Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:56 pm

View Original PostWonderBug wrote:Play the old games then?

lol don't worry I will = P But I do think they might've been better off not calling it FF13 but either making it a new series all together or make it a spin off. Its just that from what I've read they where aiming for a different audience with this. Or maybe I am just bad at accepting change X D

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

On this forum, people should prefer the Megami Tensei series.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:24 pm

^ I think you meant to say Xenogears.

Semi-mystical mechas, loldeep plot, psychological themes, meaningless religious overtones, body-jumping goddess figures, parental issues, spaceborn progenitor race, 'path to god' evil master plan by faceless old guys, backstabbing upstart who works for them, and it even has obvious budget problems at the end.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:55 pm

I think we can all agree that Xenogears is 9001 times better than any of the FF series. Well, excluding 6.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:27 pm

View Original PostThe Triforce Fighter wrote: Its just that from what I've read they where aiming for a different audience with this. Or maybe I am just bad at accepting change X D

I kind of like how they're screwing around with it. "Tried and true" is okay, but I like to see that they're experimenting with certain elements, if only a little. I liked XII for that same reason. Nostalgia fests are fun too, which is why I play IX like, once a year. :lol:

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:I think we can all agree that Xenogears is 9001 times better than any of the FF series. Well, excluding 6.

As long as you apply the Japanese voice/cutscene patch, then yeah, totally.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:26 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:On this forum, people should prefer the Megami Tensei series.

Persona 3 certainly has some head-shooting goodness.

But seriously, Final Fantasy is old and tired. They need to give it a rest.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:19 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:But seriously, Final Fantasy is old and tired. They need to give it a rest.

I agree with this, to a extent. They've been trying to keep up with the times by repeatedly revolutionizing their RPG system, and bringing something new to the genre, but they sometimes have complete misses. The Sphere Grid of X would have been better if it weren't so linear at first (and I'm curious as to how XIII's system has changed this). The Gambits of XII would have been better if they didn't make Magicks a pain in the ass to use. I really enjoyed the way characters learned abilities in IX, and I liked being able to switch out characters in the middle of battles like in X and XII. I think they may have been onto something with the real time action, like with Dirge of Cerberus and XII, but if they combined it more with the battle system of latest Star Ocean games, I think it could make the battle system a lot more exciting. The characters need to be more bold and stand-alone, such as with the older games, because I hated how dull, and unmemorable the characters of XII were.

Simply, FF needs to return to its roots, as well as pay more attention to what other RPGs are doing good.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:09 am

Have any of you guys seen Noah Antwiler's in-depth review (or rather complete verbal and visual destruction) of Final Fantasy VIII? Hilarious to the very end. And so very, very true:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2007/04/04/final-fantasy-viii-review-part-1/

The only thing he hates worse than VIII is X...which he has currently begun to tackle:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/03/11/it-begins-again/

And that's only the first installment. How long is he gonna last, folks?

Somehow, I get the feeling he won't much care for XIII, either. What with the characters in that one...

Sepulcural Voice
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Sepulcural Voice » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:07 am

I adore Spoony's reviews myself. I've never quite agreed with his overall assessment of FF8, but i've always thought they're some of the funniest shit around that i've seen from a review of that style.

Never played FFX but I'm really digging that review so far... hopefully he'll update with a new one soon.

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:49 am

I just took a look at those videos. They're hilarious! I look forward to what he says about X. It was my first FF, but I never liked it. Goodness knows what prompted me to play the other titles afterward.

Regarding XIII, I've totally changed my mind about Hope. :sweatdrop: Everyone's pretty much gotten better as the game's progressed. Except Vanille.

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:10 am

Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention this.

By about Part 5 or thereabouts, Spoony takes a dig at NGE (while possibly mispronouncing it intentionally, but whatever). This is during a quick retrospective on FFVII, where he discusses the negative impact it had not only on later installments in the series it but on gaming culture at large. Yep, you guessed it: the massive influx of mentally unstable anime fans. Specifically (in his words), 'those who thought Neon Genesis Evangelion was really deep.'

Please don't boycott his review or all the other material he's produced over the years based solely on this one quip. I actually forgot it was in there, myself. Believe me, this guy knows his stuff, and he's entitled to his own opinion. In fact, for all we know, he was probably referring to those fans who genuinely thought that NGE was trying to convey religious meaning (it wasn't) and other ill-conceived, crackpot ideas. Hell, there are a lot of things that piss me off about the show (see the laff riot that was the 'fanservice is evil' thread, featuring our mutual friend, J. Faulkner).

Just doing this as a forewarning to some of the more reactionary fans on this site, and also to cover my own ass as well. I'm not trolling, is all.

Anyway, back to the main event.

WonderBug
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WonderBug » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:48 am

Can't say that it bothered me. You have to laugh at yourself once in a while, right?

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:22 am

Damn straight.

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:44 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:On this forum, people should prefer the Megami Tensei series.

Another JRPG series would try out if only I could track the newest Persona game down for the PS2.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 pm

View Original PostThe Triforce Fighter wrote:Another JRPG series would try out if only I could track the newest Persona game down for the PS2.

Try Amazon, it's there.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Suddenly I miss my old PS2.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:42 pm

[quote="BrikHaus#344471"]Try Amazon, it's there.[/q]

Whoa, so they are. 3 AND 4. They both cost the Earth last time I checked on Play. Should I get both or just 4? (Sorry slightly off topic = P)

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:27 pm

If you are going to get Persona 3, get Persona 3 FES version. It's got about 30 more hours of gameplay and resolves the storyline better.
Awesomely Shitty

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm

I DL'd VII and VIII off of PSN about half a year ago, and haven't finished either. Plus I've still got XII on the back burner, and to tell the truth I'm not even tempted to shell out sixty bones for XIII. The only one that even really impressed me was X, if only because it was the first one I played.

And yes, SMT:Persona series is awesome. It took me half a year to beat the third one, and I'm still on 4.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”