What's the worst Eva fanfic you've ever read?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:08 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:There are bishops who have hid paedophile priests that are less wastes of oxygen than Modaetei. I hope he gets beaten to death by a gang of dildo-wielding radfems.

Good Sir, I wish this forum had things such as Rep and Thank you buttons.

Doublegee
Lilith

Postby Doublegee » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:13 pm

So, about this seahorse king...
Bob Dole doesn't have to take this kind of crap! Bob Dole is a cyborg!

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:29 pm

View Original PostDoublegee wrote:So, about this seahorse king...

Bro I'm telling you, you really don't want to read that stuff.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:42 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Minutes? Try longer than that, much longer.

Nuke-kun can't wait forever, you know. The longest he got knocked out of commission was for the month after I played Katawa Shoujo. So many feels in that game...

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:56 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Nuke-kun can't wait forever, you know. The longest he got knocked out of commission was for the month after I played Katawa Shoujo. So many feels in that game...

Jesus Christ, man, a whole month? The last time I went close to that long was my freshman year of college and that was necessitated by figuring out when it would be more than certain my roommate wouldn't come back from wherever he was. Though I had some close calls after the fact.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:07 pm

How do you expect a man to :fap: after Emi's route, man? :shinji_boohoo:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:14 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:How do you expect a man to :fap: after Emi's route, man? :shinji_boohoo:

Emi was my first and favorite route, meaning she's the waifu for me, but a whole month?
When your balls are blue, they need tenderness too.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:11 pm

I find wishing actual death upon a mere author far more disturbing than the author's fictional material...

Most disturbing thing I've read in this topic.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:20 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I find wishing actual death upon a mere author far more disturbing than the author's fictional material...

Most disturbing thing I've read in this topic.

Yeah, gotta agree. Modaetei is definitelly disturbing, but get some perspective peeps.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:51 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Actually, Shinji is a heroic, determined person whose first instinct is to put himself before others even when it hurts him. Some people miss the point of his character, which is that his self loathing is largely undeserved and many of his problems would go away and he would be much happier if he wasn't so focused on his own sadness and trying to please a man who's not worthy of his respect and love.

You have to dig deep to find the heroic stuff. Just look at how long it took me. Most people don't want that kind of commitment in their fanfiction (both readers and authors). And specially not in most of the stuff on this list.

As for a certain horse king from the sea ... see what you did people? You couldn't just be like the mob: you see nothing, hear nothing and, most importantly, you say nothing.

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:10 pm

But we can be like mob in other aspects: We find him, we break his legs as a warning :lol:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:15 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:But we can be like mob in other aspects: We find him, we break his legs as a warning :lol:

He'll be sleeping with the fishes and by fishes I mean other Sea horses.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:00 am

View Original PostRommel wrote:You have to dig deep to find the heroic stuff. Just look at how long it took me. Most people don't want that kind of commitment in their fanfiction (both readers and authors). And specially not in most of the stuff on this list.

As for a certain horse king from the sea ... see what you did people? You couldn't just be like the mob: you see nothing, hear nothing and, most importantly, you say nothing.

The fault is mine and mine alone. I will learn, one of these days.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:04 am

Any other bad fics besides Father that try to be touching but wind up sucking?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:How's this for a new twist on the topic: How about really really bad fics that are actually trying to be sweet and happy but completely fuck it up and make something that's just sappy and saccharine and bad? That's a great way to get away from all this talk of KoAS and Modaetai!

Ages ago, there was this fic I read called Nephilim...

Alright, alright, I get it already! Sheesh, beat on a dead horse some more, why dontcha? :lol:
Trust me, I'll be the first to join you in saying that it's crap and should probably be redone from the ground up...but I haven't the heart anymore for such a project, a shrug of ambivalence. I have moved on from it.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:As with everything, it's all in the execution. When I read that summary I thought "That sounds hilarious". People often make fun of fics (or works generally) by summarizing them in a way that makes them sound ridiculous, offensive, boring, or whatever it is that the fun-maker wants to portray, but really, you can do that with just about anything.

But everything I've heard about Father is that said execution is bad.

This. It had such good intentions...then fucked them up royally by going just a little too far into "super-happy-happy-land-of-WAFF-and-sunshine".

If you read it purely for amusement value, however (much like was done with the FFS), it's a laugh-and-a-half. Just so many bad and overdone tropes...I want to chuckle just remembering it.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:57 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Alright, alright, I get it already! Sheesh, beat on a dead horse some more, why dontcha? :lol:

When was the last time I even mentioned it? :headscratch: I don't even remember the last time I mentioned it on EGF.
Trust me, I'll be the first to join you in saying that it's crap and should probably be redone from the ground up...but I haven't the heart anymore for such a project, a shrug of ambivalence. I have moved on from it.

It doesn't need to be redone. The fact that it even exists is testament to a kind of courage and perseverance I envy, because I have yet to finish a single personal project I have ever set out to do. And you know what keeps holding me back? supreme laziness but also The fear of failure -- the fear of making something that's crap that someone will say is crap and might even get made fun of. The same way I can't accept anything less than an A for a grade, I can't stand to produce anything I think won't get the highest of praise from at least the kind of crowd whose opinions I'd care about. And so I keep revising and revising, and keeping my ear to the ground, and losing heart when it seems like any part of the thing I'm writing sounds like anything anyone else has said anything bad about, and coming back each spring-summer to the same thing again with renewed vigor and "fuck what they'll say"-itude only to repeat the cycle, never able to just go and finish the damn thing no matter what the latest opinions were that I read in the Fanfiction subforum about whether this or that or whatever is overdone or terrible or a sign of a terrible writer even though ten months or even ten minutes later somebody else whose opinion I respect just as much will probably rebut the other person's entire thesis and I'll smile and feel relieved but then maybe at some other time they'll say something else that sets me on the whole cycle again and it just, never, ends!

So yeah, far as I'm concerned, it's perfect.
System Administrator

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:29 am

I feel the exact same way and the reason why I didn't finish any of my works.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:56 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:When was the last time I even mentioned it? :headscratch: I don't even remember the last time I mentioned it on EGF.

No, but you've mentioned your...dislike of it a few times elsewhere (that one forum SSD ran a few years back, for instance). It was a comment meant in jest, that's all.

It doesn't need to be redone. The fact that it even exists is testament to a kind of courage and perseverance I envy, because I have yet to finish a single personal project I have ever set out to do. And you know what keeps holding me back? supreme laziness but also The fear of failure -- the fear of making something that's crap that someone will say is crap and might even get made fun of. The same way I can't accept anything less than an A for a grade, I can't stand to produce anything I think won't get the highest of praise from at least the kind of crowd whose opinions I'd care about. And so I keep revising and revising, and keeping my ear to the ground, and losing heart when it seems like any part of the thing I'm writing sounds like anything anyone else has said anything bad about, and coming back each spring-summer to the same thing again with renewed vigor and "fuck what they'll say"-itude only to repeat the cycle, never able to just go and finish the damn thing no matter what the latest opinions were that I read in the Fanfiction subforum about whether this or that or whatever is overdone or terrible or a sign of a terrible writer even though ten months or even ten minutes later somebody else whose opinion I respect just as much will probably rebut the other person's entire thesis and I'll smile and feel relieved but then maybe at some other time they'll say something else that sets me on the whole cycle again and it just, never, ends!

So yeah, far as I'm concerned, it's perfect.

:gasp:

...wow.

I never expected anything I did would ever engender such a reaction. I always thought I was just another fanatic shouting in a vacuum, a voice among many yet still voiceless in larger matters.

I think the real thing is that I never wrote for anyone else's benefit, just mine. If I had been doing this trying to get good reviews? Yeah, I'd never get a frickin' thing done (yes, even less than my semi-hibernating status seems to imply).

Thanks, Ed. You've given me something to think on this day.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Executive Washington
Embryo

Postby Executive Washington » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm going to have to say "Genesis and Requiem", which has been recently published on March 18th. It has been two chapters in, and it only receives one favorite and two follows, which means that its bad. The reason why I don't like this fanfic is primarily the formatting.

The formatting is fucking awful. Every sentence seems to be indented or in a paragraph. Also, the author's note, if it should really be called one advertises for a petition to stop SOPA. I think the SOPA bullshit has passed...

Anyway, go take a look at this fanfic and see what you think. Its a self insert as well, while the genre itself may not be necessary bad, there's so many bad fanfics in this genre that its reputation seems to be tainted.

[url]https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10198182/1/Genesis-and-Requiem[/url]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:56 pm

^I read as far as 'reborn into the world of Evangelion', a few fragments after that, and that was enough to drive me away. It's not the worst writing I've seen but I didn't like the way the author tries to self-insert by claiming they've been 'reborn' rather than just placing themselves in the role of a character. I'm not sure if they actually believe that or if it's just meant to add a new twist to it, but it just felt contrived and a bit creepy.

And then there was the rather unnecessary description of how she died, which I found was rather vivid considering that she can't remember her original name. The formatting is weird, although at least it's better than throwing it all into a huge block paragraph.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Fanfiction”