts to bear close resemblance to UFO cults and such in my opinion.

Asuka 02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka 02 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 pm

So SEELE is a Kind of "iluminati" association, according to my theory

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Pretty much. You can think of SEELE as the Illuminati, Freemasons, or any other secret society archetype you've heard of.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:38 pm

I find such designation an overvaluation of their power and influence.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:44 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:I find such designation an overvaluation of their power and influence.

Society that puppeteers UN which in turn pretty much controls post-2I world doesn't have power or influence? :hohum:

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:58 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Society that puppeteers UN which in turn pretty much controls post-2I world doesn't have power or influence? :hohum:

When you resort to lying to a high government official like the Japanese prime minister to do your bidding, and when the same government sends a triple spy who makes a stir before being eliminated, and when a private corporation can build a robot that can compete with your own creation so you have to do pathetic sabotaging, then, yeah, you should hold your tongue about your "power" and "influence".

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Probably a mix of super orthodox jews and fundamentalist christians.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:41 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:When you resort to lying to a high government official like the Japanese prime minister to do your bidding, and when the same government sends a triple spy who makes a stir before being eliminated, and when a private corporation can build a robot that can compete with your own creation so you have to do pathetic sabotaging, then, yeah, you should hold your tongue about your "power" and "influence".

Just because an organization is the de-facto ruler of the world doesn't mean they don't have to play some politics, and deal with some opposition. The Illuminati themselves couldn't come out and order the JSDF to mobilize troops, because the troops wouldn't take that shit. That's why they have to go through the publically recognized channels.
fnord

---
Ever.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:34 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:When you resort to lying to a high government official like the Japanese prime minister to do your bidding, and when the same government sends a triple spy who makes a stir before being eliminated, and when a private corporation can build a robot that can compete with your own creation so you have to do pathetic sabotaging, then, yeah, you should hold your tongue about your "power" and "influence".

What exactly did they lie to the Prime Minister about? The only time, IIRC, that the Prime Minister is ever brought up is in EoE when he gets the information that Nerv was planning to cause Third Impact, which isn't a lie. It's also reasonable to believe that Seele didn't directly leak this information to the Prime Minister, and instead used one of their many puppets.

And for that nameless private organization you're referring to: keep in mind who's funding it. Keep in mind who funded that Katsuragi Expedition. Keep in mind who funded/was involved in the excavation of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Seele pretty much has its puppet strings around the whole world. The only reason they arguably failed in the end is because they naturally took a huge risk in order to complete a huge project. No matter how much power you have, one risk can tear it all down.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 pm

C. Confidential Information

An esoteric secret society born during the medieval Dark Ages and originally a religious order. Slowly but surely, they extended their influence, until at last they crushed the final forces of opposition in the mid-20th century and became a latent power with covert rule over human society.

As far as crazy, evil, world conquering jews go SEELE was pretty damn succesful

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Since it hasn't been pointed out yet in this thread, please allow me to translate a few relevant names:

SEELE = German for "soul"
in Evangelion: secret organization that rules the world with its master plan

GEHIRN = German for "brain"
in Evangelion: predecessor to NERV, semi-secret organization that performed research on Adam and succeeded in creating the first Evangelion, as part of SEELE's plan.

NERV = German for "nerve"
In Evangelion: semi-public organization that develops and operates Evangelions, in order to carry out SEELE's plan.

The link with cognition and biology should be clear. The "soul" (or mind) has a thought, which is given shape by the "brain", and carried out by the "nerves".

So what does this make the Evangelions? Both the thought itself, and the "muscles" that are operated by the "nerves".

This shows an interesting irony about SEELE. In order to carry out their master plan of Instrumentality, they need to "embody" themselves, by creating a "body": Evangelion. However, the entire purpose of Instrumentality is to abandon the flesh altogether, including GEHIRN, NERV and the Evangelions.

Given that in NGE the characters evoke more sympathy the closer they are to the Evangelions ("the flesh"), and less sympathy the further they are removed from Evangelions, SEELE's ultimate disregard for the value of the flesh works to portray them as extremely unsympathetic.

(Case in point: Keel Lorenz is more ruthless than Gendo, because Keel would (and did) throw away everything and anything for Instrumentality, including all of the NERV staff, all Evangelions, and Kaworu; while Gendo drew the line at Yui (and possibly Rei).)

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 pm

View Original PostAsuka 02 wrote:LOL, that's the deal, what is the official story line? nobody knows, by the way you didn´t refute anyone of my theories
'

Rebuild is only linked to original by contrived fanwank theories - there's no solid evidence at this point and the original work forms a unit, just like Rebuild forms its own.

you can't use original to prove something about Rebuild or vice versa

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:33 pm

View Original PostAsuka 02 wrote:LOL, that's the deal, what is the official story line? nobody knows, by the way you didn´t refute anyone of my theories

Actually, I think a hell of a lot of the stuff about "canon" is a lot of hoey, and all the different forms of real Eva (Not like, Angelic Days or that shit, just the Manga, Anime, and Rebuild) all inform each other to a degree, and it doesn't really matter, but seriously, Rebuild section.
fnord

---
Ever.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Rebuild tangent split here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=418835#418835
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:10 am

You know, I never really got the whole "Seele = Jews" theory. Seele always seemed much more associated with the Nazis and their occult dealings and myths to me then anything related to Jews.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:17 am

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:You know, I never really got the whole "Seele = Jews" theory. Seele always seemed much more associated with the Nazis and their occult dealings and myths to me then anything related to Jews.

View Original PostXard wrote:I think it's worth pointing out that originally SEELE were ment to be Essenes so yes, viewing SEELE as strange SF fixated cyberreligious evil jews organization whose roots go back to ancient times is valid. I don't think Anno intended the whole "evil jews control the world mwhahahaha" thing but the subtext is there and is pretty funny.

- Sachi

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”