Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:21 pm

Cabin Fever (2002)

Hadn't seen it in years but was very impressed. It's a grindhouse phenomenon which makes Eli Roth's other blood and gore works like Hostel and The Green Inferno miss the mark in telling a good story that can keep the viewer invested. Have to give props to Rider Strong growing a pair in the last third and kicking ass all over the place including hurting Deputy Winston who was funny in his own right. Never did like the pancakes kid though.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Rewatched One Hour Photo... for "research"... :bigeyes:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:13 pm

The Terminator:
Say what you will about the Terminator Franchise going downhill. The first movie is still an enjoyable gut punching grimy action movie.

Everything here has a real texture to it. And it shows James Cameron's genius as a director. How he was able to get so much emotion and scale from such an obviously low budget production.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dev-iated
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dev-iated » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Arrival is my favorite film of this decade. I now believe Blade Runner 2049 to be in the most competent of hands. <3

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:31 pm

+1 for Arrival, somewhere between 8/10 and 9/10 for me.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:39 pm

I have heard great things about Arrival, and I should really make some time to watch it.

Right now, I'm watching 'The Siege at Jadotville,' which is available on Netflix. A fairly average war movie with very good performances, and about a criminally unknown (and for a long time, purposely ignored) moment in African and Irish history.

It is about (in my opinion as a military officer) one of the finest examples of infantry defensive engagements in modern warfare, and one of the finest moments of the Irish Army (even though the Irish government deliberately kept mum about it for years out of embarrassment: it was a surrender of an Irish Army unit. A surrender after an action that saw no Irish deaths, but the deaths of 300 attacking mercenaries, and a surrender only after there were no more bullets to fight with).

Good movie, and brilliant action.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:43 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Right now, I'm watching 'The Siege at Jadotville,' which is available on Netflix. A fairly average war movie with very good performances, and about a criminally unknown (and for a long time, purposely ignored) moment in African and Irish history.

It is about (in my opinion as a military officer) one of the finest examples of infantry defensive engagements in modern warfare, and one of the finest moments of the Irish Army (even though the Irish government deliberately kept mum about it for years out of embarrassment: it was a surrender of an Irish Army unit. A surrender after an action that saw no Irish deaths, but the deaths of 300 attacking mercenaries, and a surrender only after there were no more bullets to fight with).

Good movie, and brilliant action.

Watched that myself last week. Indeed a solid war film.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:26 pm

My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Friendship Games

Of the three MLP Equestria Girls entries I have seen so far, this one is hands down my most favorite. The new Twilight is such an underdog that it's hard not to root for her in every obstacle. Sunset getting to be a voice of reason when Twilight turns evil at the behest of her mean principal and schoolmates was a sequence of events that struck me as memorable with definite repeat value.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:43 am

Watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It was overwhelmingly average. Between the bloated runtime, overreliance on special effects, overabundance of plotlines that served only to make the whole thing even more confusing, the token "because DIVERSITY!" black woman magic president (in fucking 1920S AMERICA), and the supposed "villain" whose main claim to his Evil CardTM was shockingly silly hair, it committed the ultimate cinema crime of just being boring. Not shockingly bad, but just...dull.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:53 pm

The Girl Next Door is still the best teen sex comedy of all time.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:29 am

With my Thanksgiving postponed until tomorrow due to family troubles, my mom made me and a family friend watch 2 movies: Room 237 and Matchstick Men.

The former is a doc on theories surrounding Kubrick's The Shining. Many of the theories range from plausible to flawed to outright hilarious (A man thinks that there's signs that Kubrick gave hints in his struggle to keep it a secret that he directed the moon landing). But there was never a dull moment and always fascinating...just don't watch it if you're a huge fan of the book; you will shit your pants in anger.

Matchstick Man was, for the most part, a simply told story, and for a while, I was getting bored with it, even during the exciting moments and even with the likable characters and great performances from Nicolas Cage and Allison Lohman as a con man discovering he's the father of a goofy 14-year-old, I knew it was going...then, halfway through the third act, it pulls a great twist that changes the course of the film. Maybe I'll revisit it sometime in the future, but for now, good solid movie.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Had a double feature with my mom (The first in my life) and the two movies were Nocturnal Animals and Arrival.

The former had lots of potential: pretty good cast and solid story; should've have led to a solid psychological thriller. Turns out, it was pretty bad. For one that's all about the relationship between the ex-wife and the writer, we hardly get any scenes with them, and the scenes they are in seem hamfisted in. Thus, when the writer's story is all about proving his ex-wife wrong about the kind of person he is, it fails to get me invested. Such a loss of potential.

Thankfully, Arrival was much better; pretty fantastic actually. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for a good psychological sci-fi flick, but this one kept me invested. The scenes with the aliens were breathtaking, the ways it showed how different countries were reacting to the aliens was great (Especially a conservative radio host with the energy of Alex Jones and ideas of Rush Limbaugh spewing out bullshit). I don't want to say much since much of it has to be seen, but trust me, this is a great film.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:06 pm

EVIL DEAD 2

It's surreal seeing Bruce Campbell so young. It's all so real surreal to see him Hamming it up so much, he's always been a bit of a Cheesy over-the-top actor but you can tell here he's not really in character he just Bruce Campbell Hamming it up.

There's also a really and not a lot of character development for Ash or the other characters that get killed. The characters really exist just to serve as meat to get knocked off.

Some of the scares in this movie hold up. Such as the witch grabbing the hillbilly truck driver and dragging him into the basement. But more scares come off as Charming because you can see all the love and care they put into things like the stop motion and the puppets.

I also really enjoyed most of this movie made me laugh the reason I like this movie's over say a movie like the Remake is that it doesn't take itself so seriously. You have to admit the concept of demons and monsters possessing people and trees and the Backwoods white trash twenty something trying his best not to get killed it's kind of an inherently silly concept.

I noticed I've been watching a lot of movies from the eighties lately is it weird that I like watching older films and get satisfaction from them that I barely get from Modern movies?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:38 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Watched Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It was overwhelmingly average. Between the bloated runtime, overreliance on special effects, overabundance of plotlines that served only to make the whole thing even more confusing, the token "because DIVERSITY!" black woman magic president (in fucking 1920S AMERICA), and the supposed "villain" whose main claim to his Evil CardTM was shockingly silly hair, it committed the ultimate cinema crime of just being boring. Not shockingly bad, but just...dull.

I think I was too surprised by my shockingly overpriced popcorn to pay the film much mind, but I did feel that the ending of the film could have been greatly improved if they weren't trying so hard to make the whole thing into another film series to leech. But it doesn't seem like any major cinema release these days can stand on its own two legs without at least one or two late hints that there will be another film. I was legitimately surprised they didn't try to sneak anything in after the credits.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:45 pm

The wife and I watched Mad Max: Fury Road, Target was selling it for $4 on Blu-ray. It's incomprehensible that that movie got made. It's surprisingly good for a movie with almost no plot or character development. It really is just one long, spectacular car chase set piece.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:03 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road

t's surprisingly good for a movie with almost no plot or character development. It really is just one long, spectacular car chase set piece.

I think people miss over the minor details. Action movies do have plots, but the best ones are slim that they play off for the action. It does have the three-act structure: the kick-off of leaving the land controlled by Immorten Joe; the
SPOILER: Show
death of one his wives
; Furiosa's past in the Valley with her family; it's all there but hidden in the amazing action. Don't get too surprised that people think it has no plot, but still disapointed.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:16 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:The wife and I watched Mad Max: Fury Road, Target was selling it for $4 on Blu-ray. It's incomprehensible that that movie got made. It's surprisingly good for a movie with almost no plot or character development. It really is just one long, spectacular car chase set piece.

Well, the reason it's surprisingly good is because it actually does have a fair bit of plot and character development. We aren't used to seeing that conveyed with non-verbal acting, but it's definitely there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:29 pm

There's lots of plot, they just don't tell you what it is.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:17 pm

Just finished watching The Invitation with my Mom on Netflix. It's further proof that - following movies like The VVitch and The Babadook - the best horror movies is being made independently. Go into it as blindly as possible.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:36 pm

Saw Spirited Away in theaters for it's 15th anniversary with my mom. This movie has been a long-time favorite of mine and one that inspired as a kid. It was dark, weird, but had an element of wonder to it that kept me invested. Looking at it now, I see it as a beautiful coming-of-age film that still holds up with the creativity it throws at us. What a wonderful experience that I'm glad I revisited. Still one of my all-time favorites and the start of my love of anime.

Return to “Film and Video”