Video games that jumped the shark

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:54 am

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Dare I say....MGS2 & MGS4

MGS4, gameplay-wise, is my favorite in the series. Mostly for its controls. But MGS3 is close behind and far better in pretty much all other areas. It still has a special nostalgic place in my heart. MGS3 has been remade or remastered I don't know how many times but it saddens me that a version has yet to be made that controls like MGS4 does. (Peace Walker HD doesn't count. Peace Walker was also fantastic, but was fundamentally a different experience from MGS3. All the things you can't do in PW that you could in MGS3 annoy me.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Man I'm like the complete opposite of you in regards to controls. I absolutely HATED MGS4's, and found them very counter-intuitive and hard to get used to. And yet I can still pick up MGS3 or MGS2 any day.

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed 2 & 4 but my favorites will always be 1 & 3.

Also im gonna say that Saints Row 3 jumped the shark.
*sigh* just kill me already.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Also im gonna say that Saints Row 3 jumped the shark.

Yes, they did indeed. I hate to agree with Yahtzee, but SR2 really was superior to SR3, much more content, sure, SR3 attracted more interest in the IP, but SR3 certainly wasn't a finished product by any means.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Silent Hill 5.

You can tell in the first ten minutes that all the people who made Silent Hill's magic work aren't there anymore.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Talking about MGS.

Will I find you on the PC version of MGSGZ/MGS5 when it comes out?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Yes, they did indeed. I hate to agree with Yahtzee, but SR2 really was superior to SR3, much more content, sure, SR3 attracted more interest in the IP, but SR3 certainly wasn't a finished product by any means.

Exactly less content,less gangs and a lame story cant wait for GTA V though.
*sigh* just kill me already.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:28 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Will I find you on the PC version of MGSGZ/MGS5 when it comes out?

PC version? Who said there'd even be one?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm gonna upset a lot of people here...

But I thought FFXIII was pretty good, and I LOVED Sonic Riders.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:50 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I'm gonna upset a lot of people here...

But I thought FFXIII was pretty good

Mh, I'm not terribly far into it, but it's certainly not terrible...

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:and I LOVED Sonic Riders.

You lost me.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:29 pm

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:Mh, I'm not terribly far into it, but it's certainly not terrible...

Yeah. FFXIII is pretty decent. I'm pretty far but I have not had the time to complete it yet. I have found it pretty easy though... I only have had trouble with like two bosses.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 pm

FF13 isn't decent at all, and is quite bad in fact. Bad characterization + completely unexplained critical plot details + 30 hour tutorial tutorial that leaves you with little to no control over your party + most linear map design and gameplay progression in all of FF + terrible implementation of ATB system (Your own character will walk into AOE attacks ffs, and you have absolutely zero control of their movements) + double deus ex machina ending + terrible direction in general add together into a bad bad bad bad baaaaaaaad game.

And not even bad in a "save the president" way, but bad as in a legitimately terrible way.

EDIT:

But hey at the same time I also love plenty of stuff I also think is legitimately bad, so oh well.
Last edited by The Killer of Heroes on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rena
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rena » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 pm

The Spyro the Dragon series after the PS1 games.

I die a little bit inside when I see little kids fawning over Skylanders. I feel like shouting to them "You're being scammed into buying figurines! Play the original games!"

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:13 pm

I love the original trilogy, and Skylanders. I haven't played Legend of Spyro, and i don't like the rest.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am

A Hero's Tail wasn't that bad, if you ask me.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:09 am

I forgot about Hero's Tail. That game's great,
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:32 am

I want to say Sonic since Sonic Adventure 2. The game wasn't fun. It started the whole fancharacters thing the fanbase is known for and had an unnecessary complicated storyline. Oddly enough, I love Shadow the Hedgehog for the gamecube. The games since then have been mediocre to flat out horrible. Secret Rings was to me unplayable, 06 was just easy. Unleashed had the poor concept of adding a God of war gameplay element that just wasn't needed at all. It did got better in Colors. I heard that they really didn't care but I guess they hired a new guy or they really did start caring. I do respect them for keeping up using the Daytime gameplay.

Kingdom Hearts is an odd case. I think it was CoM which started to whole nobodies stroyline. The original game had the band of Disney villains and a guy named Ansem as the main antagonists. Then the Nobodies come in and now there are multiple versions of the main villain and it just became a complete mess. However, you still want to know what happens next.

View Original PostRena wrote:The Spyro the Dragon series after the PS1 games.

I die a little bit inside when I see little kids fawning over Skylanders. I feel like shouting to them "You're being scammed into buying figurines! Play the original games!"

I mostly loved the 2nd and 3rd game. As for Skylanders, I think its really just a different franchise with Spyro as a selling point really. I think the idea is ok for a "mons" series but I'm not sure how popular it is. I would try it out but theres too much money for it and I'm not that interested in it.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:17 am

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:I want to say Sonic since Sonic Adventure 2. The game wasn't fun. It started the whole fancharacters thing the fanbase is known for and had an unnecessary complicated storyline. Oddly enough, I love Shadow the Hedgehog for the gamecube. The games since then have been mediocre to flat out horrible. Secret Rings was to me unplayable, 06 was just easy. Unleashed had the poor concept of adding a God of war gameplay element that just wasn't needed at all. It did got better in Colors. I heard that they really didn't care but I guess they hired a new guy or they really did start caring. I do respect them for keeping up using the Daytime gameplay.

Kingdom Hearts is an odd case. I think it was CoM which started to whole nobodies stroyline. The original game had the band of Disney villains and a guy named Ansem as the main antagonists. Then the Nobodies come in and now there are multiple versions of the main villain and it just became a complete mess. However, you still want to know what happens next.

I mostly loved the 2nd and 3rd game. As for Skylanders, I think its really just a different franchise with Spyro as a selling point really. I think the idea is ok for a "mons" series but I'm not sure how popular it is. I would try it out but theres too much money for it and I'm not that interested in it.

From what I hear, Sonic Generations is a massive (and I do mean massive) step in the right direction, so I recommend picking it up.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”