Official Pokémon Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:04 am

The Pokemon Trading Card Game to get re-released on 3DS Virtual Console

It's only confirmed for Euro-land now but I'm sure NA will get it soon enough

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/nintendo_download_10th_july_europe

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Well here is the mega metargoss that we all wanted:

SPOILER: Show

Call me a crazy gundam fanatic but it reminds me of the transformed Aegis Gundam from SEED (bear hug plus hyper beam anyone?)

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:29 am

mega swampert seems like every man's dream bara fish husband :'3

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:10 am

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:mega swampert seems like every man's dream bara fish husband :'3

*googles*

When I was at a yaoi panel this past Anime Central, they went over bara yaoi, and what I saw at that panel did nothing for me at all and I just figured bara wasn't for me. But if that's considered bara, well, I guess it's not all bad.

Now you've got me thinking about Pokemon in a whole new way. Oh dear.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:16 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:*googles*

When I was at a yaoi panel this past Anime Central, they went over bara yaoi, and what I saw at that panel did nothing for me at all and I just figured bara wasn't for me. But if that's considered bara, well, I guess it's not all bad.

Now you've got me thinking about Pokemon in a whole new way. Oh dear.

>>>/vp/.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:>>>/vp/.

Doesn't load except for text and page architecture.

Also, angle brackets get stripped out so I didn't see them till I hit Quote. Commence chuckle.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:12 pm

I totally forgot about the angle brackets. :shinchair:
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Some more news, yay:

-New art for the first 5 gym leaders
-New art for the first 2 members of the elite 4
-If you look at Sidney, he has something on his left hand--it may be a mega stone
-The battle intro for the pokemon league seems to remain the same as xy (up close character art with some text)

Flannery is sooo kawaii~

Some more random things to note:

-Diancie seems to have a similar mega evolution to the new legendaries (with the stone appearing and all)
-Secret bases return and you can add people via street pass to battle them at any time
-You can make your own pokemon gym out of your base and distribute it via QR Codes so other people can challenge it
-Professor Birch returns (its also the same game intro with him being attacked and all)
-Mega metagross seems to retain his typing and gets the ability tough claws. He also gets a boost to his Attack, Sp Attack, Speed, Sp Defense and Defense when he mega evolves (cause apparently he wasn't tough enough before)
-Pikachu can dress up
-Contests return
-Pokemon Amie comes back
-And finally there will be new pokemon in this region. I think what they mean is that final evolutions of pokemon will be seen (for example Phoebe has a dusknoir even though it's a gen 4 evolution of a gen 3 pokemon)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 am

[Merged in from Currently Playing 4.]

Pokemon X/Y

What a fantastic reintroduction for the series! I swear, so much of the game seems to call back to the originals that I can't help but wonder if it was designed more so than its recent predecessors to lure back the first generation of Pokemon players who fell off the wagon. Or has every generation since Red/Blue let you catch a Pikachu in the game's first forest? And I've heard that I'll eventually get to select a Gen I starter -- though I haven't encountered this alleged feature yet, and I'm far enough into the game (just beat the first gym leader) to wonder if it was even true.

I bought both versions at that Best Buy two-for-one-on-select-games sale last Sunday. I had intended to buy Pokemon X and Bravely Default but they were all out of the latter as well as my second choice (the Kirby game), and what sealed my decision to pick up Y instead of going with the Yoshi game on offer (the only other game available for the deal) was seeing that the Yoshi game had a low Metacritic score.

I'm playing as a male trainer with a Fennekin (now a Braixen) on X and as a female trainer with a Froakie on Y. I chose such because X's theme color is blue and so is the male's outfit, and Y's theme color is red and so is the female's outfit. I've named the trainers Maxwell and Maybelle respectively. I chose their starters with the intention of eventually satisfying theme color requirements by getting a Squirtle for my X game and a Charmander for my Y game and having those be my "main" Pokemon for them thereafter. These are the kinds of things I put my effort and thought into when playing games.

I was a little disappointed to discover that it is apparently impossible to trade with yourself without a second 3DS, even with the Pokemon Bank service, but luckily I have a friend with a 3DS so I'll just borrow his to make my self-trades whenever he comes over. (He also has Pokemon Y himself so I can trade with him too.)

This is the first generation where I've wondered how the sales of the two versions compare. If I had to guess, I would imagine that Pokemon X would sell better than Pokemon Y because, y'know, it's the letter X, and yet it almost seems like Nintendo must have realized this and tried to make Y cooler by giving it the more attention-getting color and the awesomer-looking legendary on the cover. At the store where I bought these, there were no X versions left on the shelf (a guy had to get one for me from the back) but there were plenty of Y versions; I wonder if that means anything?
Last edited by Monk Ed on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
System Administrator

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I've heard that I'll eventually get to select a Gen I starter -- though I haven't encountered this alleged feature yet, and I'm far enough into the game (just beat the first gym leader) to wonder if it was even true.

You get the 2nd starter once you meet the professor at his lab.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 am

View Original PostStan wrote:You get the 2nd starter once you meet the professor at his lab.

:( I was purposefully deflating my expectations so that I would be even more thrilled when it happened. (And a friend did confirm that I will get the starter, but I didn't ask when and wanted it to be a surprise.)
System Administrator

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:43 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Pokemon X/Y

What a fantastic reintroduction for the series! I swear, so much of the game seems to call back to the originals that I can't help but wonder if it was designed more so than its recent predecessors to lure back the first generation of Pokemon players who fell off the wagon.

Good!
Now let's exchange Friend Codes so that I can see if your Friend Safari has good stuffs in it or junk in it.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I bought both versions at that Best Buy two-for-one-on-select-games sale last Sunday. I had intended to buy Pokemon X and Bravely Default but they were all out of the latter as well as my second choice (the Kirby game), and what sealed my decision to pick up Y instead of going with the Yoshi game on offer (the only other game available for the deal) was seeing that the Yoshi game had a low Metacritic score.

Shame that they didn't have a copy of Bravely Default as I probably would have gotten that over a second Pokemon game as well. Yes, it can be good to have both Pokemon games, but when Pokemon Bank only lets you register one... so yeah, sadly, no trading with yourself.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I'm playing as a male trainer with a Fennekin (now a Braixen) on X and as a female trainer with a Froakie on Y. I chose such because X's theme color is blue and so is the male's outfit, and Y's theme color is red and so is the female's outfit. I've named the trainers Maxwell and Maybelle respectively. I chose their starters with the intention of eventually satisfying theme color requirements by getting a Squirtle for my X game and a Charmander for my Y game and having those be my "main" Pokemon for them thereafter. These are the kinds of things I put my effort and thought into when playing games.

Why no Grass-type!?!?!?!!?

:yoda:
'Color requirements' bluh bluh bluh

Choose Grass-type, get girl
Good End

says person who picked Fennekin because friends chose the other two, and chose Bulbasaur but left it in the box after evolving because wanted to raise goat instead

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:This is the first generation where I've wondered how the sales of the two versions compare. If I had to guess, I would imagine that Pokemon X would sell better than Pokemon Y because, y'know, it's the letter X, and yet it almost seems like Nintendo must have realized this and tried to make Y cooler by giving it the more attention-getting color and the awesomer-looking legendary on the cover. At the store where I bought these, there were no X versions left on the shelf (a guy had to get one for me from the back) but there were plenty of Y versions; I wonder if that means anything?

Indeed Pokemon X proably sold better in part because of people preferring the letter 'X' over the letter 'Y', though I would wager it is also because the box art for X - and its associated legendary - are more appealing to players than those of Y.

Furthermore, in Australia at least, Pokemon X has been rated 'G' for General / all ages, whereas Pokemon Y is rated 'PG' for parental guidance recommended. You can attribute this to the fact that, if you haven't heard already, the storyline in Y is darker than that of X.
Voluntary Illusion.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:07 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Good!
Shame that they didn't have a copy of Bravely Default as I probably would have gotten that over a second Pokemon game as well. Yes, it can be good to have both Pokemon games, but when Pokemon Bank only lets you register one... so yeah, sadly, no trading with yourself.

Since writing that post I did do at least one trade with myself, using my friend's 3DS. :lol: In Y, I spent a long time trying to catch a Pikachu only to never encounter one (bad time of day?), but in X I encountered them so easily I caught two, one male and one female, so I traded the female one over to my Y game.

Speaking of this male/female business, it is so awesome to play this game and learn such things as that male and female Pokemon can have different appearances and that Pokemon can even have unknown genders. It's pleasing to witness the series evolve exactly as it should, steadily adding detail to the world and the Pokemon and throwing old notions for a loop. I even encountered a trainer ("Poké Fan Agnes") with three Pokemon of the exact same breed, all three of which looked very different! A far cry from the days when all Pokemon of the same breed looked exactly the same and didn't even have genders (except for Nidoran, which reminds me to try to look up some time whether Nidorans male and female are still considered separate Pokedex entries).

Why no Grass-type!?!?!?!!?

Grass type gets the honor of the third and most superior game in the generation when it inevitably comes out. I'm doing the same for my run of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Oh yeah, speaking of which: just yesterday I started Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire as well. The simpler graphics, maps, and mechanics are not only a big nostalgia trip but charming in their own right, and it's a thrill to finally get in on the first generation that I skipped oh so long ago, now with the benefit of a nice big screen (my TV, on which I played my first session), full backlighting, and (most importantly) fast-forwarding, which is going to really speed up my playthrough and minimize the amount of net lifetime I'll have to sacrifice to these games, thereby justifying my delay in playing them. :kaos_victory:

I'm playing as the female trainer on Ruby (which is going to be my main game of the gen), and the male on Sapphire. Naturally, I named the female May, even though it wasn't one of the default suggestions, and I was pleased to see that when you play as the male the unchosen female's name defaults to that. However, I didn't name my male trainer Brendan even though that's what his name defaults to when you play female; I decided ultimately that he looked a lot more like a Seth, so I went with that, was happy, and never looked back. Besides, when I play as him I don't feel like I'm playing "Brendan" because I don't know "Brendan", but I know May from watching the show so it's cool both to play as her in one game and watch her be her own independent spirit in the other. (It's weird that the characters' entire histories change depending on who you choose to play as though, with May being Birch's daughter in one game and the gym leader's in the other. The same in X and Y for that matter, with my chosen male trainer being the Rhyhorn racer's son in one game and the next-door neighbor in the other.)

Indeed Pokemon X proably sold better in part because of people preferring the letter 'X' over the letter 'Y', though I would wager it is also because the box art for X - and its associated legendary - are more appealing to players than those of Y.

Er... Really? X's legendary is a frickin' deer (albeit reminiscent of the creature from Princess Mononoke to me but that's not a connection I expect the general public to make), Y's legendary looks like a badass flying kaiju.

Furthermore, in Australia at least, Pokemon X has been rated 'G' for General / all ages, whereas Pokemon Y is rated 'PG' for parental guidance recommended. You can attribute this to the fact that, if you haven't heard already, the storyline in Y is darker than that of X.

Ooo! I did not hear about this at all. Innnteresting. That almost makes me regret my choice of trainer -- poor dainty-looking Maybelle is going to experience the darker story than the more adventurous-looking Maxwell. Or maybe that's exactly what will make it more delicious :devil:. It's probably not going to be that drastic of a difference anyway; I mean, what the hell does "darker" even mean in such a kid-friendly series? And I tend to disagree with people about how dark a story or setting actually is anyway. S'all in the details.
System Administrator

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:58 am

Super Pokémon: Eevee edition.

You know, for a game with a title that could have just as easily come from a three year old's mouth as a seasoned game dev, it's really quite fun. The mixture of an entirely 4th wall breaking story, which is really quite interesting as a purely contextual experience for the 3rd gen of pikemenn, as well as a combat system stripped entirely from FF, makes for quite an interesting experience.

Definitely the deepest pokémon game I've ever played.
Leave Shinji alone

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 am

I was honestly disappointed by X. I liked it, but it was no match for the sheer genius that was generation 5.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:45 pm

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:09 pm

New Mega Evolutions have been revealed for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire:

1-Mega Altaria: Dragon/Fairy: Ability Pixilate

2-Mega Lopunny: Normal/Fighting: Ability Scrappy

3-Mega Salamence: Dragon/Flying: Ability Aerilate

In other news, you can mega evolve during contests, you change your clothing for contests, and shiny Beldum with a mega stone will be distributed via an event (I'm guessing upon release of the games reminiscent of the Torchic for x/y). It's also interesting that a mega evolution of a gen 4 pokemon was shown, which no longer limits us to gen 3 pokemon only. Since we won't be getting gen 2 remakes any time soon, I think there is a good chance the gen 2 starters will get mega forms in these games--but thats just speculation.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:37 pm

My Pokéwaifu has a mega-evolution now. I'm proud of her.
/hj

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:My Pokéwaifu has a mega-evolution now. I'm proud of her.

They should make Lopunny a female exclusive evolution kinda like Gardevoir

update: here is a pic of the male trainer without a hat, forever denying us any belief that the white stuff was ever hair to begin with.

Last edited by Stan on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm starting to worry they won't be making any new evolutions anymore, since they're giving so many Pokemon mega-evolutions.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”