So...Amanda Winn Lee

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:47 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:some of the experiences she's had in this forum alone sucked mightily, and there's no excuse for that kind of shit when you're talking about a fucking cartoon.

Which one is she? Or is she gone from the Jupiter Mission onward?
Also, thou art correct, hentai ought limit itself to standard perversions.

And I had assumed that the Good Sir who claimed to have said the said thing was joking when he said that he had said the said thing.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:23 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Yeah of the three dub actors for the children, i think she's easily the one who does her character best.
I seriously don't see what's great about Amanda Winn Lee as Rei, to me she seems too over the top, like she's trying way too hard to sound withheld and mysterious. In my book Brina Palencia is the better Rei.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 pm

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:I seriously don't see what's great about Amanda Winn Lee as Rei, to me she seems too over the top, like she's trying way too hard to sound withheld and mysterious. In my book Brina Palencia is the better Rei.

Do you really think this is the right moment or place to say this?

Also, thou art correct, hentai ought limit itself to standard perversions.

I died :lol:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Well it is a topic on Mrs Winn Lee and her Ayanami voice was mentioned, so I decided to post my two cents.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Well, after what happened on this forum I can't blame her for being touchy.
Last edited by Fireball on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Well, after what happened on this forum I can't blame here for being touchy.

I suppose that was all before my time. What exactly went down?
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:I suppose that was all before my time. What exactly went down?

It was before mine, too. I'd be interested in hearing the story as well.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:19 pm

It was bad. People were banned -- not temp-banned, banned from the site altogether. Think about how often you've seen that happen since you've been here, and you'll get an idea of how bad it got.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:21 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:I suppose that was all before my time. What exactly went down?

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/12071/The-AWL-Incident/

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:22 pm

And to answer your question, Gainax had final approval over every single frame of that movie so ask them.

Yeah, and did the Japanese production crew realise what Black Hyuga sounded like to a western audience? How flatly Fuyutski delivers his lines? The whole 'hit em again' thing? Were Gainax expliticly asked if it was OK for ADV to start adding lines in? And what about that bloody commentary? Yeah, you don't have to treat the material with reverence, but fucking about and blatant misinformation?

I know she's harshly treated and having to answer for things 10-15 years ago. But someone needs to show her some of these things and go 'Really? You think this is OK? Can you not see why people might criticise it'

That said, the phrasing of the question was inflammatory. It could have been phrased any number of ways like
"Were there any disagreements with Gainax over the dub?'
or
"Did you have to change anything in the dub at Gainax's request?"

Having said THAT, maybe, just maybe, if she at *some point* had simply gone 'Yeah, we were short of time and money, we were relatively inexperienced, we tried our best but we fucked up' or something it wouldnt be a big deal. Its this continued defensiveness thats the problem.

Well, after what happened on this forum I can't blame here for being touchy.

Agreed. But the insults she makes are unnecessary.

And to answer the original question:
has she always been this...eccentric?

Well...it depends what you mean by eccentric

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:32 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Having said THAT, maybe, just maybe, if she at *some point* had simply gone 'Yeah, we were short of time and money, we were relatively inexperienced, we tried our best but we fucked up' or something it wouldnt be a big deal. Its this continued defensiveness thats the problem.

That's a good point. I mean, I think her touchiness is justified, but you're right to note that she could have defused the criricism long ago if she'd tried a different approach to dealing with it.

Gotta give her credit, that was pretty cool. It's almost as good as Grant's lines in the AU sequence in 26.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Cannot!! UNSEE!!!!
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I didn't realize the extent of some of the negativity Amanda Winn Lee had received in the past.

I still think can't quite agree with how she responds to criticisms, but why she does so in that way makes more sense to me.

That Pen-Pen, always being a playa.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 pm

A playa indeed because later that same year...

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:05 pm

To give you some sort of context here, basically during that period AWL was completely off the rails. She was somewhat.....notorious...at conventions I'm led to believe. She's calmed down considerably in more recent times.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Is it just me or some of the posts in here are mocking Amanda Winn Lee? I honestly can't tell.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:48 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I think this more so pertains to people who feel the need to bitch out those like Amanda Winn Lee and other creators/dubbing people etc. over what they perceive to be a flaw in whatever it was they did.

Like you guys literally don't have anything else better to do? Look, no matter how much people like AWL get bitched out, you're not gonna end up changing ANYTHING, so just enjoy whatever you're watching for what it is, flaws and all and don't be a fucking prick about it.

And that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold says so.

AMEN!!!

Anyway...she was right for being pissy. I know i would be. I'm pretty sure she isn't the first to have an outburst. She's just more vocal about it.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 am

LMFAO. I wonder if she had a couple drinks beforehand.

.....And yeah, I saw the whole AWL incident unfold during the time i lurked these forums a couple years ago. I was extremely close to registering at that time just so I could cry WTF?!?!? and verbally bash the person.

Thankfully, I'm sure the majority of this forum has more self control and tact than said guilty party. The whole fiasco is still a glaringly black mark on this forum, unfortunately...... those few fuckin' bad apples, y'know?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Is it just me or some of the posts in here are mocking Amanda Winn Lee? I honestly can't tell.

In this thread? Not really. Questioning her past actions maybe, but not mocking.

I linked that video as evidence that she was and has been...something of a loose cannon. Compared at least to others involved in the Eva Dub. Im sure Spike and Tiff get their fair share of fanboy rantings laid at their door but you dont see them acting...well, like that *points up*.

You know what the best way for to have handled that question IMO?
"Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful. Next question."
Guaranteed round of applause.

And the whole 'I get $50 an hour and no residuals' thing sticks in my craw. Yeah OK VA work isnt regular work, isnt well paid and all but other members of the voice cast have fielded that issue better. Its never good to make with the 'woe is me' in a job that most people in anime would give their right arm for.

I direct you to the 2.0 panel with Spencer, Tatum, Nishimura and Palencia on that front and generally how to be with rabid eva fans. Witness in particular Brina's response when theres some grumblings about her not watching the original series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Nae-EKiJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfSIlL1sqjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-D2SmZDcIU
"Dude Relax! It's just a cartoon!"
"Nooooooooooo"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”