Video games that jumped the shark

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:49 pm

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:Every Sonic game between Heroes and Generations (excluding those two and the original platformer types). I mean, seriously, Sonic Riders, Secret Rings, 2006 (etc.) were just so out there. 2006 was kind of OK plot-wise, but I found that the controls felt kind of odd and some of the missions are very exacting. But the rest were seriously a no-go IMO.

It's never a good sign when the one of alumni that founded Sonic Team left the company, during the production of one game, because of a desire to move on, while another left much earlier than that due to creative differences.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Final Fantasy.

The last good game was X for the PS 2. Ever since then, each game has gotten progressively worse. The series is fucked and needs a hard reboot.

Fixed your typo(s).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 pm

I agree with Brik. I disliked X immensely, but strangely enough, I found XII to be very enjoyable.

VI-IX is where it's at though for FF, I reckon.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Have to agree with Monk Ed, with his latest post. I was rather fond of X.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 pm

It comes down to a folks/strokes thing ultimately, as with most things.

I have noticed though with those who love X is mostly because that was their first FF game. It pulled in a large new audience being one of the first PS2 titles. I can remember this being the case for my group of friends at school at the time. Another mate and I were huge fans, having played from VII, and then having downloaded emulators to play earlier instalments - Then everyone else who got a PS2 when they came out picked up FFX, and the mania ensued.

Of course, there are long-lived die-hard FF fans who love X to bits. But in my experience they don't rate it higher than the VI-IX sequence (And even VII and VIII usually get the most love there).

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Fixed your typo(s).

HAHAHAHA

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Dude, open six of those on youtube repeat. You get a flock of Titus seagulls.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 pm

You know, the bad voice acting there was done on purpose by the characters....
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:39 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Dude, open six of those on youtube repeat. You get a flock of Titus seagulls.

Glorious. Truly glorious, haha.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Dude, open six of those on youtube repeat. You get a flock of Titus seagulls.

Plus a girl laughing nervously as the Titus-gulls try to bite her toes off.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:The N64 games were some of the best platformers I've ever played. As far as I'm concerned, Nuts & Bolts never happened.

Super Mario Bros 3 didn't jump the shark, per se, but it definitely jumped the big fish.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:It comes down to a folks/strokes thing ultimately, as with most things.

Well, obviously.
I have noticed though with those who love X is mostly because that was their first FF game. It pulled in a large new audience being one of the first PS2 titles. I can remember this being the case for my group of friends at school at the time. Another mate and I were huge fans, having played from VII, and then having downloaded emulators to play earlier instalments - Then everyone else who got a PS2 when they came out picked up FFX, and the mania ensued.

Wasn't true in my case at least. VII was my first, and my favorite for a long, long time. I also played VI at least a year before X even came out (didn't finish it though). X didn't even become my favorite at its release. I loved it dearly, but I considered it merely "great", not at the same level as VII. I think I was in college some 6 years later when I played it again after a long absence and it grew gradually into my favorite.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 am

The last good game was IX for the PS 1. Ever since then, each game has gotten progressively worse. The series is fucked and needs a hard reboot.

I agree, although X and XII work well for different reasons (story for one, game play for the latter). XIII, from what I can tell, is where they really jumped the sharked, and no one really cares about XI. XIII versus is supposed to redeem XIII (haha), but yes, they should really get off their asses and come up with a solid game soon, otherwise just end the series entirely. ("FINAL FANTASY XV-3: THE FINAL FANTASY RETURNS")
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:56 am

4-6 + tactics: that is all you need to know about final fantasy. Anything earlier than that and it's been done better elsewhere, and anything later is just the multimedia equivalent of an emo teen's poetry journal.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 am

But surely IX and XII would be the exceptions to "emo teen's poetry journal"?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 am

I didn't get off the first disk of 9 before I sold it back to gamestop and haven't touched another in the series since (not counting remakes like FF4DS and sequels like The After Years). What little I've seen or heard of them tells me this is for the best.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Can't believe they did that... B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:02 am

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:And [s]Star Wars Battlefront 3.[/s] Rogue Squadron 4 I want my [s]land-[/s] space battles dammit!

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Fixed your typo(s).

A Spoony Bastard cries "nay"

The last good game was IX for the PS 1. Ever since then, each game has gotten progressively worse. The series is fucked and needs a hard reboot.

Weren't they making one with more direct parallels with reality? When I saw the trailers, it sort of seemed like Darkness. Was that Versus?

Anyway, Command & Conquer Red Alert 3... but oh what a jump it was. For a truly bad example, see Command & Conquer Generals, when EA tried to take the series in the Total Annihilation direction and gave the GLA terrorists everything but a plane you could crash into buildings.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:00 pm

The Tomb Raider series is still in flight over the shark since it took off with the fourth game.

Oh, and on the subject of female gaming icons: i'm surprised no one mentioned Metroid yet. I never played with any of the games, but it seems to be a common opinion that Other M was some sort of franchise holocaust.

I also heard less than endearing things about the later Silent Hill games, but i only ever played with 2, so what do i know.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Kasowaree
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kasowaree » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:I also heard less than endearing things about the later Silent Hill games, but i only ever played with 2, so what do i know.

Yeah a lot of people see Homecoming as the Jump the Shark game given it's attention to combat and including a bunch of things from the the movie. Personally I like Homecoming not as much as the first three but good.

Now Origin that was a piece of shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAi4izfvXo4 Chameleon Circuit - An Awful Lot of Running
Scott Shaw Still A Massive Doucebag
I can now honestly say I've beaten vileSpanishiwa

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I didn't get off the first disk of 9 before I sold it back to gamestop and haven't touched another in the series since (not counting remakes like FF4DS and sequels like The After Years). What little I've seen or heard of them tells me this is for the best.

Never understood why there's no love for IX :headscratch:....... VII - X are the bestest (VIII being my personal fav)

Btw....i gave up looking for KH3 loooong time ago. NEVA EVA will we see another KH :shakehead:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”